Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: Summer League Games thread

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    ^ agree with the big men take longer to develop than others myth in fact if you look at the PER for player during his first few years (one of the only legit uses for PER) you'll see traditional style big men that play the paint reach their peak PER faster than PGs do
    Found an article recently well I recently found it, it was from a year or two ago, to memory (total memory I don't have the link saved), shooting guards on average (it's not exactly the most accurate thing given circumstances differentiate but as a whole) based on PER and I think PPG as well, the shooting guards developed the fastest, and center's were around the middle, with I think Point guards and power forwards taking the longest. Though I've heard so much that big men take longer, I think it's more simply certain high picked bigmen that games will take longer...take longer , Porzingis as a power forward (center when he packs on muscle) for example will take a while to develop he has good shooting touch but needs to develop both strength and post moves he'll take a little bit, Okafor especially offensively as you say won't as much but you rarely see someone with Okafor's post moves...though he does try to be "too cute" pardon the expression occasionally, he's got great footwork but instead of finishing strong he does try to be cute with his finishing though it often works I would rather him finish stronger but he's only a few games in and will probably get even stronger so I guess that's too harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    All I meant is a center isn't usually the one to run the system like a PG. PG is like the quarterback in football - the most important position to set everybody else up.

Due to that, centers can focus on their own skillset more so than a PG as the PG is the floor general. In order for PG to succeed, he must make those around him better. His success is judged by the success of those around him - "Help me help you". The exception are the scoring PGs like Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose. Once in a while, you also get centers like Hakeem Olajuwon and Duncan that don't need great PGs because they can set everyone else up or they can be like Shaq & be godlike even against triple-teams - this is very rare though.

Of course, a quarterback will not succeed without a wide-receiver or tight-end to spread the field. A PG will need a sharpshooter or 2 and someone with halfway decent paint skills; you can get away with it to some degree though. VERY rarely will a team succeed without a very good quarterback or very good PG though.

On impact alone, I will say a PG ranks #1 on average out of the 5 positions. Center is #2. The other 3 positions blend & mash together depending on strengths and skillsets. Traditionally, the center is concerned with rim protection in the paint protecting the highest efficiency region (with the highest percentage shot) while PG is the floor general & leader of the squad.
    Going to need to break this up into two.

Though I don't watch NFL as much and football to me is soccer or AFL , but I prefer the term floor generals, because point guards these days especially when you have point forwards like LeBron James or shooting guards, point guards isn't the only position to set people up it's simply your best wing player but that's me being pedantic.

Floor generals like that really seem to be an anomaly these days in my opinion, though I think D Russell will be a good floor general in terms of passing and scoring blend, I don't think there are many true floor generals left anymore, Paul is probably the main one that comes to mind (and a lot of his brilliant passing comes from the threat he has offensively scoring in his own right). It's the age of the scoring point guard, though Curry and probably Parker were the first in awhile to lead teams scoring to championships and Parker did have Duncan playing great too, but a true floor general is rare, of the top point guards I think of Paul as a true floor general "make teammates better", Westbrook does if he's not too focused on shooting, really most point guards today it's not because of them being floor generals or passers they are simply scorers which takes pressure of others that makes them good point guards rather than actual floor generals. Rose isn't really he's good at passing but he's score first when healthy and it gives him space to pass if he hasn't got tunnel vision, Paul's a floor general the last true floor general/PG assuming no one thinks the old Rondo's coming back, Westbrook isn't really in terms of making others better (but he got a lot better), Curry is another that kind of is but is still a scorer first but averaged 9 odd last year and close to 8 this year, Lillard is more scoring, Irving is more scoring, Lowry is more scoring though he's a bit of a mix, probably Wall despite averaging 17 is probably the next in terms of floor general ability in the Paul mold but has a bit of a way to go.

All I meant is a center isn't usually the one to run the system like a PG. PG is like the quarterback in football - the most important position to set everybody else up.

Due to that, centers can focus on their own skillset more so than a PG as the PG is the floor general. In order for PG to succeed, he must make those around him better. His success is judged by the success of those around him - "Help me help you". The exception are the scoring PGs like Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose. Once in a while, you also get centers like Hakeem Olajuwon and Duncan that don't need great PGs because they can set everyone else up or they can be like Shaq & be godlike even against triple-teams - this is very rare though.

Of course, a quarterback will not succeed without a wide-receiver or tight-end to spread the field. A PG will need a sharpshooter or 2 and someone with halfway decent paint skills; you can get away with it to some degree though. VERY rarely will a team succeed without a very good quarterback or very good PG though.

On impact alone, I will say a PG ranks #1 on average out of the 5 positions. Center is #2. The other 3 positions blend & mash together depending on strengths and skillsets. Traditionally, the center is concerned with rim protection in the paint protecting the highest efficiency region (with the highest percentage shot) while PG is the floor general & leader of the squad.
    In terms of center's setting others up that's what Okafor will need to do for Philly, he's drawing double and triple teams in summer league it's what he'll have to do. He needs to be that type of center, they don't have shooters or a second scorer/wing scorer.

On that paragraph I've typed enough I'll keep it short, you need a wing ballhandler whether that's a point guard; SG or SF, you just need someone to run the offense position wise it doesn't matter as much, you can have a marksmen Point guard if you have another wing player that handles the ball (though most teams now have scoring points unless your LeBron James at SF).

Honestly in terms of meshing every position meshes these days, as far as I'm concerned, center skillsets play power forward (Lee is more of a center than PF but is 6"9), any wing player can run an offense these days it doesn't matter as much as long as you have someone at one of those positions that can. Lou Williams is kind of a mesh example, he's a shooting guard that guards point guards on defense due to size (no idea why I brought him up but he came to mind), as long as my team has a wing player able to run an offense it phases me little PG; SG or SF, as long as the point guard is reliable in his skillset (Whether that's as a pass first PG, shoot PG, 3 point marksmen PG, that's the Lakers problem the fact they've had so many lackluster point guards especially after Fisher got older I can't say old he was always old ). It's just all blended today, while there's still positions it doesn't matter as much it's about versatility now and whoever is running the offense to me it matters little if they're a point guard or shooting guard if they do the job that's all that matters, especially when you have a great shooting guard like Miami or Los Angeles had in Wade and Byrant or a ball dominant wing player a floor general isn't as necessary (though Chris Paul would have been welcome... ). I see Russell eventually being more the shooting guard that runs the offense, on defense I'd rather him guarding shooting guards than the athletic point guards like Westbrook because he's not quick enough...then again no one is, but I don't know who then guards the point guard.

Too much to respond to on my phone. Well said everyone

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    Same. Read Lakers91s well thought out post yesterday. Will reply later when I am on my pc :p

Quote Originally Posted by daily
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

Same. Read Lakers91s well thought out post yesterday. Will reply later when I am on my pc :p
    I can't shut up I do apologise for that I do try to cut down and then just go well...I've done too much anyway might as well keep going I do enjoy the discussions albeit and I attempt not to sound too arrogant (I don't exactly have any emotional reason for opinions simple my thought process which if it's proven wrong for the better then that's a good thing )

I haven't paid attention to NFL for years, maybe when I move to America I will but until then for someone that observes how will the Steelers go this year, I still kind of go for them even though I pay little attention.