Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Serious playground baller toneloc103's Avatar

Default Re: Ricky Rubio 0-10

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    He's an ass scorer. Those ridiculous streetballers you see every once in a while are probably better scorers at the NBA level.

He's like a young JKidd. Absolutely fantastic playmaker, but nobody cares about fancy behind the back passes that result in wide open bricks by JJ Barea or Ridnour. Very good and smart defender, too. He should focus on drawing fouls as his main offensive weapon, since he's already quite good at it and a good FT shooter. For a euro, especially a spanish one, his flopping game is really dissapointing. He should probably attend Rudy Fernandez' summer camp.
    You know what, this is a perfect analogy. One thing I dont hear mentioned is about his durabilty. If Kyrie is considered injury-prone, then what is Rubio?

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc103
    You know what, this is a perfect analogy. One thing I dont hear mentioned is about his durabilty. If Kyrie is considered injury-prone, then what is Rubio?
    Considering how he tore his ACL, just by moving laterally, I'd call him injury prone also.

Learning to shoot layups

Hope so, another season like this and he's probably done.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    you would expect improvement in shooting his 2nd year if he had a healthy off season and training camp to work on his shot. He's coming off an acl tear and didnt have a healthy training camp. I have no doubt this off season he will really really focus on his shot (getting more arc and lift) and finishing stronger at the rim.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    He's an ass scorer. Those ridiculous streetballers you see every once in a while are probably better scorers at the NBA level.

He's like a young JKidd. Absolutely fantastic playmaker, but nobody cares about fancy behind the back passes that result in wide open bricks by JJ Barea or Ridnour. Very good and smart defender, too. He should focus on drawing fouls as his main offensive weapon, since he's already quite good at it and a good FT shooter. For a euro, especially a spanish one, his flopping game is really dissapointing. He should probably attend Rudy Fernandez' summer camp.
    Kidd was not a good shooter in his early days, but he was a better finisher than Rubio. And, Kidd was actually a pretty decent outside shooter by his 3rd/4th year in the league, lingering around 35% from behind the arc.

I've seen a lot of people make the Kidd comparisons, but I just don't see it. Both guys were/are great passers with excellent vision, obviously, but aside form that, their games aren't all that similar.

Rubio is fun to watch and I do think he could be an effective player on a really good team, given the players around him were complimentary to his style of play. I don't think he'll ever get to the level of a prime Jason Kidd, nor do I think he's on the level of a young Jason Kidd right now.

It was the Chris Paul D

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KobeClutchAsFK
    Considering how he tore his ACL, just by moving laterally, I'd call him injury prone also.
    Kobe ran into his leg

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    0 for 10 is only worrisome if it's Ray Allen.

Ricky is a PG.
    2010 NBA Finals, Game 3

What happened to Rubio in Euroleague was that after a few years, teams started to realize that he can't shoot and he can't score. Not that he's bad at it, like some people bring up Kidd or Rondo and try to compare it that way....

but that he almost simply can't do it. He once in awhile has a good shooting game, and he is good at flopping to draw bail out calls from the refs. He's a solid free throw shooter, so he can score that way.

But his ability to actually finish his own shots................unbelievably bad. Probably the worst I've ever seen of anyone to play in Euroleague.

So once teams finally started to realize that, they made the logical adjustment on Rubio defensively and simply stopped guarding him. They just left him wide open the entire game and didn't even bother to put a man on him on defense.

They sagged way off and played 5 on 4 against the other 4 players on his team...........

Once teams in Euroleague figured that out, Rubio basically became a side show attraction with no substance. All his passing angles and his pick and roll play were completely taken away as soon as Euroleague teams did that.

And he just bricked shot after shot after shot after shot, being left wide open. To the point where he became such a huge liability to Barca, that he was not finishing games, barely playing the 4th quarter, and was even getting to the point of not even being allowed to run offense or pick and roll when he was in the game. Because he was such a freaking huge liability on offense.

The saving grace for Rubio in the NBA is that due to the psuedo or fake zone as they call it that the NBA uses, and the rules about being within a certain distance of your man, in the NBA you can't really apply that defense on Rubio.

So in the NBA, it works much better for him. But the same principle still applies. I said this here over and over and over. Rubio will do better in NBA because the rules suit him better (like the defensive 3 seconds and the no hand check - they help every point guard).......

But, I said it over and over, eventually NBA teams would catch on to just how awful a scorer and shooter Rubio is. And I said it, once that happens, they will just have his man stop trying to defend him so much and sag off.

It cuts his passing angles and lanes down. Leave the guy wide open, and it's almost like an automatic turnover if he shoots the ball.

You see last year, at the beginning of the year, NBA teams were playing Rubio all wrong. They had defenders up on him and trying to disrupt him. You can't play Rubio that way. You have to just leave him open and try to disrupt his passing lanes.

It took NBA teams a damn long time to figure that out, considering that EVERYONE in Europe already knew it, and NBA teams all claim to "scout all Euroleague games" (lie - they maybe watch 1-2 in a whole year)......

But at the point that NBA teams finally realized he just can't shoot or score at even the level of a good high school player, well, now the defenses are starting to play him the right way by giving him some space.

The teams will keep giving him more and more space, as much as the NBA defense rules allow, and Rubio will get less and less effective on offense as that happens.

Unless he can develop some type of scoring ability, he's a liability on offense, when teams defend him with the right tactics. And his "scoring outbursts" are always the same.

Just like they were in Europe. Once every now and then, he has a game where he hits some 3 point shots, or gets a ton of bail out free throws from friendly refs that are buying his flops.

He does not have the ability to score other than that for the most part. His defense (by NBA standards), passing, and ball handling are top notch. But damn, is his scoring ability horrid. It's not even at the level of an average NCAA D1 player.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Lol...I bet Allen wants this erased out of his memory

you would expect improvement in shooting his 2nd year if he had a healthy off season and training camp to work on his shot. He's coming off an acl tear and didnt have a healthy training camp. I have no doubt this off season he will really really focus on his shot (getting more arc and lift) and finishing stronger at the rim.
    Rubio is going to "fix his jumper this summer"..........been hearing that every year since he was 16.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Banned

Seriously? He's playing injured and he's a pass first pg,on the right team he has the potential to lead the league in assists yet you guys claim he isn't nba caliber

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    This shit is funny. Rubio is going to "fix his jumper this summer"..........been hearing that every year since he was 16.
    I said he's going to really focus on working on it.

and no doubt youve been hearing that since he was 16, but how many 16 year olds do you know that have a firm, realistic, understanding of the game and ways to improve. Rubio's still relatively new to the NBA, so the chances of him improving in certain facets is not unprecedented. And considering he hasnt had a true off season with the wolves yet, the verdict is still out. Will he improve? One would hope so, but only time will tell. Not wishful posters and not pessimistic ones, either.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Seriously? He's playing injured and he's a pass first pg,on the right team he has the potential to lead the league in assists yet you guys claim he isn't nba caliber
    its idiots who dont understand the game other than scoring big numbers that make claims like that

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I never said that. I've never said anything like that regarding Rubio.

I said he's going to really focus on working on it.

and no doubt youve been hearing that since he was 16, but how many 16 year olds do you know that have a firm, realistic, understanding of the game and ways to improve. Rubio's still relatively new to the NBA, so the chances of him improving in certain facets is not unprecedented. And considering he hasnt had a true off season with the wolves yet, the verdict is still out. Will he improve? One would hope so, but only time will tell. Not wishful posters and not pessimistic ones, either.
    What are the Wolves coaches going to do that Barca's coaches could not do? Or the Spanish national team systems? You do realize that Barca has WORLD class coaching standards right? Or that the Spanish national team has top level developmental training for players........you do realize that right?

You make it sound like he has never had even a half way decent shooting coach. That's just complete nonsense. He's had world class coaching levels for years in Spain and never improved his jumper.

Maybe it happens at some point........or maybe he's just not a good shooter and won't be.

This "he has not had a full summer to work with Wolves coaches" thing is just a nonsense excuse.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 04-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.