Earned not given

Default Looking to get a surround sound system...

My ISH brethren, I seek opinions on this matter.

I'm looking to upgrade the audio source in my home, as my older surround sound system is obsolete in terms of newer inputs and outputs. It also pops VERY loudly now which is a sign that it's starting to go out.

So anyway, I work at an electronics store and the girl that was helping me out in the A/V department showed me a Yamaha home-theater-in-a-box surround system with 5.1, a multitude of outputs and inputs, and it's relatively easy to set up.

Then I was shown a JBL soundbar that really, really kicks with the bass (which I like) and has bluetooth functionality as well as the outputs and inputs I wanted.

So I suppose my first question is, would you suggest a surround sound system or soundbar for a medium sized room?

Second question would be which brands are reputable and which brands are over priced?

If y'all could give me some insight or opinions on the matter if would be greatly appreciated

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Looking to get a surround sound system...

my wife got me a bluetooth sound bar for x-mas; i really love it.

I don't have surround in my house but my old man has a bose system he got in the 90's that is great. I'm sure it was overpriced but it's still sounds just like a movie theater. His was the kind that just came with the speakers and sub, he had to shell out for a separate receiver.

Sound bars are OK if you don't have a lot of space. Home theaters in a box are typically shit-house. Get a nicely reviewed 5.1 or 7.1 system from Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha with two speakers if you're on a budget and add the others when you have the money.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    my wife got me a bluetooth sound bar for x-mas; i really love it.

I don't have surround in my house but my old man has a bose system he got in the 90's that is great. I'm sure it was overpriced but it's still sounds just like a movie theater. His was the kind that just came with the speakers and sub, he had to shell out for a separate receiver.
    Yea I've heard good things about Bose but I have heard that it's over priced. I may get a receiver from a different company and use Bose speakers though.

Earned not given

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Sound bars are OK if you don't have a lot of space. Home theaters in a box are typically shit-house. Get a nicely reviewed 5.1 or 7.1 system from Onkyo, Pioneer, or Yamaha with two speakers if you're on a budget and add the others when you have the money.
    Yea I'm leaning towards getting a Yamaha receiver and just upgrading the speakers as I go. The sound doesn't have to be AMC movie theater quality but I would like something that really gets your chest vibrating if needed.