Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    It doesnt matter what he ranks all-time it matter how he ranks this year.
    Well its kind of sad we are talking about Nash getting his 3rd MVP, while he isn't even a Top 10 PG of all-time

He didn't deserve MVP last year...Dirk did, explained a million times

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Well its kind of sad we are talking about Nash getting his 3rd MVP, while he isn't even a Top 10 PG of all-time

I agree with you both ways it is sad and neither do i believe he deserved it last year. But if he is the best player at the end of this year then he deserves the award.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Like I said earlier, Nash winning three times MVP would be pretty sick, simply because of the fact that 20 years later, when people loko back at MVP list, people that didn't watch the game but only see the list will believe Nash to be better than Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, and rank Nash on Magic/Bird/Jordan level.

BUT.... it's about time we all stop the "he shouldn't have won any MVP" talk. Maybe he shouldn't have won 2 years straight or probably 3 straight, but now he probably deserves credit for at least one.

Personallly, I am still stunned by what has happened. Just back in 04, Nash wasn't even considered anywhere near Dirk's level. Bibby torches him on the regular in the playoffs, Nash was merely a "good player" around the Rashard Lewis, Mehmet Okur level.... then a year later, suddenly, dude starts dropping Magic Johnson numbers in the playoffs against his old team Mavs (hitting clutch shots over Dirk left and right too), next year, leads a different cast to 50+ wins and another WCF finals run. This year averaging 20 11 3 on 53% FG, 50% 3PT, and 90% from the line!
    Last edited by EricForman; 01-01-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Like I said earlier, Nash winning three times MVP would be pretty sick, simply because of the fact that 20 years later, when people loko back at MVP list, people that didn't watch the game but only see the list will believe Nash to be better than Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, and rank Nash on Magic/Bird/Jordan level.

BUT.... it's about time we all stop the "he shouldn't have won any MVP" talk. Maybe he shouldn't have won 2 years straight or probably 3 straight, but now he probably deserves credit for at least one.
    He deserved the 1st one
    Not the 2nd one

And I am sure they won't give him this one, just cuz he won it twice already

He deserved the 1st one
    Not the 2nd one

And I am sure they won't give him this one, just cuz he won it twice already

I agree that Nash shouldn't have won last year over Dirk. But say if season ended today, or if Nash keeps up this pace and no one really steps up (meaning Lebron's still missing FTs and stats drop off, Arenas still on mediocre team, Kobe's Lakers still playing better when he MISSES GAMES, TD still deferring to Tony Parker just to save energy)... then Nash deserves to win this year. But I am feeling he won't because the league knows Nash having three straight is a bit too ridiculous (it would seemingly put him in the Magic/Bird/Jordan level of greatness).

That would be a flawed logic though. The whole "make up for past mistakes" system. A perfect example is the Academy Awards. In 2000, Russell Crowe won Best Actor for Gladiator over Denzel in Hurricane. Gladiator was nothing but a glorified action flick while Hurricane was a legit flick, Denzel should have won. The Academy KNEW THIS, so next year, they made up for it by giving Denzel Best Actor for Training Day over Crowe for Beautiful Mind. Now I'm sure all the brothas will disagree, but Crowe's performance in Beautiful Mind was considered a lock to win the award, on top of that, Denzel has had better performances than his Training Day performance. So Denzel winning it over Crowe in 2001 is the Academy's way of "making up" for last year's mistakes. Basically, in 2000, Denzel should have won but Crowe screwed him, then next year, it was reversed.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by KWALI
    Glove 20 has done this 1000 times already but compare Nash with KEVIN JOHNSON pre Barkleyt in PHX......you'll find KEVIN JOHNSON did everything that Nash is doing now EVERYTHING....with comparable teamates DIaw --Tom Chambers....Hornacek ... Bell .....Thunder Dan...Marion.....
    Exactly, even at this stage of his career, Nash shouldn't be compared to anything better than a prime Kevin Johnson: in terms of talent they are pretty close except that Nash shoots better while KJ was a lot more athletic; stats wise they are almost the same for both having 20ppg+ 10apg+seasons.

And just to add a little extra info: Kevin Johnson played mainly in the 90's, an era during which the intensity of the defence of the game went totally off the charts, he had to face more defence-oriented teams and "defence friendly" rules (handchecking, no moving screen for example), yet he averaged even better stats than the prime Nash we see today. To be honest I don't think Nash would be able to average anything better than 14ppg, 7apg if he was thrown back to the mid-90's, even with that system.

NBA Superstar

Kevin Johnson is more athletic.....is that supposed to mean something?

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by i seen hippos
    Kevin Johnson is more athletic.....is that supposed to mean something?
    Tell me what makes Dwight Howard better than Chris Kaman.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Change best with most valuable and I agree.

Okay first year Nash won the MVP AI should have won it his team made the playoffs even.

2nd year he won it (last year) Lebron or Kobe should have won it not Nash.

This year he is doing great, and I would vote for him as MVP right now.

But if AI brings his shooting % up, and get's his assists up, and his scoring does not go down way to much and there team gets to 50 wins I would say vote for AI for MVP cause if his team get's the wins, and he is putting up better #'s how are people going to explain not voting for AI?

Quote Originally Posted by Serge
    Okay first year Nash won the MVP AI should have won it his team made the playoffs even.

2nd year he won it (last year) Lebron or Kobe should have won it not Nash.

This year he is doing great, and I would vote for him as MVP right now.

But if AI brings his shooting % up, and get's his assists up, and his scoring does not go down way to much and there team gets to 50 wins I would say vote for AI for MVP cause if his team get's the wins, and he is putting up better #'s how are people going to explain not voting for AI?
    lol whoa the first year nash got it...iverson lead his team to the playoffs...damn thats pretty impressive lol

and iverson only has to do 4 things to win the mvp...I think I can name quite a few players that if they and their team did 4 things better they would win the mvp

thats like saying if ray allen ups his fg% scores more points and leads his team to 60 wins that he should win the mvp

I'm a big AI fan myself... but Um.....NO.

AI made the playoffs two years ago as an 8th seed that got whupped/destroyed/embarassed in the first round.

Yes, AI did put up some amazing 32/8 numbers but if you go strictly by numbers then either Lebron or Kobe would win MVP for the next 5 years and guys like Duncan would never be considered.

Now this is not a diss at AI, but so far he's what, like 2 and 3 on the Nuggets? So let's drop the crap about AI for MVP. I'm a AI fan myself but let's be realistic. Let's say if Melo comes back, the Nuggets starts rolling and finish the season hot, then that would probably give the impression that Melo should be MVP, not AI. So either way, AI's chances at MVP this year is slim to none.

You're obviously an AI fan but let's not get carried away. AI isn't even among the top 5, 6, 7, 8 players this year in the running of MVP. Not when his Sixers were horrible to start the season, then with him going 2-5 on the Nuggets. Again, no diss at AI, I understand the Nuggets are undermanned and once Melo comes back they should be pretty good, but how exactlydoes that translates into "AI deserves MVP", I do not know.

If Erick Dampier ups his FG% by 30%, increase his PPG by 11 points, developes three point range, develope Jason Kidd court vision people should not only give him the MVP, he should knock off Mike as the GOAT.
    Last edited by EricForman; 01-02-2007 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    lol whoa the first year nash got it...iverson lead his team to the playoffs...damn thats pretty impressive lol

and iverson only has to do 4 things to win the mvp...I think I can name quite a few players that if they and their team did 4 things better they would win the mvp

thats like saying if ray allen ups his fg% scores more points and leads his team to 60 wins that he should win the mvp
    Not my point AI only averaged 3 assists less then Nash that year yet averaged double Nash's points. And better in steals he deff should have won it that year he finished 4th.

4 things learn to read. Get his shooting % better and he will once starters come back. And asssists and he will once starters come back 2 things. They will get to 50 wins I think easy with out any more injurys.

No you don't get my point. If he shoots better, and get's better with assists he should win it.

Not my point AI only averaged 3 assists less then Nash that year yet averaged double Nash's points. And better in steals he deff should have won it that year he finished 4th.

Dude.... AI's team missed the playoffs last year, they were a GIANT DISAPPOINTMENT given how weak the East is. Please, stop turning this into "Iverson should have been a contender for the MVP last year but was robbed by Nash".

Only person who can make a case for deserving the MVP more than Nash last year are Lebron (50 wins, amazing 31 7 7 numbers, carrying huge load with mediocre cast) and Dirk (second best record in the league, great numbers)

No you don't get my point. If he shoots better, and get's better with assists he should win it
    1: Right now the Nuggets are pretty mediocre, if they start winning once Melo comes back.... really, how does that MAKE A CASE FOR IVERSON= MVP?????

2: You really think Iverson still has a shot this season despite the first 3 months of the season being tainted already? His Sixers stinking... the whole trade fiasco.... come on man. Iverson is a great player but this season, so far, Boozer/Duncan/Dirk/Nash/Lebron/Kobe/Odom/Arenas/Yao all have better cases than AI for MVP.

You're a fan, it's ok. But stop hallucinating. Only way AI has a shot at MVP is if the Nuggets ROLL (and I mean roll, something ridiculous like they finish the rest of the season 35 and 5 or something) AND some kind of example of AI's contributions will be needed, like say the Nuggets are rolling with a 13 game winning streak, then AI misses three games and the Nuggets loses all three.... only if one of those incidents happens, along with a ridiculous end to the season by the Nuggets will AI have a shot at MVP.
    Last edited by EricForman; 01-02-2007 at 04:23 AM.

4 things learn to read. Get his shooting % better and he will once starters come back. And asssists and he will once starters come back 2 things. They will get to 50 wins I think easy with out any more injurys.

No you don't get my point. If he shoots better, and get's better with assists he should win it.
    stats dont matter to much when considering mvp...the suns went 62-20 that year after missing the playoffs the year before...the sixers were the 8th seed in the weak east

and lol i can read and here are the FOUR things you said need to happen for him to win mvp

1. his fg% go up
    2. his assists go up
    3. his scoring does not go down
    4. nuggets win 50 games