Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Shane Battier to sign with the Miami Heat

Heat can't have the mini mid level and MLE.

whoa

should be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
    so imagine the perimeter defense now

no holes
    Then why sign him? He feels no need if the scouting reports I read on these forums are true.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StacksOnDeck
    Heat can't have the mini mid level and MLE.
    It's still unclear which one they're using. If it's the mini my guess is Miller's in. Full and he's out.

Very good NBA starter

Great signing for the Heat. Like I've said alot when talking about them - it's scary they made the Finals their first year together with that hodgepodge roster of 2011. Once they start adding more veteran and up-and-coming players they are going to be hard to deal with.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz
    Another overrated player on the Heat's roster. Good for them
    yeah, I dont really get this. Dude is not the defender he once was, though still very good and his 3 ball has always been overrated (and also in decline). Sure, hes a very smart player, but where does he line up? The stars are going to have to play out of position or he will have a pretty limited role.

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

DEFENSE AND MORE DEFENSE.. in Pat riley we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    It's still unclear which one they're using. If it's the mini my guess is Miller's in. Full and he's out.
    I was under the impression that you only got the MMLE if you didnt have an actual MLE due to your cap situation.

Not a scary move. Them getting athletic size would scare me much more. They made a strength even stronger but didn't shore up a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    I was under the impression that you only got the MMLE if you didnt have an actual MLE due to your cap situation.
    From what I've heard if they use the full mid level Miami can't go past about $74 million in salary. Keeping Miller while using the full means basically that they'd have to let Mario Chalmers walk and couldn't sign hardly any vets to minimum deals.

It's the mini mid level that can be used to go into the tax. The full can only be used by teams over the cap, but not in the tax.

At least that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    yeah, I dont really get this. Dude is not the defender he once was, though still very good and his 3 ball has always been overrated (and also in decline). Sure, hes a very smart player, but where does he line up? The stars are going to have to play out of position or he will have a pretty limited role.
    He's not, but if he can stay healthy that's better than having a Mike Miller on the bench.

Still, the Heat shouldn't amnesty Miller yet, since he might get healthy enough for the playoffs. Still a lot of years on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Not a scary move. Them getting athletic size would scare me much more. They made a strength even stronger but didn't shore up a weakness.
    I'd agree to an extent. Miami desperately needs a center, but this move is certainly a positive one. Makes them better.

College superstar

Up and coming players? Where is that??

This adds significant depth the one place they really didn't need it but Battier at a below market price is a nice add for anyone.

I just want to see what they are giving him as that will dictate a lot as far as what the roster is going to look like.

Will Kwame sign for the Vet's min? Whether they gave Battier the full MLE or the mini MLE and are keeping Miller, there is no money left for anyone except the min. I think they can still match for Chalmers but that would be it. And I'm not even certain about that.

Chalmers/Cole
    Wade
    LBJ/Battier
    Bosh/Haslem
    Anthony/Pittman

Not adding a lot... Battier should give them more consistency than Miller and a little better D, a little less reb, and a little less on the shooting (from original expectations at least). I hope they got him for the mini and are able to keep Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    I'd agree to an extent. Miami desperately needs a center, but this move is certainly a positive one. Makes them better.
    i don't think it's a negative but it's not one that worries me as someone who needs to play the Heat. I've heard more about how great Battier is than seen it in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan
    He's not, but if he can stay healthy that's better than having a Mike Miller on the bench.

Still, the Heat shouldn't amnesty Miller yet, since he might get healthy enough for the playoffs. Still a lot of years on his contract.
    miller is a much better shooter and overall offensive player.