Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Gibson

Default Re: Daniel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    all of it.

Gibson is a beast on offense and defense. We were actually playing good back in '07 with him as the starter instead of Larry "Brick" Hughes. Gibson is also better than Tim Thomas.

???
    Beast

He is a spot up shooter. He was a starter on your 07' team by default. He cannot create his own shot, he cannot penetrate, all he can do is spot up shoot. Defensively, he is nothing special at all. Defense and Gibson should not be in the same sentence

Yea its really saying a lot when you say he was a better point guard than Larry Hughes. Because you know, Hughes is a respectable point guard in the league afterall.

Why don't you tell me reasons he is not what I described him as rather than only say I disagree

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Beast

He is a spot up shooter. He was a starter on your 07' team by default. He cannot create his own shot, he cannot penetrate, all he can do is spot up shoot. Defensively, he is nothing special at all. Defense and Gibson should not be in the same sentence

Yea its really saying a lot when you say he was a better point guard than Larry Hughes. Because you know, Hughes is a respectable point guard in the league afterall.

Why don't you tell me reasons he is not what I described him as rather than only say I disagree

Beast

I see this as a joke thread and Gibson isn't really serious with what he is saying.

McCants is Available!!

How the hell did he even get drafted? It's a damn shame he is making 5+ mil a year and better shooters like Chris Lofton and Aj Abrams can't even find a job.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
    How the hell did he even get drafted? It's a damn shame he is making 5+ mil a year and better shooters like Chris Lofton and Aj Abrams can't even find a job.
    I believe Chris Lofton went overseas and AJ is just TOO undersized for a SG

i bet he will become the next guy for D'Antoni to ring up the 3s. dude is incredibly streaky

Daniel Gibson is very lucky to be where he is.
    Luck has nothing to do with it.

Often the difference between a perceived gamble and a shrewd investment is a little bit of perspective. That and some quality inside information. Such is the partnership between Daniel Gibson and the Cavaliers.

Just how Gibson, a promising rookie starting to establish a role on the team, landed on the Cavs roster is a matter of guts and intrigue that played out behind the scenes last summer. No one on either side is apparently ready to tell the whole story or take credit for the early returns, which make it seem like a potential home run, because the process is still in its infancy. But there's a chance someone might end up having pulled off quite a coup.

Last year after having his position changed and his role somewhat diminished, Gibson decided to leave the University of Texas after his sophomore season. Some draft experts thought it was a mistake, that he was leaving when his stock was low and he should try to raise it by playing another season. Gibson and his father, Bryon, saw it as an opportunity. Like buying low and selling high, the Gibsons formulated a plan that went against the grain.

"At first, I was like `I'm going to go to every workout with every team possible and I'm going to get into that first round," Gibson said. ``But after a while you figure out that what you really want is to get into the right situation, a place you can flourish."

Just when that epiphany came isn't clear, but it was probably after an afternoon in May when Gibson worked out for the Cavs at Quicken Loans Arena. After that workout, Gibson's father, who was acting as his agent at the time, called off a long West Coast trip he'd set up to showcase his son. It was decided that despite being a bubble pick -- anywhere from the late first round to undrafted -- no one else was getting a look. Not even the hometown Houston Rockets, who repeatedly called him wanting to take a look after a preliminary workout. Gibson worked out for just two teams, the Rockets and the Cavs. And he wasn't returning the Rockets' phone calls.

"My parents and I sat down and decided we weren't going to work out anymore," Gibson said. "Teams wanted me to come, but my father stuck to his guns. He told them they could draft me if they wanted, but they weren't going to get a workout."

The Cavs had three picks in the draft last June and Gibson's family already had a relationship with Cavs assistant general manager Lance Blanks, who was formerly a star at Texas himself. In fact, the Cavs had a 50-page dossier on Gibson. They knew all about him, his background, his family, and his game -- a game that perhaps was underused at Texas and then kept hidden from other NBA teams.

Meanwhile, Gibson was doing some research of his own. He was talking to players like Mo Williams of the Milwaukee Bucks, a point guard from Alabama who also came out of college after his sophomore season despite doubters. Williams was drafted in the second round by the Utah Jazz and after a strong season, quickly earned a long-term contract with the Bucks. Williams told him that getting into a position to be successful was more important than being a first-round draft pick. He told him that thinking about your second contract could be much smarter than worrying about your first.

Then Gibson looked at the Cavs' roster. He didn't see a point guard on the team that was still in his 20s. Then he saw LeBron James, a guy close to his age with massive upside and the need for an athletic and sharp-shooting guard. Ideas started to swirl. Perhaps the Cavs would be a perfect place to play, especially long term.

Both sides deny there was a secret promise in place. But considering Gibson's willingness to drop all workouts and hide away, it sure seems like the Cavs wanted him and he wanted the Cavs, and the two sides did more than bat their eyes at each other. The Cavs were willing to take him at in the first round with the 25th pick but jumped at Shannon Brown after he surprisingly slid that far down. There was no real fear of anyone taking Gibson. After all, no one had seen him play in weeks. And so it happened, with the 42nd overall pick on draft night.

The reward to Gibson was a favorable contract. The Cavs gave him two years guaranteed, worth about a million dollars, and did not insert an option for the third season. After next season, Gibson will be a restricted free agent. It is less money up front than all those first-rounders got, but Gibson will be on the open market two full seasons before most of the first-rounders will be. Plus he positioned himself to be on a team where he might be able to get more playing time in those first two years than maybe anywhere else.

Nate Robinson > Daniel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1

Pay attention to the big picture of Daniel Gibson.......not Kobe in the background.

That is all.
    repped

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by NBA4EVER
    Nate Robinson > Daniel Gibson
    i agree.

the list goes as followed:

1. LeBron James
    2. Chris Bosh
    3. Nate Robinson
    4. Daniel Gibson
    5. James Posey

those are the 5 best players in the league

Kurple - no. you didnt rep me.

Banned

Once again dont look at kobe in the background

Quote Originally Posted by AJ2k8
    Once again dont look at kobe in the background

Go Spurs Go

Your fascination with Boobie is very strange.. just like Stro' with Stromile.

I smell some homo erotic thing going on here....

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

he was just awful last year. That's all I am going to say.

Daniel Gibson is a Damon Jones-lite, minus the d-bag personality.

He was hurt a lot last year. A fully healthy Daniel Gibson is a decent threat to have off the bench. He should never be relied upon heavily, but maybe on the right day, he gives you a couple of treys coming off the pine.

It's strange to see how many people going to games at the Q are rocking his jersey. Classic case of a guy having one bright, shining moment (07 ECF) and having that reputation carry him for years to come.