Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How many titles would've MJ's '90s Bulls won if they existed in the '80s?

Quote Originally Posted by cltcfn2924
    Lmao, you know the '86 Celts had 5 Hofers right? Celts in 6.
    I assume youre including Bill Walton. Who clearly wasn't a hall of fame caliber player by 86. If thats the case, so do the Bulls. Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Jackson, Winter, and eventually Toni Kukoc will get in as well. Ad if your gonna count Walton, even though he wasn't playing at a hall of fame level, Ill throw in Robert Parish. That's seven hofers.

Bulls in 6

Default Re: How many titles would've MJ's '90s Bulls won if they existed in the '80s?

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    The point was he had legitimate consensus from coaches. The fact he's even in the conversation giving that much effort defensively, having that much impact even while having that much mileage on his legs is astounding.

But Jordan was better both offensively as well as defensively, and once again clearly out played him in their playoff series against one another?

This myth is so ridiculous. Not saying that you are, but it's perpetuated by Kobe apostles. It makes little actual sense.

People act as if MJ was sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, or drinking the fountain of youth. He was getting older, age's response to wear is more critical than mileage you sustain on a younger, more durable body.

He also was reformatting his body to the rigors of another professional sport, that he was CONSISTENTLY playing. He was even playing in fall leagues in pursuit of his dream. He wasn't just chilling, taking HGH, or "spinning blood" transfusions. Resting up for his next basketball stint.

That's absurd to even insinuate.

His trainer, Grover, has said in regards to both his retirements it's much more difficult to leave professional basketball, fall out of shape required for it ... then come back. It's much more difficult.

And if you really think about it, it makes sense. If you're consistently playing ball, and stay in the proper shape, with constant maintenance it's easier to do it. You don't let a car sit for 2 or 3 years then turn it into a race car next time you drive it.

I think they can beat the '94 Rockets. No question.

I think if Jordan played in '94, and '95 the only difference I definitely see is the Bulls losing to possibly Orlando in their conference, or Houston in the Finals.

I think a '95 loss inspires Jordan to get re-motivated in the same manner as he lost in the actual '95 playoffs, Chicago reloads with a Rodman or Rodman type at PF and they go onto win championships again.

MJ looked beat in '98 because of his age, the burden he carried for half a season, and the fact that was the season at age 35 where his hops disappeared.
    1) Better defensively than Hakeem? Or better overall? I agree that he was better than Chuck, but the narrative made more sense for him in 90 and he got the most first-place votes. That was peak Jordan, he was obviously better. I just think that MVP makes more sense for Barkley than 93.

2) Apologies if I was unclear. I didn't mean that he needed to recharge immediately, but I do think it definitely gave him time to rest that helped him later on (especially in 98). If he'd went through an additional consecutive deep run or two, I don't know how he'd survive in 98.

3) Agreed completely. I do also think Robinson could give them trouble, but the Spurs obviously didn't come out of the west.

4) Yeah, that's what I was alluding to in (2). I think he might lose his athleticism a season earlier if he doesn't take time off in 94, 95. Obviously it's just a guess, though.

@ Samurai Swish

This myth is so ridiculous. Not saying that you are, but it's perpetuated by Kobe apostles. It makes little actual sense.

People act as if MJ was sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, or drinking the fountain of youth. He was getting older, age's response to wear is more critical than mileage you sustain on a younger, more durable body.
    I'd tend to agree with him Swish. People don't understand how much of a toll winning back to back to back championships takes on the body. Not just physically but mentally.

I for one feel that while he was a better athlete during the first threepeat, he was a better basketball player during the second threepeat.

3, at most

Without MJ retiring
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 02-24-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I see them winning four. 81, 82, 86, 87,

would be favorites all year, except 84-86

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cltcfn2924
    Lmao, you know the '86 Celts had 5 Hofers right? Celts in 6.
    Indeed, but the 96 Bulls was better than any team they ever faced in the playoffs. They had some defense slow down the perimeter guys, and had Rodman to fight for the boards. The Celts had one of the GOAT frontlines tho and a perimeter game, so it'll be very interesting. I do think the Celts would win because they had more talent, but I think the Bulls would definitely match up.

3-time NBA All-Star

I'd say 4 in 81, 82, 83 or 86, and 87 i.e. still would be the most successful team of their era.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

They win 81 & 82 for sure. 2 at the least, 4 at the most.

They lose in the ECF in '83 & '86.

none