Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN article about touching the top of the backboard (13ft)

Im wondering the same thing. The NBA has sent letters to sites hosting my videos but that stopped years ago and was only when someone talked about selling them.

Why would you be sued over a video thats already online?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Im wondering the same thing. The NBA has sent letters to sites hosting my videos but that stopped years ago and was only when someone talked about selling them.

Why would you be sued over a video thats already online?
    Because dude took it offline for some reason. It was only one youtube for like an hour, and I just happened to have downloaded it to my phone so I kept reupping it and kept getting copyright infringement letters from Youtube and they were removing it and threatening me with litigation.

I guess you don't post in OTC much so you didn't see it, but last week some SportsWriter who [allegedly] works for ESPN wanted to use the video and was going to pay me 500$ to send it to him, until he found out it's not mine and I don't "own" it.

If yall really want to see it though, I'll just put it in Dailymotion or Rude. They don't give a fuck

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I saw it when it was up. It isnt the NBA trying to sue? Just some company who filmed it?

College superstar

My guess is ESPN or the guy who write the initial article I posted, since it seems to be his taping. Video really has nothing to do with the NBA, except that it was after a Spurs practice, but it wasn't even on an NBA court and James had on his Cincy gear and not his Spurs.

It doesn't say exactly, it just says the owner of the video.

NBA sixth man of the year

Yeah, Doug Thomas did touch the top of the backboard basically. And you can see that his neck is over the freaking rim. Crazy.
    Last edited by dnyk1337; 01-18-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by VeeCee15
    Vince can come close.

In the miami heat charity game he did a self alleyoop in warmup where his head was a LEGIT 1 inch above the rim.

If he was just jumping straight up, VC at his prime, could get around 2-3 inches above rim with his head.

But still he'd be inches off from actually touching the top of the backboard imo.

KOBE? get real.
    i double that

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I really wouldnt bet against a guy like Travis Outlaw getting up there. Ive seen him about close as James white was in that video a year ago. I didnt see video but I saw a still image of outlaw riiiiiight next to the white at the top.
    At the Blazers fan night at the beginning of the season Outlaw and Brent Petway had a dunk contest. Then they both tried touching as high as they could on the backboard. Pentway's fingers were higher than Outlaw's but still about 8 inches from the top. Outlaw was just barely above the square.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

i remember reading a number of years ago that people witnessed spencer haywood and wilt touching the top of the backboard

sorry i dont have the source...

Spencer Haywood? I doubt it. He wasn't really that tall/long and he was athletic, but I doubt he was so freakishly gifted to touch it.
    Wilt's standing reach was said to be 9'6 or 9'8, which would mean he'd need 40 or 42 inches to do it. I don't believe the 48-50 inch claims unless I see hard evidence, but 40-42 inches might be possible.

Here's a rare video of 1971 Game 6 between the Bulls and the Lakers, concentrating on Wilt. Look at the play at 1:48. His head is pretty close to rim level-I say he jumped around 33 inches here. Remember, he's closer to being 35 here and has already bulked up to 300+ lbs, after having suffered his serious injury in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tt13a6b_uA

Well the only players that i've heard that could do it, were old David Thompson and Lebron. Though some earlier poster put up a decent bid for wilt the stilt. That previous vid put up a good bet for him.

HeartHustleHope

I'd only ever heard of Bron doing it.

dan majerle can

College superstar

http://www.dailymotion.com/bigdawgdl/video/6874210

**** it, sue me

Click on my user name and go to the bottom of the profile where it shows my favorite videos. You're welcome.

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

Thanks a lot for the video. Man, the last one, he only look like he's 1-2 inches away from the stick. Dude can fly, literally. Looks very painful landing from so high. lol

College star

A teacher at my high school played with Lew Alcindor/Kareem at UCLA, and he told me Lew pulled this stunt off. Grabbed the top of the backboard. I have no reason to disbelieve him.