Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Bombay
The Sole Controller

Default Paper Knicks Espn Article Interesting Read

Paper Knicks

On paper, the New York Knicks are flat-out nice.
Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford starting at guard. Zach Randolph and Quentin Richardson at the forward spots, and Eddy Curry at center.

Rebounder extraordinaire David Lee, energy bugs Renaldo Balkman and Nate Robinson, and solid backup Dan Dickau coming off the bench.

On paper, that squad is not only a playoff team, but an incredibly dangerous playoff team in the Eastern Conference.

But the problem for the Knicks is that games aren't played "on paper."

Before I go further, here's a qualifier: Most of the Knicks are good guys away from the court.

Marbury has become an outstanding, even revolutionary, example of "keeping it real" and for using one's celebrity for a great cause with his low-priced yet fashionable Starbury shoe and clothing line. I absolutely love what he's doing in that regard.

Crawford is as nice a guy as there is, and Richardson and Curry are extremely personable as well.

I did a story on Zach Randolph years ago for ESPN The Magazine and loved him. I met his boys, spent time at his family's house, talked to his former teachers and coaches, hung out with his brother Roger (who's been accused of shooting at people), and even spoke to a local cop who vouched for Zach's character.

Zach is truly a nice guy. His problem is that he's a follower and when he's surrounded by the wrong folks, he does the wrong things. If surrounded by great, veteran, professional teammates, my bet is he'd be fine.

That's where things get tricky with him going to the Knicks.

I loved their draft-night trade because they gave up nothing to get Randolph. Steve Francis had to go, and Channing Frye is just decent, so even if Zach has problems in New York, the Knicks won't be any worse.

Here's the problem: All the evidence -- and there's plenty -- says the Knicks players aren't winners.

Their problem is not physical or talent-related, it's mental -- in their heads and their hearts. When it comes to winning basketball, they're deficient characterwise.

If they weren't, they would have won more than 33 games last season. If they weren't, they wouldn't have gone in the tank after Isiah Thomas got his contract extension late in the season.

If they weren't, their longest winning streak of last season would not have been three games. If they weren't, they wouldn't have followed a big win at Miami with a home loss to Boston, or a win over Chicago with a 22-point loss at Philadelphia.

Every time you thought the Knicks had turned the corner last year, every time you wanted to believe in them, they mocked your faith and lost to a buster.

All that tells me these guys just don't have the strength of character (basketballwise) to win consistently.

Randolph seems to fall into the same category.

In the four seasons since he's become a dominant player -- basically a 20-10 guy -- the Blazers failed to make the playoffs even once.

I advocated in my previous blog that New Jersey offer Richard Jefferson for Zach. I think with veteran leaders like Jason Kidd and Vince Carter, Zach would have been problem-free and helped the Nets become EC contenders.

But in a character-challenged locker room, I wonder how Zach will fare.

I hope my instincts are wrong, and the Knicks play up to their wonderful "on paper'' potential.

But if they don't, I won't be surprised.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...roussard_chris
Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Default Re: Paper Knicks Espn Article Interesting Read

It sounds like the proverbial glass half full mentality.

He does bring out a point, a team takes on the personality of it's coach and Isiah has always been a winner. He does not like to loose and I see Marbury and Curry starting to take on his persona in that respect.

Q is another guy who hates to loose, you can see it on his face, same for Lee. The reason Z Bo took over on the Portland team is because nobody stepped up and he put the team on his shoulders. That's the kind of player who wants to win.

So this guy is not looking at the positive side only one negative side that is somewhat abstract and he is making a prediction on the psychology of winning sports he must have read somewhere.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Bombay
The Sole Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman
It sounds like the proverbial glass half full mentality.

He does bring out a point, a team takes on the personality of it's coach and Isiah has always been a winner. He does not like to loose and I see Marbury and Curry starting to take on his persona in that respect.

Q is another guy who hates to loose, you can see it on his face, same for Lee. The reason Z Bo took over on the Portland team is because nobody stepped up and he put the team on his shoulders. That's the kind of player who wants to win.

So this guy is not looking at the positive side only one negative side that is somewhat abstract and he is making a prediction on the psychology of winning sports he must have read somewhere.
most knick articles are negative. So i always try to find the good within the hate. Hopefully the players read the BS and get motivation from it.
Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

i disagree with alot of things he said. y didnt he mention the injures the knicks had at the end of the season. theres no team in the nba that had the same number of injures as the knicks. some teams maybe lost 1 or 2 guys but not most of a starting lineup and key guys of the bench. but he is right that they have a good team on paper. its been like that for the last 3 years.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
j Fresh
Local High School Star

He's right in some ways. He says they have the talent, but it's their mindset.

They are good enough to win but they don't, I think this team needs a veteran presence in the locker room who always has a positive attitude and someone who the whole league will respect.
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
brooklynchild155

i think the knicks are goin to have a better season because i dont think they are goin to be satisfied with winning a game. for example when u look at better teams in the nba. they are not satisfied winning a game because they go into everygame saying were supoose to win. it seemed like a lot of times last season when the knicks would win a game they would be to happy. they need to stop that. its understandable because after the larry brown fiasco there goin to happier to win. but the knicks need to go into every game saying to them selfs that were goin to win no matter who they face and not take anyone lightly. i seriously believe that the knicks will come into next year hungrier because they have been losing for to long, and i think they goin to have the mentality that its goin to stop right here right now.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
evodeadd
Learning to shoot layups

I disagree with the article...maybe character/mindset plays some role in their losing but I think that comes from experience playing with the same guys over a period of time.

He doesn't mention the roster was revamped entirely in the past 2 years.
A team needs time to gel...and the knicks did during mid season but couldn't sustain it due to injuries.

I saw evidence of a change in character and mindset which resulted in the knicks winning games...and this year...I hope to see more of it!!
evodeadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
John Starks
Local High School Star

I disagree with the article - there is no such thing as a "winner" and a "loser" mentality. Everyone has some loser and winner inside them and various circumstances bring out the sides of us.

The Knicks losing is entirely based on their mental apporach to the game - not winning/losing, actual game knowledge and x's and o's.

Watching good teams play, you'll see that they have at least one of the following: 1) superstar payer to carry entire team no matter what they do; or 2) they move the ball and protect the paint.

The GREAT teams have both. Good teams have one. The Knicks have neither.

None of the Knicks really moves the ball or protects the paint. It doesn't make the mlosers, plenty of "winner" have been poor at moving the ball. Elvin Hayes hadn't a clue how to move the ball and he was still a "winner", he just played on squads where everyone else knew how ot move the ball and Unseld protected the entire paint.

Adding Z added another guy who does not move the ball or protect the paint. Lee wants to move the ball and ptp, Q moves the ball, Step thinks he moves the ball well - but the vast majority of the team hasn't a clue how to do either and that's why they lose and why they'll lose this year.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #9
brooklynchild155

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
I disagree with the article - there is no such thing as a "winner" and a "loser" mentality. Everyone has some loser and winner inside them and various circumstances bring out the sides of us.

The Knicks losing is entirely based on their mental apporach to the game - not winning/losing, actual game knowledge and x's and o's.

Watching good teams play, you'll see that they have at least one of the following: 1) superstar payer to carry entire team no matter what they do; or 2) they move the ball and protect the paint.

The GREAT teams have both. Good teams have one. The Knicks have neither.

None of the Knicks really moves the ball or protects the paint. It doesn't make the mlosers, plenty of "winner" have been poor at moving the ball. Elvin Hayes hadn't a clue how to move the ball and he was still a "winner", he just played on squads where everyone else knew how ot move the ball and Unseld protected the entire paint.

Adding Z added another guy who does not move the ball or protect the paint. Lee wants to move the ball and ptp, Q moves the ball, Step thinks he moves the ball well - but the vast majority of the team hasn't a clue how to do either and that's why they lose and why they'll lose this year.

i disagree with what u saying. ball movement is not the problem with this team. the problem with this team is they do to much dum sh*t. they need to play with more common sense.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

they turnover the ball too much
Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
John Starks
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
i disagree with what u saying. ball movement is not the problem with this team. the problem with this team is they do to much dum sh*t. they need to play with more common sense.

I'm not sure that the two concepts are mutually exclusive - I was just specific about the dumb sh!t they do (freeze the ball). Is there other dumb sh!t you wantto focus on or is it that you want ot tell the team "stop doing dumb sh!t" and think they'll just know what you mean.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

Stop turning over the ball, that's a start to stoping the dumb stuff.

We can go through a list, but that's a good start.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: