Default When is the last time a big FA chose NY?

Obviously the Knicks attained amare & chandler by paying more than anyone else was willing. But when was the last time a FA with an equal or better money offer chose the Knicks?

Educate me. Has it happened? When? Who?

Default Re: When is the last time a big FA chose NY?

Rameek and so many others consider it a forgone conclusion that this will happen in the summer of 15'.

Why? What could lead someone to expect something that has never happened?

Barely a bb question. Will someone please explain miracles and what makes you deserving of something that had never happened before?

I love the idea of love Aldridge or Marc coming for free. Gelp me justify this

Krust Kingz

No one has said its a forgone conclusion... There is nothing definitive.

The point you dont seem to grasp is this....

Necessity is these 3 things to make moves in the NBA... (expirers is no longer a top chip)

1. Talent
    2. Cap Space
    3. Draft Picks

This is the currency in the NBA to make trades.

You need to be in position to use your chips to acquire talent. You want to give away the one currency/chip the Knicks has on anything. You hold onto the currency until you can get what you need to be a contender. You are frivolous person just want to acquire crap for the sake of acquiring crap. You have the mentality of the previous regimes in the front office that got this team stuck in mediocrity/losing and constantly disrespected. Acquire bad contracts, you know why they are bad contracts because the ability does not come close to the salary.

Finally we have an intelligent man (although his arrogance is dangerous) that will not just spend money and take away the one piece of currency the Knicks has. The arrogance for example is I believe Zen thinks his system can kind of supersede talent.

There are no guarantees any all-star or super-star talent will sign here but you cant waste the currency just for the sake of wasting it. You hold onto it, you can draft talent and boost the players marketability and league appeal (Exactly what Zen is trying to do with that crap Bargs).

Good question. We've hardly had any decent players come over via free agency (due to a lousy product on the floor) - most of our historical players were either picks or acquired in trades. We did get Allan Houston via free agency...

Digging thru the records, it makes me feel even better about having Phil around. The truth is, we've been a shitty, ill-run organization for most of our history. Looking forward to fixing this.

Oh, and I don't want Ilyasova, Sanders, Smith, Mayo or Jimmer. All duds.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Obviously the Knicks attained amare & chandler by paying more than anyone else was willing. But when was the last time a FA with an equal or better money offer chose the Knicks?

Educate me. Has it happened? When? Who?
    I guess to understand the reasoning first you have to understand what you wrote.

Tyson Chandler tooks less to come to NY.

GS offered more money, and Dallas offered him 20 mil for one year to stay.

And we didnt overpay against PHx either, we guaranteed the whole deal. The amount Amare could earn was exactly the same.

Now with that said, I believe alot of factors will take place as far as free agents go. Listening to Phil, I dont think he'll be a heavy spender in 2015, but rather make a major push in 2016 for Kevin Durant.

To be honest there arent any BIG free agents in 2015 to pursue and the few top free agents I really believe will stay with their teams they are currently on.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    I guess to understand the reasoning first you have to understand what you wrote.

And we didnt overpay against PHx either, we guaranteed the whole deal. The amount Amare could earn was exactly the same.

Now with that said, I believe alot of factors will take place as far as free agents go. Listening to Phil, I dont think he'll be a heavy spender in 2015, but rather make a major push in 2016 for Kevin Durant.

To be honest there arent any BIG free agents in 2015 to pursue and the few top free agents I really believe will stay with their teams they are currently on.
    I'm totally on board with your last statement. And yet I'm not too concerned, because I do believe we have some pieces already. I'm not dreaming of a max player coming... if we can land Marc Gasol, I would be very happy. I think the willingness to do whatever the new regime requires is as important as the skill level of said player.

oh, how long since the last Dolan sighting?

Knicks gave Amare a better contract than he would get anywhere els

I didn't know gs offered more than 4 yrs 60 mill

Wait 2 years now? On even smaller chances to get Durant? It may be me, but one of our guess will be wrong. I just can't see Phil waiting for a gift. I think he will make it happen much sooner.

What a perfect fan base to work over. Expect nothing and can be sold for years on the idea that they will be gifted a superstar

The direction I was trying to go is wanting to figure out what makes so many peoples so sure that something that never happens will happen now. It doesn't just happen to the Knicks. It's all teams. Players don't sign for caps pace unless you overpay them. Or unless it's Shaquille or Lebrun

Krust Kingz

You cant acquire talent without giving up talent or picks. This team isnt deep so giving away any young player creates a hole. I think Zen is going to push Jr and Bargs in the limelight to create a buzz and possibly move them.

If this was the old CBA those expirers would have been good to move but right now that isnt the case. You have to take bad contracts or give up picks to move expirers.

I dont believe he's waiting for 2015 or 2016. He is waiting for the right opportunity.

Gringo's you lack patience and this is why this franchise has been terrible. They get desperate and just make trades that are mind boggling.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Knicks gave Amare a better contract than he would get anywhere els

I didn't know gs offered more than 4 yrs 60 mill

Wait 2 years now? On even smaller chances to get Durant? It may be me, but one of our guess will be wrong. I just can't see Phil waiting for a gift. I think he will make it happen much sooner.

What a perfect fan base to work over. Expect nothing and can be sold for years on the idea that they will be gifted a superstar

The direction I was trying to go is wanting to figure out what makes so many peoples so sure that something that never happens will happen now. It doesn't just happen to the Knicks. It's all teams. Players don't sign for caps pace unless you overpay them. Or unless it's Shaquille or Lebrun
    Amare's contract was guaranteed, it was for the same amount he was offered with Phx. the criterias Phx had for Amare he actually exceeded here in NY.

And yes GS AND Dallas ofered Tyson more.

As far as Durant goes, I think Phil will keep his options open to have the chance rather than spend on mediocre guys who are overall dumb and perennial losers, such as Josh Smith and Larry Sanders...guys no team wants.

Exactly what happens to the Knicks is what youve been suggesting for the longest....acquire talented idiots who dont help teams win games.

isiah isnt here anymore, neither is grunwald. but dont get me wrong I'm not 100 on acquiring calderon mainly because I dont like his contract.

Krust Kingz

All things considered his contract isnt so bad a middle of the road contract for the middle of the road player although the years arent the best.

Amare's contract was guaranteed, it was for the same amount he was offered with Phx. the criterias Phx had for Amare he actually exceeded here in NY.

And yes GS AND Dallas ofered Tyson more.

As far as Durant goes, I think Phil will keep his options open to have the chance rather than spend on mediocre guys who are overall dumb and perennial losers, such as Josh Smith and Larry Sanders...guys no team wants.

Exactly what happens to the Knicks is what youve been suggesting for the longest....acquire talented idiots who dont help teams win games.

isiah isnt here anymore, neither is grunwald. but dont get me wrong I'm not 100 on acquiring calderon mainly because I dont like his contract.