Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Scoring in college ball is the lowest since the 50's

Jim Barnett mentioned this during the Warriors broadcast tonight...pretty ridiculous. Does shit like that make you fear for the future of the NBA? Clearly, something is wrong with college basketball. Watch a game and you'll see.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Scoring in college ball is the lowest since the 50's

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Jim Barnett mentioned this during the Warriors broadcast tonight...pretty ridiculous. Does shit like that make you fear for the future of the NBA? Clearly, something is wrong with college basketball. Watch a game and you'll see.
    What's wrong? The tournament has been great as always.

I think the decreased scoring is college specific. Not going off much data, but looking at 2 previous big names in the last few years (Anthony Davis and Andrew Wiggins) their scoring in their rookie years were identical to their scoring in their college year. AD increased his scoring every year in the NBA, and now he's at 25 ppg despite only putting up like 14 in college. I'm sure someone who does some real research can find enough proof, or disprove this notion, but I'm working off the top of my head.

Banned

Is it because the court is smaller? College game isn't as free flowing as the pros, they have to pass the ball ALOT, and for 35 seconds at a time.

Makes the game alot more boring tbh.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

It's the physicality allowed in college basketball. There was a great article about it on SI (I think) a couple weeks ago. I think KenPom had a better article on it a few years ago.

College basketball fans have been complaining about what's allowed significantly more over the last 5-ish years. There's seriously some football tackles and shit going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    It's the physicality allowed in college basketball. There was a great article about it on SI (I think) a couple weeks ago.

College basketball fans have been complaining about what's allowed significantly more over the last 5-ish years.
    That's weird because it's a FT shooting contest every time I turn on a college game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

FCK the NCAA. The top 30 programs need to break away and become official minor league for NBA and NFL. It's a joke that prominent sports leagues still rely on amateurs for talent.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    That's weird because it's a FT shooting contest every time I turn on a college game.
    It can certainly become that way. Coach K's lasting impression on the game of basketball will be is foul 200 times, get called for 20 fouls strategy. Severals coaches have adopted that style (Brad Stevens back at Butler, as an example) and it's really drags the game down.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briangof...the-nhls-lead/

Anyway, this is the article I was thinking of...

http://www.si.com/college-basketball...l-scoring-pace

Good points on how to fix college basketball. Don't agree with all but something needs to change.

The more things change, the more they ... get worse. College basketball is slower, more grinding, more physical and more, well, offensive than it has been in a long, long time. The 2014-15 season is shaping up to be the worst offensive season in modern history. Through Feb. 22, teams were averaging 67.1 points per game. That is the lowest average since 1952. ... Thanks to lax enforcement by officials and a foolish decision to reverse the block/charge modification, scoring declined by 3.79 points per game. That is the steepest single-season drop on record.

NBA lottery pick

Crazy how people complain about the NBA being soft but can't enjoy a tough physical basketball league.

All they need to change is the shot clock to 24 seconds.

Shouldnt try and make it into the NBA game where it's just high pick n roll's that are unstoppable if you have the right personal.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Crazy how people complain about the NBA being soft but can't enjoy a tough physical basketball league.

All they need to change is the shot clock to 24 seconds.

Shouldnt try and make it into the NBA game where it's just high pick n roll's that are unstoppable if you have the right personal.
    exactly. I enjoy the NCAA game more because of the physicality. NBA regular season is a joke 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman
    Is it because the court is smaller? College game isn't as free flowing as the pros, they have to pass the ball ALOT, and for 35 seconds at a time.

Makes the game alot more boring tbh.
    You're kidding right? Aside from the 3pt line (which is shorter in college), and the 12 ft wide lanes (NBA is 16...thanks to Wilt), the court dimensions are identical.

The shot-clock is the biggest factor, with coaching the next biggest. Coaches prefer to keep the games closer, even when falling behind.

You can include the "one-and-done's" as well, which reduce actual talent at the college level. If players were forced to play 4 years of college ball, instead of one, the game would have far more talent.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    exactly. I enjoy the NCAA game more because of the physicality. NBA regular season is a joke 90% of the time.
    Aside from the NCAA tournament, I doubt you, or anyone else, watches college basketball. I would rather watch paint dry.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Aside from the NCAA tournament, I doubt you, or anyone else, watches college basketball. I would rather watch paint dry.
    lol yeah, those empty arenas. Poor college bball players.

That's why teams sometimes get upset in the NBA tourney, they are like o god what is this... people?! And freeze up.

I still like college bball, but there is a skill issue. I also like the physicality. They D harder because they have more chance of a turnover. They can play a real zone as well as if they are able to stick someone for 5 seconds well, they can get a turnover.

There just isn't as much bball skill overall as there used to be, I think. We could also say it's due to crazy D, but I don't know. I don't think the coaches are calling bad sets, it's just that there is a lot of chaos. The recipe seems to be to grab a bunch of dudes that can control the chaos (cause turnovers, get rebounds, stop lay ups) opposed to guys who are skill players.

Scoring in the NBA is kind of down to, imo. The numbers might not be, but the actual ability to create a good shot is. The issue just becomes bailout fouls that make the D give up easy shots or march people to the FT line.

There are *some* FT shooting contests in college bball, as said, but it's usually when the game is fixed.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 03-22-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    There's tons of college basketball fans who watch during the year. Lots of people root for their alma matters. Many people prefer the college atmosphere. It's a big business. Not football big, but it is the second biggest college sport. Look at how much TV coverage it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    What's wrong? The tournament has been great as always.
    The actual play has been horrendous. These kids don't even know how to box out or play transition D. The officiating has been stiffing also.

It's cool to see some upsets, but c'mon. Every play in college is basically:

-Lazy screen
    -Pass it to the closest guy
    -Do this for 28 seconds
    -Chuck up a brick 3 or throw something messy at the rim, hope it goes in
    Last edited by T_L_P; 03-22-2015 at 10:17 AM.