Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: 40 point playoff games(Active leaders

Quote Originally Posted by LilBTheBasedGod
    He probably won't get as much anymore since hes sharing usage with Wade.
    I used to think that, but now I don't see it that way. One will be hot and will likely be more dominant in the scoring. I see more 40 points for one and 25 for the other. Not so much both getting around 30 points. If they sense one of them is the opposing coaches target, the other one will go off. But this takes awhile to develop. I don't see it working on Boston but that's another thread.

Very good NBA starter

LeBron is incredible.

Not airballing my layups anymore

MJ >>>>>>>>>>>> KOBE >>>>>>>> LBJ

Very good NBA starter

was just as impressive for Lebron is almost half of his 40 point games have been damn near 50 point games.. (albeit like 2-2 in those games).

49 points VS. Orlando May 20 '09
    48 points @ Detroit May 31 '07
    45 points @ Boston May 18 '08
    45 points VS. Washington May 3 '06

In his first ever playoff series against Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler's Wizards, Lebron wasn't that far from averaging 40 points a game finishing the series with 35.6 PPG / 50.9 FG%.
    Last edited by SCdac; 01-29-2011 at 04:13 AM.

Now what about 50 pt games?

Value Ape.

I'm surprised I guessed 4 of the top five right. (I had Timmah! at 5 rather than Irk) I'm not usually good at that sort of thing. I did guess way off on Shaq's total tho. Figured him for 20ish.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by -23-
    Only 4 active players have done it. VC, Kobe, Dirk and Ray Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    I'm surprised I guessed 4 of the top five right. (I had Timmah! at 5 rather than Irk) I'm not usually good at that sort of thing. I did guess way off on Shaq's total tho. Figured him for 20ish.
    I thought Dirk had more than Duncan, but what's surprising is that Dirk has had multiple 20/20 playoff games. Maybe some will appreciate Dirk a little more, he's been a great playoff performer, one of the best of his era.

Active leaders for career 20/20 playoff games.

Shaq- 15
    Duncan- 10
    Dwight- 5
    KG- 4
    Boozer- 3
    Dirk- 2

No active player has had a 20 point/20 assist playoff game.

Only 4 active players have had 30/20 playoff games. Shaq did it 10 times, Duncan did it 4 times, KG did it 3 times and Marion did it once. Shaq is the only active player with a 40/20 playoff game, he did it 4 times, three of them came in the 2001 playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by -23-
    Barkley,Ray ray,VC kobe Dirk and Karl Malone have one
    A.I has two i think
    and MJ about 4 or 5

Kobe got 50 against the Suns in 06

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    No doubt the greatest post-season scorer, and by a mile. Still, Shaq's Finals, from 00-02 were, IMHO, 1-3 as the greatest in NBA history.
    Shaq was just fortunate. he met Olajuwon, Malone and Jordan, result : 0-4, 0-4, 1-4 and 0-4. then those guys were done and the league became so weak for some more reasons. His peak has happened at the best moment.

i'm not contesting his performances and his domination, but i think there was not enough competition to put his perf at the top in my list.

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Interesting.

Kobe has only 1 50 point game in his long playoff career.

Not what you'd expect considering the hype he gets.
    Last edited by BEAST Griffin; 01-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.

by numbers, just take a look at Barkley's amazing 93 playoffs run :
    3 +40pts games
    2 20-20 (38-21 and 44-24)
    1 40-20
    2 triple double (32-12-10 and 43-15-10)
    game series winner against spurs

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    Shaq was just fortunate. he met Olajuwon, Malone and Jordan, result : 0-4, 0-4, 1-4 and 0-4. then those guys were done and the league became so weak for some more reasons. His peak has happened at the best moment.

i'm not contesting his performances and his domination, but i think there was not enough competition to put his perf at the top in my list.
    I don't think that's fair, Olajuwon, Malone and Jordan all had more mature, experienced casts. Not to mention that Shaq was in his 3rd year when he faced Hakeem and Hakeem was at his peak.

If you break down each series he faced that guy, you'll see that the difference usually wasn't because of Shaq. And he did beat Jordan's Bulls in '95. Technically he beat Hakeem in '99, though he wasn't the same Hakeem.

I don't see how he could've beaten Malone's Jazz in '98 with how terrible his teammates were in the series. Van Exel shot 24% from the field, Kobe shot 37%, Horry shot 36%, Fisher shot 35% and even his second option Eddie Jones shot just 41% and averaged 15 ppg. Shaq was the only guy on the Lakers who could score consistently in that series, he carried almost the entire scoring load with 32 ppg on 56% shooting.

And in '96? He faced a 72-10 Bulls teams and to make matters worse, Horace Grant wasn't 100% going into the series and he was done midway through game 1, so they got 0 points and 1 rebound out of Grant in the series, Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott didn't produce at all and I believe both Anderson and Brian Shaw got injured midway through the series. I don't know any player who could've beaten the '96 Bulls with that many injuries to their team.

Of course, Shaq took the next step as a player with Phil coaching and Shaq turning 27 which is around the time most players play their best basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    Interesting.

Not really, the playoffs aren't about being a one man show. You don't win in the playoffs that way. Kobe has had phenomenal playoff runs the last 3 years and his 2001 run was amazing as well. Look how rare 50 point playoff games are these days, the fact that only 4 active players have them and none of them have more than one should tell you something. The fact that Kobe is second among active players in 40+ point playoff games is impressive itself.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 01-29-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    Interesting.

The Lakers are 10-1 in the Playoffs when Kobe scores 40 or more. A 90% winning percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I don't think that's fair, Olajuwon, Malone and Jordan all had more mature, experienced casts. Not to mention that Shaq was in his 3rd year when he faced Hakeem and Hakeem was at his peak.

If you break down each series he faced that guy, you'll see that the difference usually wasn't because of Shaq. And he did beat Jordan's Bulls in '95. Technically he beat Hakeem in '99, though he wasn't the same Hakeem.

I don't see how he could've beaten Malone's Jazz in '98 with how terrible his teammates were in the series. Van Exel shot 24% from the field, Kobe shot 37%, Horry shot 36%, Fisher shot 35% and even his second option Eddie Jones shot just 41% and averaged 15 ppg. Shaq was the only guy on the Lakers who could score consistently in that series, he carried almost the entire scoring load with 32 ppg on 56% shooting.

And in '96? He faced a 72-10 Bulls teams and to make matters worse, Horace Grant wasn't 100% going into the series and he was done midway through game 1, so they got 0 points and 1 rebound out of Grant in the series, Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott didn't produce at all and I believe both Anderson and Brian Shaw got injured midway through the series. I don't know any player who could've beaten the '96 Bulls with that many injuries to their team.

Of course, Shaq took the next step as a player with Phil coaching and Shaq turning 27 which is around the time most players play their best basketball.
    you know well that i know all those things dude.
    i'm not saying he was choking, he was so tough for every teams and has performed in playoffs since the 95 campaign, but you have to admit that once the superstars have left, the road was much more easier to dominate. plus, he was at his peak so it was perfect to set his reign.
    but seriously, wasn't tougher to battle the 00 pacers and the 01 sixers than the 97-98 jazz? see my point?

you are unfair with shaq versus hakeem 99, he was well past his prime