Default 6-on-6 Basketball in Iowa

http://www.iptv.org/iowastories/stor...full-doc/video

In 1993, the era of girls' six-on-six basketball in Iowa came to an end. This one-hour IPTV documentary takes a look back at the game and what it meant to generations of girls who played it.
    One of the most acclaimed sports in Iowa history, six-on-six was especially popular in small towns. It was there that young women became queens of the court, where communities rallied behind their daughters, and where school leaders, mostly male, fought for girls' equality. Like no where else in the country, young women in Iowa have played the game of basketball for over a century.

Six-on-six was unique. The girls who played it and the rural communities that loved it were part of an experience that may never again be replicated in any sport, by either gender. For Iowans, it was More Than a Game.

Rules
    Under rules enacted in 1934:

Each team played six players at a time, three offense/forwards and three defense/guards. (The 6 on 6 wasn

College superstar

Default Re: 6-on-6 Basketball in Iowa

Sounds interesting, but way too much down time. Would be fun to do if they had to do something while the ball was on the other side.

College superstar

Built in cheerleaders, for sure.

That must have been sloppy as hell. I've come to realize the more people playing, the harder it is to score.

It's easier to score in a 3 on 3 than in a 4 on 4.
    A 4 on 4 full court is basically open court and the spacing is awesome as compared to 5 on 5.

I'm sure team defense has something to do with it. If you get beat off the dribble in a 3 on 3, there is less players rotating to help than if it was 4 on 4. Women play sloppy basketball to begin with... but 6 on 6??? You would have to pay me to watch that

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    That must have been sloppy as hell. I've come to realize the more people playing, the harder it is to score.

A 4 on 4 full court is basically open court and the spacing is awesome as compared to 5 on 5.

I'm sure team defense has something to do with it. If you get beat off the dribble in a 3 on 3, there is less players rotating to help than if it was 4 on 4. Women play sloppy basketball to begin with... but 6 on 6??? You would have to pay me to watch that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbWV0p03s44

What's your paypal info?

College superstar

Clearly didn't read.

3 on 3 on each end of the court. Those players never left their sides. Each team fielded a 3-person Offense and 3-person Defense.

"An offensive player could only dribble two times before she had to pass or shoot and she only had three seconds to make that decision..."

Could you imagine if the NBA was like that

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    "An offensive player could only dribble two times before she had to pass or shoot and she only had three seconds to make that decision..."

Could you imagine if the NBA was like that

Yea spurs would crush the entire league and finish the regular season 80-2

dude did you read the rules? It's 3v3 on both sides of the court

nah

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    Yea spurs would crush the entire league and finish the regular season 80-2
    Word.

[QUOTE=jongib369]http://www.iptv.org/iowastories/stor...full-doc/video

In 1993, the era of girls' six-on-six basketball in Iowa came to an end. This one-hour IPTV documentary takes a look back at the game and what it meant to generations of girls who played it.
    One of the most acclaimed sports in Iowa history, six-on-six was especially popular in small towns. It was there that young women became queens of the court, where communities rallied behind their daughters, and where school leaders, mostly male, fought for girls' equality. Like no where else in the country, young women in Iowa have played the game of basketball for over a century.

Six-on-six was unique. The girls who played it and the rural communities that loved it were part of an experience that may never again be replicated in any sport, by either gender. For Iowans, it was More Than a Game.

Rules
    Under rules enacted in 1934:

Each team played six players at a time, three offense/forwards and three defense/guards. (The 6 on 6 wasn

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Clearly didn't read.

3 on 3 on each end of the court. Those players never left their sides. Each team fielded a 3-person Offense and 3-person Defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    dude did you read the rules? It's 3v3 on both sides of the court
    You're right, I didn't read it outside of the first sentence

But what I said still holds true. A game of 3 on 3 amongst Offensive minded players in the NBA, is near impossible to defend even if you have 3 great defenders covering you. There's just too much space and not enough help.

Unless we're not talking about NBA players but women's basketball.

You're right, I didn't read it outside of the first sentence

But what I said still holds true. A game of 3 on 3 amongst Offensive minded players in the NBA, is near impossible to defend even if you have 3 great defenders covering you. There's just too much space and not enough help.

Unless we're not talking about NBA players but women's basketball.
    Yeah, which is why they made a 2 dribble/3 seconds with the ball rule