Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: To the people who think Bird was a better passer than Lebron....

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Yeah, the ball could have been thrown a little more accurately physically maybe.
    Not really. Notice the defender lunging for it and coming close. LeBron led Durant perfectly.

Sarcasm detectors must be in disrepair on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Overrated pass. Look how Durant has to reach for the ball.
    That's not an overrated pass.
    That is a brilliant pass by any measure.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Not really. Notice the defender lunging for it and coming close. LeBron led Durant perfectly.
    True.

Regardless, the best part of that pass was his vision in knowing he was there and that a pass could have been made.

And what the gif doesn't even show is that before Lebron got the ball, there had just been like 2-3 failed fast-breaks back and forth between the teams and everything was getting out of hand. Probably 99% of players would have just caught the ball and proceeded to dribble and "slow it down"...maybe even dribbling the ball backwards a few times and waiting for everyone to clear before proceeding to bring the ball up the court.

College star

Higher assists per game equate superior passing skills?

So Andre Miller is a better passer than Larry Bird than, according to Pauk logic? No wait, I need to insert some highlights from YouTube and provide links to basketball reference before I can give it the pauk stamp.

The gap between the two is slim, if not completely non-existent. However, per usual, the lining of your logic as to why the gap is small (or why one is better than another) is faulty.

I've noticed pauk's go-to description when belittling Lebron's competition is the term "pure scoring" and he actually used it on Larry Bird!

I'll take Bird's passing ability and court vision.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Higher assists per game equate superior passing skills?

So Andre Miller is a better passer than Larry Bird than, according to Pauk logic? .

bird and lebron play th same position

andre miller plays pg

stop hugging bird's nuts and pay attention to what dude wrote

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

This is a tough one.We have two sides.Lebron is one of the best passers however in terms of creativity i think bird has the edge though thats not saying much because.Both are truly exceptional.Another point is bird was never a PG.He just didnt have the tools for that.

So i think if we are looking for a PG i would say definitely lebron however if you want something out of the post position or in the half court i would say bird.

However with all that being said i would want lebron as my distributor because lebron can pass out of the post too but bird couldnt play PG even for stretches.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

not sure how many years Bird played with DJ but from that point on....Bird might have thrown some great passes here and there but that was never his main responsibility.

Bron has been the best passer on every team he's been on....has primarily run the offense and has NEVER played with a pg of DJ's caliber

Bird was a high volume scorer with superior clutch ability...he had pg level vision and passing ability but that was more of a bonus to what his team needed from him

Bron exhibits pg level passing ability and vision and that's a key part of his game,,he's taken criticism throughout his career for finding WIDE open teammates for layups rather than taking contested shots

I feel like LeBron is a better open court player and passer, while Bird was a better improvisational passer.

You're simply unproving your point by saying LeBron plays more PG and he's more of a PG than Bird ... No sh*t, he has better handles (not that Bird didn't have it) plus he's obviously more athletic, Bird didn't have the lateral quickness to be PG.

LeBron has had much more ball-handling duties than Bird, easier to get more assists that way.
    Larry at most played point forward, almost never brought the ball up court, plus he played with real PG's and at least good passers, in Tiny, DJ, Ainge, Henderson plus guys like Walton, even McHale.
    Bird did most of his passing from the SF position, or from the post, even on fastbreaks, he worked more as a playmaker and starter rather than a PG, he didn't have to possess the ball too much to have big passing numbers.

Plus you think that it takes more to drive and dish (like LeBron does many times) than to pass from a stationary position like Larry did? lol

And LeBron has played with great 3pt spot shooters throughout his career, he always draws the double team when driving, easy to kick it to the outside, Bird didn't work with much of that.

Bird has much less USG% than LeBron and also played less minutes for his career right now, much less ball-handling duties/time.
    LeBron one of my favorite players right now but he's not a better passer than Bird.

I can also show great highlights of Bird, better imo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o66NdFDHEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTI-Cmkp87A - His long passes are just unmatched in the history of the NBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnRtgBGMl4
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 09-19-2012 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Andre Miller>LeBron as a passer. He averaged 10.8 apg for a season and has a higher career apg average

LOL, seriously

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I already said why Bron isn't as great, but I'll repeat it.

Bron takes too long to pass in comparison, he telegraphs his passes much more, can be indecisive very often, and to be honest is very predictable. He also doesn't come close in reading the defense like Bird does. Bird is quicker and more decisive at reading the defense, his reactions and execution are instantaneous far more than Bron's.

Not to say Bron isn't a great passer, just not as good when compared to Bird and a few others.

Banned

Lebron is perhaps the best passer in the closing minutes of a game, LOL.