Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Ever wonder where some NBA players live?

When teams like the Knicks were giving their pitch to people like Lebron, location was probably a big factor in their speech. "There's no city like New York". But the fact is that most of the knicks players live in Westchester - not NYC. Amare is living in David Lee's apartment in White Plains. I live in White Plains. There's actually decent night life here - but I doubt any knicks players actually hang out here. I also thought it was odd that Lee (and now Amare) had an "apartment" and not a house in nearby Harrison or Scarsdale like other knicks players/staff. Getting to the garden from here is easy by train+subway, but of course they don't use the train. Assuming they must drive or have a limo or whatever, I've only heard of one knicks player being late for a game due to traffic which was surprising to me in all the years I've been watching. It's even more surprising considering they play even when it's snowing and commuting from westchester to nyc can be difficult. I also always wondered what it's like for players in small markets where there's very little things to do or places to go. Has anyone ever given this much thought?

Good High School Starter chris2010's Avatar

Default Re: Ever wonder where some NBA players live?

Taxes play a huge role in the NYC living.

Won Avy Bet

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan
    I also thought it was odd that Lee (and now Amare) had an "apartment" and not a house in nearby Harrison or Scarsdale like other knicks players/staff.

Lee and Stoudamire are guys in their 20's. They're not married and they don't have kids (at least none that they live with). They also have careers that could require moving at a moments notice. Why would it surprise you they have apartments and not houses?

Amare makes 100 million. I'm sure he can afford to get a nice house and sell it if he needs to move. How nice can David Lee's apartment possibly be? There's two "luxury" apartment buildings here. Ritz and trump towers. Both are in the center of the city where all the teenagers hang out - near starbucks and the movie theater. They can't even step out of their apartment without being swarmed by teens. I'm sure they might have a more secluded private apartment somewhere in white plains - it just makes me wonder.

No surprise. When the Sonics were here, I don't think one of them actually lived in Seattle. Well, Radmonivic did live in a hotel downtown

IIRC, Amar'e has a filthy ass penthouse somewhere in "West Village". Is that David Lees place?

It could be just a temporary place. Not everyone buys a mansion as soon as they move.

Quote Originally Posted by thejumpa
    IIRC, Amar'e has a filthy ass penthouse somewhere in "West Village". Is that David Lees place?
    West village is in NYC. But in the last few knicks games the announcers said multiple times that he's in Lee's apartment in Westchester.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan
    West village is in NYC. But in the last few knicks games the announcers said multiple times that he's in Lee's apartment in Westchester.
    Ehh Amar'e is rich as hell and just signed for $100M. If he is staying in Lee's old spot, it's probably temporary. That would be my guess anyway.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This is supposedly the apartment Lebron was going to get in NY. It's at the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0..._apartment.php

National High School Star AKADS's Avatar

If you are single why would you want to buy a house in a city where you might not even spend your summer. Between traveling during the season and not living there in the winter. Thats a lot of up keep just for a place to sleep for 41 games a year. I know a lot of them will live in a hotel just because they aren't there that often.

Apartments offer an easier lifestyle for someone who doesn't live full time in one city.

National High School Star

Someone I know met an ex-nba player that was now in pharmaceuticals. He said his whole time in the NBA he lived out of hotels. Basically didn't see the need to settle down when he was living the life and didn't have any family around.

When Shaq played in Cleveland, he rented a house in a suburban neighborhood in Richfield. I remember watching the news and they interviewed his neighbors.

House over apartment in NYC but if you are a NBA player, or any athlete, it's better to rent.

I heard that Kobe gets driven to a local hotel by Staples and chills there before the game to avoid traffic. If he decides not to go early, he has a helicopter with a hired pilot flying him to the games.

Pretty sick because he gets to avoid traffic and comes in as he pleases.

LOL damn.