Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Who has the best chance of being MVP and DPOY in the same season?

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Yeah but he's not DPOY with Ben Wallace, Shaquille O'Neal, KG, Duncan, Mutumbo, etc. Plus the likelihood of a guard getting DPOY is so low.

Here are the positions over the years that won DPOY

Davis does have a good shot, since he puts up so many blocks and steals, which is what the voters love the most like you said.
    Did you even read what I wrote, or see the name Kobe and just start farting words out yer mouth? Jesus Christ.

He was first team All NBA and first team All NBA Defense each of those early years. He had the best chance since Jordan, but the trends only favor offensively dominant bigs who also rebound and block shots. Hence, Davis moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Forget the defense for a sec: Which one of those years was Kobe even remotely deserving of an MVP? 03 is the best case and even then Duncan>>.
    It would have to be 03 I think. His PER was like a point lower than Duncan maybe and he was still 1st team all D and O.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol

I hope AD gets out of New Orleans as soon as he can, would hate to see him waste the prime of his career in that sh1thole
    I was thinking Gasol too, but the chances of him getting MVP are pretty low. I mean he's not getting any kind of consideration right now with Memphis as #2 in the West... He just doesn't put up elite enough offensive numbers to get an MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Did you even read what I wrote, or see the name Kobe and just start farting words out yer mouth? Jesus Christ.

He was first team All NBA and first team All NBA Defense each of those early years. He had the best chance since Jordan, but the trends only favor offensively dominant bigs who also rebound and block shots. Hence, Davis moving forward.
    I mentioned that you mentioned that in the post you quoted.... Of course I read what you said.

But Kobe Bryant wasn't deserving of DPOY in any of those years because there were too many elite big men... and it wasn't just because of blocks per game. KG/Shaq/Duncan were much more disruptive defenders in those days. In general, a guard has a very low chance of achieving that accomplishment.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

It's called IMPACT you clueless knucklehead. Kobe never had close to the impact those big man named had. It would be a complete Joke to ever give Kobe a DPOY. Even during his best defensive season (2000), he wasn't close to being an DPOY level player. His effort would take a huge hit just the next season in that regard as he became interested in trying to upstage Shaq. It would fluctuate up and down from below average to very good throughout the rest of his prime. Even if you want to discount big men...Kobe's impact as a perimeter defender is completely overshadowed by guys like Pippen, Jordan, Kidd, Payton, Paul. (all former MVP's or candidates...well besides Payton) He is not an all time great defensive player and that is a damn fact. I don't care how many first team all defensive nods were tossed his way. Kobe Bryant being awarded a DPOY at any point in his career is laughable.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 03-09-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Shaq in 2000. Definitely the best offensive player and MVP; his defense that season under PJax' tutelage was phenomenal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    It's called IMPACT you clueless knucklehead. Kobe never had close to the impact those big man named had. It would be a complete Joke to ever give Kobe a DPOY. Even during his best defensive season (2000), he wasn't close to being an DPOY level player. His effort would take a huge hit just the next season in that regard as he became interested in trying to upstage Shaq. It would fluctuate up and down from below average to very good throughout the rest of his prime. Even if you want to discount big men...Kobe's impact as a perimeter defender is completely overshadowed by guys like Pippen, Jordan, Kidd, Payton, Paul. He is not an all time great defensive player and that is a damn fact. I don't care how many first team all defensive nods were tossed his way.
    Phil's words:

[QUOTE]

2012/2013 LeBron should have been that guy.

I don't give a shit about all your kobe-bron-jordan stan bullshit. Kobe was elite defense 2002-2005 and an offensive MVP candidate.
    Kobe wasn't an MVP candidate in 2002, 2004, 2005 and not DPOTY level in any of those years lmao

Jesus christ, I can't believe people are saying Kobe. WTF?

Anthony Davis in his final form.

Nerlen Noel
    He could be the first player to lead the league in blocks and steals. Polish up his offense and the Sixers get into the playoffs....Give it a couple of years

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    2012/2013 LeBron should have been that guy
    For any perimeter player? Yes.

Not the DPOY in a vacuum though. His defensive impact didn't match that of the elite bigs in the NBA (Ibaka even though I think he is overrated, Chandler, Garnett, Howard).

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    I mentioned that you mentioned that in the post you quoted.... Of course I read what you said.

But Kobe Bryant wasn't deserving of DPOY in any of those years because there were too many elite big men... and it wasn't just because of blocks per game. KG/Shaq/Duncan were much more disruptive defenders in those days. In general, a guard has a very low chance of achieving that accomplishment.
    Well the big winning it was Ben and he was below average on the ball and nothing but blocks and rebounds. I've always favored the better on ball defenders like Tayshaun and 'Sheed's peak, LeBron 2011-2013, etc.

Phil's words are pretty worthless. He's just trying to sell books and that passage must have been referring more to 2005-07 opposed to his 2000-2003 defensive prime.

For the rest of you: It's really sad that it's impossible to discuss anything Jordan, Kobe, LeBron related in a positive light with ****tard no-life trolls hanging around here. I don't give a shit about the Lakers and Ibelieve Kobe raped a girl and had her publicly shamed, but early Kobe was DPOY worthy even given guys like Big Ben just grabbing every board and swatting shit into the 10th row. If you can't see that then grow up.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Neither Lebron or Kobe should have done it. You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Bran did have at least a case to be made at one point. Kobe? Just no.

@ wallace deuces refusing to swallow the L. Just pretend its a dick bro, that should make it easier for you.

LeBron probably should have done it, maybe early Kobe, but it won't happen as long as DPOY is simply equated with rebounds and blocks. Given the current voting trends, I agree that Davis would be the best bet.
    This.

I thought Lebron was gona have it in 2013, when he came 2nd in the votes to Marc Gasol.... a guy who never was even in a 1st all-defensive team, not even that year, pretty sad this DPOY criteria.... just give it to whatever random big tree is under the basket, who preferably played in a team that had the best/one of the records... Gasol was never even the best defender in his team, Tony Allen was/is....

It has always been like this, i am always shocked when a perimeter guy wins it (which happens rarely anyways)... because its kindof contradictive to the "just give it to the big guy" criteria... a guy like Scottie Pippen has never won the DPOY and he is the best allround defender ever...
    Last edited by pauk; 03-09-2015 at 08:23 PM.