Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Arrow Who are the Greatest Third Options in NBA History?

James Worthy
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin McHale
    Tony Parker/Gino?
    Dennis Rodman
    Big Ben?

Just to name a few

How would you rank them? Who's the greatest?

Default Re: Who are the Greatest Third Options in NBA History?

Worthy
    Parish
    Ginobili
    Allen
    Bosh
    Rodman
    Toney
    DeBusschere
    Laimbeer
    Heinsohn
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 08-01-2014 at 12:40 AM.

Banned

If we're talking stat-wise then:
    2011 LeBald

Although, if you factor in impact he's probably the worst ever.

Banned

2011 LeBald

Quote Originally Posted by GODbe
    2011 LeBald

lol

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GODbe
    2011 LeBald

Won't lie. Sometimes this GODbe dude cracks me up. Definitely a better troll than 9er/kenneth

Learning to shoot layups iDunkOreo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Won't lie. Sometimes this GODbe dude cracks me up. Definitely a better troll than 9er/kenneth
    Do the jokes ever get old to you? It's been the same thing for years now: Lebron folded, hard, in 2011. We get it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Dennis Rodman was a third option?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iDunkOreo
    Do the jokes ever get old to you? It's been the same thing for years now: Lebron folded, hard, in 2011. We get it.
    I'm a lebron stan but I have a sense of humor. GODbe has his shtick, and is unapologetic about it

7-time NBA All-Star

Well, this may be of interest, even though it's slightly different from what you're asking, but I put together a list of who were, in my opinion, the best 3rd options on championship teams the last 20 seasons.

1.2012 Bosh
    2.2007 Manu
    3.2013 Bosh
    4.2004 Sheed
    5.2008 Ray Allen
    6.2014 Manu
    7.2009 Odom
    8.1998 Kukoc
    9.1996 Kukoc
    10.1999 Avery Johnson

Of course, you didn't exclusively ask for championship teams or the last 20 years, so I'll add to that.

Andrew Toney was obviously a great one in '83 and '84, same with James Worthy from '84-'86, McHale in '84, Dennis Johnson in '86, Norm Nixon in the early 80's, particularly '82, same with Jamaal Wilkes, particularly in '80. Horace Grant in 1992, and Wilt seemed to be the Lakers 3rd option in '69 behind West and Baylor, which was a point of contention between Wilt and Butcha Van Breda Kolff. Of course, there was also Bob Dandridge for the '71 Bucks title team behind Kareem and Oscar.

Most of those guys won titles, so expanding it there's Steve Nash/Michael Finley on the Mavs in 2002 and 2003. Finley being more the 2nd scoring option, but Nash being more important to the offense with Dirk obviously the man. Then there's Barkley and/or Drexler on the '97 Rockets. Difficult to say who was really the 2nd or 3rd option, though. Mike Bibby was pretty damn good for the 2002 Kings as well. Hell, the 2000 Blazers barely had a true first option between Sheed, Pippen, Steve Smith, Sabonis and Damon Stoudamire, though I'd say Sheed in the post(where he was pretty damn tough back then) was the first option, but pretty much take your pick after that. Then there's the Run TMC Warriors of '91 with Hardaway, Richmond and Mullin, who shared a pretty equal offensive load, but if you count one as the 3rd option, then there you go. Sam Cassell on the early 00's Bucks with Jesus and Big Dog. Detlef Schrempf on the Sonics with Payton and Kemp is another.

This is off the top of my head, so I know I'm forgetting some good ones, but it's sort of take your pick as far as the best one.

Also worth noting is by 3rd option, I was going with the actual 3rd option offensively as opposed to 3rd best player which the OP seemed to mean. For example, Kukoc was the 3rd option on the '96 Bulls, but Rodman was easily the 3rd best player.

lol @ Rodman as a third option. He was a very, very great basketball player. But he was not an "option".

GODbe is a repetitive gimmicky f@ggot.

James Worthy is probably the greatest third option in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Well, this may be of interest, even though it's slightly different from what you're asking, but I put together a list of who were, in my opinion, the best 3rd options on championship teams the last 20 seasons.

1.2012 Bosh
    2.2007 Manu
    3.2013 Bosh
    4.2004 Sheed
    5.2008 Ray Allen
    6.2014 Manu
    7.2009 Odom
    8.1998 Kukoc
    9.1996 Kukoc
    10.1999 Avery Johnson

Of course, you didn't exclusively ask for championship teams or the last 20 years, so I'll add to that.

Andrew Toney was obviously a great one in '83 and '84, same with James Worthy from '84-'86, McHale in '84, Dennis Johnson in '86, Norm Nixon in the early 80's, particularly '82, same with Jamaal Wilkes, particularly in '80. Horace Grant in 1992, and Wilt seemed to be the Lakers 3rd option in '69 behind West and Baylor, which was a point of contention between Wilt and Butcha Van Breda Kolff. Of course, there was also Bob Dandridge for the '71 Bucks title team behind Kareem and Oscar.

Most of those guys won titles, so expanding it there's Steve Nash/Michael Finley on the Mavs in 2002 and 2003. Finley being more the 2nd scoring option, but Nash being more important to the offense with Dirk obviously the man. Then there's Barkley and/or Drexler on the '97 Rockets. Difficult to say who was really the 2nd or 3rd option, though. Mike Bibby was pretty damn good for the 2002 Kings as well. Hell, the 2000 Blazers barely had a true first option between Sheed, Pippen, Steve Smith, Sabonis and Damon Stoudamire, though I'd say Sheed in the post(where he was pretty damn tough back then) was the first option, but pretty much take your pick after that. Then there's the Run TMC Warriors of '91 with Hardaway, Richmond and Mullin, who shared a pretty equal offensive load, but if you count one as the 3rd option, then there you go. Sam Cassell on the early 00's Bucks with Jesus and Big Dog. Detlef Schrempf on the Sonics with Payton and Kemp is another.

This is off the top of my head, so I know I'm forgetting some good ones, but it's sort of take your pick as far as the best one.

Also worth noting is by 3rd option, I was going with the actual 3rd option offensively as opposed to 3rd best player which the OP seemed to mean. For example, Kukoc was the 3rd option on the '96 Bulls, but Rodman was easily the 3rd best player.
    Great post, bro. Wish I could rep you. Bunch of players I completely forgot about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    who said i'm here to dance for people.

and who's trolling?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    who said i'm here to dance for people.

and who's trolling?
    If you aren't trolling, then that makes most of what you post a lot sadder and more embarrassing.

Decent playground baller redboy's Avatar

whoever was the third option in the finals last year for the spurs did a hell of a job