Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Bill Russell vs. Wilt Chamberlain

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    That's what a marvel at most about both.

Russell was so good he stopped Wilt Chamberlain from being the undisputed Greatest Player of All-Time.

Look at these numbers, in the 10 years Russell and Wilt shared, here's Wilt's record in playoff series vs. specific opponents.

Dolph Schayes and the Syracuse Nationals: 2-1
    Oscar Robertson\Jerry Lucas and the Royals: 2-0
    Bob Pettit and the Hawks: 1-0
    Rick Barry and the Warriors: 2-0
    Willis Reed and the Knicks: 1-0
    Atlanta Hawks: 1-0
    Bill Russell & the Celtics: 1-7

Imagine if Russell played in the 50's or the 70's. Wilt wins 4-7 more titles and is very likely the undisputed greatest ever.
    G.O.A.T.,

I am a relative newcomer to this forum...and I remember butting heads with you when I first joined. BUT, you (and a few others here) have changed many of my opinions.

Continuing...I have come across some of your posts before I came onboard...and I must say, you have really matured as a writer, and as a valuable resource. There will be some that will disagree with some of your posts, but I certainly think most all here respect them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    G.O.A.T.,

I am a relative newcomer to this forum...and I remember butting heads with you when I first joined. BUT, you (and a few others here) have changed many of my opinions.

Continuing...I have come across some of your posts before I came onboard...and I must say, you have really matured as a writer, and as a valuable resource. There will be some that will disagree with some of your posts, but I certainly think most all here respect them.
    You caught me at a bad time and I showed you little respect. As you're learned I'm sure a lot of folks can really frustrate you here if your goal is to learn and teach varying opinions. When I seen another Wilt vs. Russell thread with a brand new account arguing Wilt, I assumed the worst (another multiple account from a poster with a bizarre agenda). Appreciate your patience in getting to understand my opinions and the reasoning behind them. The more people we have here who appreciate the entire history of the game the better.

3-time NBA All-Star

You caught me at a bad time and I showed you little respect. As you're learned I'm sure a lot of folks can really frustrate you here if your goal is to learn and teach varying opinions. When I seen another Wilt vs. Russell thread with a brand new account arguing Wilt, I assumed the worst (another multiple account from a poster with a bizarre agenda). Appreciate your patience in getting to understand my opinions and the reasoning behind them. The more people we have here who appreciate the entire history of the game the better.
    No, it was a mutual misunderstanding.

And having said that...your GOAT list is a fountain of information. It is one thing to quote some stats...quite another to put them all in perspective. And then you add so many little-known tidbits...just a great body of work. Like I said, I'm sure there are those will disagree with some of your opinions, just as they would mine, or anyone else's...but they will also respect them.

The important thing is that we are all getting an education here. And for all the meaningless drivel that I see on this forum...it is refreshing to read the valuable contributions of quite a few here. Whether we agree or not.

Default Re: Russell in Close Out Games

For those of you who are looking for evidence of Russell's intangibles showing up on the stat sheet.

Here's why he is the ultimate clutch player:

Bill's stat line's in closeout games of the NBA Finals

(points, rebounds,assists,FG,FT)

1957 19 32 2 7-17 5-10
    1959 15 32 5 5-8 5-10
    1960 22 35 4 7-15 8-10
    1961 30 38 7 9-17 12-19
    1962 30 40 5 10-17 10-15
    1963 12 24 9 5-12 2-5
    1964 14 24 11 5-6 4-5
    1965 22 30 4 6-9 10-12
    1966 25 32 1 10-22 5-5
    1968 18 19 6 5-7 8-9
    1969 6 21 6 2-7 2-4

averages of 19.6 points 29.7 rebounds 5.7 assists per game and a field goal percentage of 52 and free throw percentage of 68. Both significantly higher than any numbers he posted for his career. Two 30-30 games, a triple-double and another game one assist away. factor in his reported 13 blocks against Wilt's Sixers in 1964 and you have a closeout game quadruple double in the NBA Finals.
    Amazing post .

Facts Are Misleading

When he retired in 1969 Sporting News ran a feature on why Russell was the Greatest Player Ever. It cited the opinions of over 25 all-star players and NBA head coaches from the era.

In 1971 when the NBA voted for it's Silver Anniversary team, only Russell was a unanimous selection.

In 1980 when they selected the 35th Anniversary team, Russell was voted the greatest player ever.

Why is there a debate now?
    This is really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    Amazing post .
    However, according to my data, Russell didn't have a triple double in that 1964 game. His line was 14/26/6, not 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    However, according to my data, Russell didn't have a triple double in that 1964 game. His line was 14/26/6, not 11.
    His Assist number has probably been six . But maybe , he meant blocks as 11 .

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    His Assist number has probably been six . But maybe , he meant blocks as 11 .
    Maybe he mistook his blocks number for assists. He did think this was his assists' number, though, because he wrote the following:

factor in his reported 13 blocks against Wilt's Sixers in 1964 and you have a closeout game quadruple double in the NBA Finals.