Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Are we ignoring the chance the spurs might....

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    Other than Manu/Timmy/Parker, the other guys you listed are nothing special except for the high potential of Leonard. The only reason why they sound so good is because they play for the Spurs.

You could list a slew of any above average IQ roleplayers and then say "Spurs" and they would sound good. I think that's why people don't talk about the Spurs. We know what to expect. It doesn't matter what roster they field, so long as they have Pop and Buford at the helm, they are going to compete, and it's gotten redundant.
    Not really.. the spurs right now have some real high character, unselfish smart guys.. Guys like leanord and Diaw are extremely important.

Weve seen the spurs with Richard Jefferson, George Hill, stephen Jackson level role players just a few years ago and they were losing to the grizzlies.. because those guys are not nearly as smart or skilled or team oriented as the surrounding role players they have now. The spurs cant just make any dumbass smart.
    Last edited by tpols; 09-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Not really.. the spurs only take high character, unselfish smart guys.. Guys like leanord and Diaw are extremely important.

Weve seen the spurs with Richard Jefferson, George Hill, stephen Jackson level role players just a few years ago and they were losing to the grizzlies.. because those guys are not nearly as smart or skilled or team oriented as the surrounding role players they have now. The spurs cant just make any dumbass smart.
    Well I did say above average IQ, typically that means being smart enough to realize when being selfish hurts the team and when it helps.

I actually thought the Spurs liked George Hill as a person, but didn't see him as the right fit given their PG situation and opted to develop Leonard at SF instead. Jackson not fitting makes sense to me, they took a gamble and it didn't work out. The Richard Jefferson saga was the only one that perplexed me.

And I do believe almost all of ISH wouldn't bat an eyelash if we gave all of Leonard, Diaw, Splitter, Green, Mills, Bellinili, Joseph to the Knicks or Lakers for free. High IQ team guys only function well when there's a solid system in place with a top tier coach to tap into their synergies.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Time for the Dubs to get payback for 2013
    RJEFF missing those FTs was a nice "I'm gonna miss you guys" present.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    Everyone always sleeps on the spurs. If it weren't for Ray Allen's miracle three pointer, Spurs would have had back to back championships..... yet nobody talks about it.
    it was the manu meltdown. not allen.

Quote Originally Posted by kamil
    LOL, clear as mud, huh?
    So I am led to assume that because of "motivation" issues that would not have occurred, you will select a team that didn't win the championship the previous year. So the team that won is not the best team.

ellipsis

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    So I am led to assume that because of "motivation" issues that would not have occurred, you will select a team that didn't win the championship the previous year. So the team that won is not the best team.

ellipsis

does the spurs team ever look like a team lacking motivation? the result of 2013 would never change them winning in 2014.. he is red bar for a reason

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxr6
    does the spurs team ever look like a team lacking motivation? the result of 2013 would never change them winning in 2014.. he is red bar for a reason
    I think it made a difference in the lopsided scores.. they probably wouldve won anyways but not by the biggest margins in history. They were pretty pissed they threw it away in 2013 after pretty much having had it locked up.

Local High School Star Megabox!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11

ellipsis
    Just because they "could've" won in 2013 in some sort of "what if" scenario, it doesn't mean they were guaranteed to win again in 2014.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    I predict Tony Parker will end next season with 5 rings and 2 FMVP's

those stats sound familiar?
    Context matters.

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    I predict Tony Parker will end next season with 5 rings and 2 FMVP's

those stats sound familiar?
    Yes, they do. Whenever I see 2 and 5 together, I always think of Lebron.

Can't see how they improve. They were beyond great last year.

Banned

the reason kobe bryant and the spurs both have stuck around for so long is because of the league, media and fans saying theyre both FINISHED every single year since like 2007

every year since then the media comes out with these rankings. theyve had the spurs ranked way behind everyone... theyve had kobe ranked way behind everyone. then surprise..

2008 - kobe finals, kobe mvp, kobe first team all nba
    2009 - kobe finals, kobe finals mvp, kobe champion, kobe 1st team all nba
    2010 - kobe finals, kobe finals mvp, kobe champion, kobe 1st team all nba
    2011 - kobe first team all nba
    2012 - kobe first team all nba
    2013 - spurs finals, spurs should be champions, kobe 1st team all nba
    2014 - spurs finals, spurs champions

2015 - " spurs are finished. kobes finished"

LOL

shhhhhhh

There's always a chance, but seeing how the Spurs have never won back to back titles if I was a gambling man I'd bet with history