Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Default Wilt vs. Mountain Lion

http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...g=4827,1508950

In Chamberlain's autobiography, he describes a feat of endurance - driving his car from coast to coast, stopping only for gasoline and rest rooms. Ramsey told Cartwright that Chamberlain often toured across the country on a whim.

"He had this big Buick that could fly," Ramsey said. "One time Wilt turned right over in it but he got out without a scratch and just kept driving."

"Another time, Wilt was driving across Arizona or New Mexico and stopped by the side of the road for a minute when he was attacked by a mountain lion. Wilt says the mountain lion jumped on his shoulder, and he grabbed it by the tail and threw it into the bushes."

Cartwright looked as if he didn't quite believe it.

"Well, I wasn't there," Ramsey said. "But Wilt says it happened and I'm not about to say it didn't. Besides, he showed me these huge scratch marks on one shoulder. I don't know any other way he could have gotten them."

What a beast!

Default Re: Wilt vs. Mountain Lion

A black man and his exaggerations. Over, over exaggerations.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    A black man and his exaggerations. Over, over exaggerations.
    What Wilt claims is usually true and often presented as a source. I don't see how this is any different. You really think an Arizona cougar stands a chance against Wilt? Wilt is much stronger and weighs more than a cougar, so I don't see how a 175-200 lb mountain lion could take him down. At least that's what I've been told on this board in the past.

Local High School Star

Lets be real here, it was a WEAK era for mountain lions.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by AirJordan23
    The mountain lion was a HOF-er though.

i swear I saw those exact post in a prior thread about Wilt and the mountain lion about 1 or 2 years ago. I think you two came up with the joke independently though.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by WADE MONEY
    i swear I saw those exact post in a prior thread about Wilt and the mountain lion about 1 or 2 years ago. I think you two came up with the joke independently though.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    The mountain lion was a HOF-er though.
    I'm dying.

I definitely heard this before but still funny

I remember this story/thread as well, definitely one of the funniest thread ever.

I doubt it happened, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Adult male Mountain Lions from the area are between 115-160lbs, females are smaller. They're only about 2'-2'6" tall.

They hunt by pouncing from behind and going for the neck, as was said in this story. They attack deer/cattle/etc.

If Wilt was standing up, that weight coming from behind and hitting him in the upper back would likely make his upper body bend forward, from the Mountain Lion's force on his 7'1" body. That would be perfect position to throw something attacking from behind (taught in all self defense classes). Wilt was definitely strong enough to throw a 140 pound animal.

Did all that happen that way? Again, I doubt it, but it is plausible.

Chamberlain > Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, Jordan.

[I]"Wilt was big on stats. One time he called me up and said, 'You know, Harvey, Michael Jordan can't hit a shot beyond 15 feet?'

I said, 'How do you know that?'

He said to me, 'Don't you watch the games?'

I said, 'I don't watch stuff like that. How do you know?'

He said, 'I watch it.'

So, during the height of Michael's career, I got the play-by-play of the first 20 Bulls games and I checked the distance of every shot Jordan took during the season and sure enough, he was shooting 38 percent from 15 feet back. So, I did 20 more and came up with the same result. So then I said, if I did 40, I might as well do 82. Wilt

Winning>Stats

poor Wilt with his insecurities and stupid boasts. died alone never married but said he banged 20,000 women so he must be telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    '"How many layups do you think there were in the last Laker game? Forty-eight. People will tell you guys shoot better now. No doubt they shoot a little better, but not like you'd think from looking at the percentages. Mike Cooper is shooting 59 percent. You want to bet some money he'd outshoot Jerry West? I'll bet my house against him (Cooper) on Dolph Schayes. I'll take Larry Costello and give you any Laker with the exception of Wilkes.

Players just get to the basket (layups) more. It ups their percentage. There's no defense inside. When I played, if the other team ran a fast break two or three times, the coach would assign a forward to break back on defense as soon as the ball went up. I never see a coach doing that now. There were no uncontested layups.

My last two or three years I shot 69 to 73 percent. You think I was a better shooter? No, the defenses got worse and I was able to dunk every damn ball I wanted to. It was easier to get there. When I played against guys like Johnny Kerr . . . He was 6-10 and couldn't jump, but I'll tell you, you didn't get to the basket on him."'

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Chamberlain > Abdul-Jabbar, O'Neal, Jordan.
    The insecure Wilt fan again posts a copy and paste essay that's completely irrelevant to the topic which was making fun of an outrageous claim.

at Wilt suggesting Gheorge Muresan was a better scorer than Shaq.

Imagine if Shaq was in an era where he could get 40 shots a game and stat pad in blowouts.

Look at the 2000 finals. In game 1, Shaq turned a 6 point lead entering the 4th into a 17 point lead with 3 minutes to go when he left. How'd he do it? With 12 points and 2 assists. In fact, he scored or assisted on every Laker basket except 2 Rick Fox jumpers in those 9 minutes. And Fox got those jumpers due to Shaq's presence, iirc.

He had 43 points, 19 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks on 68% shooting and had he stayed in the final 3 minutes to stat-pad in a blowout(like a center who couldn't win as the leading scorer who shall remain nameless) he could have easily had a 50/20 game, and not an inflated 50/20 game in an era with a million possessions either.