Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bol'd over

Default Who was the more underrated player; Nate Thurmond or Artis Gilmore?

Artis Gilmore
    -ABA All-Time Team (1997)
    -ABA MVP (1972)
    -ABA Rookie of the Year (1972)
    -5x ABA All-Star (1972-76)
    -5x All-ABA First Team (1972-76)
    -5x ABA All-Defensive First Team (1972-76)
    -ABA All-Star Game MVP (1974)
    -ABA Playoff MVP (1975)
    -6x NBA All-Star (1978, 1979, 1981-83, 1986)
    -1x NBA All-Defensive Second Team (1978)
    -NBA career leader in field goal percentage (.599)

ABA Averages: 22.3ppg 17.1rpg
    NBA Averages: 17.1ppg 10.1rpg

Best resume of any player not in the Hall of Fame, hasn't received a single vote in the last three years.

Nate Thurmond
    -Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1985)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Who was the more underrated player; Nate Thurmond or Artis Gilmore?

Ignoring the "weak era" and "kobe is jesus" comments from trolls, this is an interesting discussion.

I like Artis Gilmore here, although Ive never seen either of them play, he puts up very nice numberz and has a very nice resume, its sad he isnt in the HOF because he had a very nice ABA career.

Nate Thurmond is the slightly better player while Artis Gilmore is the more underrated player.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

since nate made the HOF, seems like artis is the more underrated. at ish, nate is more underrated because fewer people here actually saw him

personal note: when i was a kid watching the warrior's games, nate as well as clifford ray used to scare the sh!t out of me-- they both looked like they could take slick watt's head off when he went down the lane!!

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

artis gilmore i hardly even heard of him

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    artis gilmore i hardly even heard of him
    http://www.mixmakers.net/forums/nba-...ml#post1444569

Value Ape.

ABA guys often get slighted or ignored entirely. So I would say Gil.

Not in the hall.

Bol'd over

When there was a thread a few weeks ago where we picked the all-time starting line-up for our favourite teams, I was the only Bulls fan to pick Gilmore at centre. Most people had Bill Cartwright or Horace Grant playing out of position over a guy who shot .599 from the field for his career and averaged a double-double.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    When there was a thread a few weeks ago where we picked the all-time starting line-up for our favourite teams, I was the only Bulls fan to pick Gilmore at centre. Most people had Bill Cartwright or Horace Grant playing out of position over a guy who shot .599 from the field for his career and averaged a double-double.
    Wow. I didn't think he was THAT underrated. That's quite an oversight. In combination with that fact alongside the fact he has not found his way into the Hall of Fame, it would appear that Gilmore is the most underrated of the two.

However, from a personal standpoint, Gilmore comes to mind much more often than Thurmond, in spite of the fact that oftentimes one reminds me of the other. I've decided I think of Gilmore though because he had a more memorable appearance. With the basketball Hall of Fame not catering to just one league (and thus including the ABA) I feel Gilmore should get a HOF nod.

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Nate Thurmond is the slightly better player while Artis Gilmore is the more underrated player.
    Wow that is 100% accurate. A good thread with good responce in a sea of endless troll driven filth. Very nice!

Ice

Bol'd over

I still love this Gilmore picture, I wish I could get it as a poster

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan
    Wow that is 100% accurate. A good thread with good responce in a sea of endless troll driven filth. Very nice!

Ice
    Cheers mate and good to have you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    Ignoring the "weak era" and "kobe is jesus" comments from trolls, this is an interesting discussion.

I like Artis Gilmore here, although Ive never seen either of them play, he puts up very nice numberz and has a very nice resume, its sad he isnt in the HOF because he had a very nice ABA career.
    Kobe is Jesus. Just for you c0cksucker, since you insecure haters are the ones that always bring it up.

Anyway, the answer to the OP is Artis Gilmore. I've seen Nate Thurmond receive his dues numerous times. Gil? Some people don't even know who the dude is, and it's quite sad to be honest.

*bump

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Artis Gilmore isn't in the HoF...wtf?