Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Dominique Wilkins: Overrated or underrated?

Dominique is a career 24.8 PPG/6.7 RPG/2.5 APG/1.3 SPG. He averaged over 20 PPG in 11 of 15 seasons, over 25 PPG in 10 of 15 seasons, and 30+ PPG twice. He wasn't a great shooter, never averaging 50% from the field in any season. When I see him in highlights, I always saw him dunking. Did he have a decent jumpshot, or was it streaky?

College star

Default Re: Dominique Wilkins: Overrated or underrated?

Possible slightly overrated because of his amazing dunking ability, though he was a great player.

Learning to shoot layups

underrated. hes damn 9th all time in scoring. end thread.

Dominique Wilkins should have been included in the 50 greatest player because he is not only a popular dunker, but he also led the Atlanta Hawks to a competitive record in the mid 1980's.

I think people underrate him because they think Wilkins failed to led his team in the NBA Finals, but during that time the Eastern Conference is one of the strongest conference in the NBA, and I think Wilkins have some historical performance againts the Detroit Pistons, and Boston Celtics.

Achievements in the NBA

1985-86 NBA Scoring Champion (30.3)
    NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Champion: 1985, 1990.
    NBA All-Rookie Team: 1983.
    All-NBA First Team: 1986.
    All-NBA Second Team: 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993.
    All-NBA Third Team: 1989, 1994.
    Nine-time NBA All-Star: 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 04-15-2008 at 06:31 AM.

National High School Star

underrated

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Overrated. His career (on the court) to me has been similar to Vince Carter's.

Bol'd over

Severely underrated, ESPECIALLY his jumper, because people only pay attention to the dunks.

Possible slightly overrated
    underrated
    I think people underrate him
    underrated
    Overrated
    Severely underrated
    Controversial. I think that's the correct word for Nique, much like was the case with Pippen.

Dominique was tremendously underrated. He was the most or the 2nd most dominant scorer in the league for the better part of the 80's. But the reason he gets disregarded is the same reason that MJ was disregarded in that era. The Household names magic, bird, Isiah were busy scooping up rings, and each of them were guys who brought many things to the table outside of scoring. So it became easy for writers and fans to pideonhole Nique as being inferior due to his lack of Championship success. The fact that he hung aorund about 3 years, and drifted around the league, too long also hurts him a ton.

But if you go and look at the accomplishments that Nique had, and his career overall. He's undoubtedly underrated

3-time NBA All-Star

Some people overrate him, but for the most part he is underrated. He should've been on the top 50 list and he should've been on the original dream team over Chris Mullin.

Quote Originally Posted by Celts34
    Dominique was tremendously underrated. He was the most or the 2nd most dominant scorer in the league for the better part of the 80's. But the reason he gets disregarded is the same reason that MJ was disregarded in that era. The Household names magic, bird, Isiah were busy scooping up rings, and each of them were guys who brought many things to the table outside of scoring. So it became easy for writers and fans to pideonhole Nique as being inferior due to his lack of Championship success. The fact that he hung aorund about 3 years, and drifted around the league, too long also hurts him a ton.

But if you go and look at the accomplishments that Nique had, and his career overall. He's undoubtedly underrated
    Hugely underrated. Few in NbA history can match the scoring explosiveness and athleticism of prime 'Nique.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Some people overrate him, but for the most part he is underrated. He should've been on the top 50 list and he should've been on the original dream team over Chris Mullin.
    I think that was the year he tore his achilles. Also, he was born in France so that may have affected it, too (Yes, I realise he was on Dream Team 2).

Dylan spits hot fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    Severely underrated, ESPECIALLY his jumper, because people only pay attention to the dunks.

CLAPS

DUDE GOT INTO A PLAYOFF SHOOTOUT WITH LARRY BIRD
    NUFF SAID

ITS ONE OF THE GREATEST PLAYOFF SERIES AND GAMES IN NBA HISTORY THEY BOTH DROP OVER 40 AND NEITHER WOULD MISS

NIQUE WAS NOT A ONE TRICK PONY!!!!!

NBA lottery pick

I find him overrated in the same sense that Carmelo Anthony is. People usually associate Wilkins with Vince Carter when picking a player who is like him, but actually Carter is a much more complete player. The only thing they have in common is their dunking styles.

Nique was only a so-so defender, and didn't rebound especially well either. He was instant offense, and that's about it. I find Carmelo Anthony's game very similar to Nique. Anthony is credited as being a superstar, but look up the number of double doubles he actually has for his career. Very low.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I find him overrated in the same sense that Carmelo Anthony is. People usually associate Wilkins with Vince Carter when picking a player who is like him, but actually Carter is a much more complete player. The only thing they have in common is their dunking styles.

Nique was only a so-so defender, and didn't rebound especially well either. He was instant offense, and that's about it. I find Carmelo Anthony's game very similar to Nique. Anthony is credited as being a superstar, but look up the number of double doubles he actually has for his career. Very low.

Mathius
    saying all Dominique did was score is like saying all Biggie did was rap.