Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default LeBron vs Pippen

Against my better judgement, I was watching First Take a couple of days ago, and I thought Stephen A Smith said something very interesting. (Naturally, it wasn't an opinion of his.)

"Apparently" (and I emphasise this), Scottie went up to Stephen A in one of the games and said something along the lines of (I can't remember the exact quote, so paraphrasing): "Jordan is without a doubt the greatest, but I can't deny what I'm seeing from LeBron. He's got thirty pounds on me, I don't think I could have guarded him'.

Now Scottie has said some questionable things about LeBron in the past, but I couldn't actually believe he said that. He is widely considered to be the greatest perimeter defender ever after all. Thoughts?

Default Re: LeBron vs Pippen

I doubt Pippen would say something like that. He could probably guard Lebron as well as anyone in NBA history.

lebron is a beast but pippen has never not guarded an opponent because of size.

I don't know what would happen but I think Pippen is selling himself short here. From the 90's he's one of the few that could play him one on one and probably beat him.

Complete Player

If Pippen said that then he's overrating the hell out of Lebron. Aside from his passing I think Lebron's offensive game is tailor-made for Pippen to slow down. The quicker players with explosive first steps like Grant Hill and Penny used to give Pippen trouble but Lebron has an average first step at best which is why he needs a screen and a head of steam to beat most defenders. Pippen has also defended bigger players (Barkley, Webber, Larry Johnson, etc) with post games 3x better and more refined than Lebron's mediocre post game.

not the first time pippen has thrown comments to worship lebron. He also thinks lebron is the GOAT

this guy stays salty because he'll forever be remembered as robin, so tries to prop up Lebron against MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    I don't know what would happen but I think Pippen is selling himself short here. From the 90's he's one of the few that could play him one on one and probably beat him.
    I agree with the sentiment that Pippen is selling himself short here, but he isn't beating LeBron in a one on one. He could limit LeBron offensively, but LeBron has improved his perimeter shot immensely and is still the best finisher in the league.

One on One Lebron is just way to big/strong/fast/quick/explosive accompanied with great ballhandling he will keep blowing by or overpowering anybody standing in the way.... Not one man on this planet or this planets history could contain Lebron one on one... in a game he is not cautious / hesitant to attack on the man infront him but the multiple men behind that man doubling/traping/shading/headdiving in to flop charges etc.... one man infront of him will be just on a island by himself trying to guard the freight train coming at him.. a freight train that changes direction like a gazelle...
    Last edited by pauk; 05-17-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    If Pippen said that then he's overrating the hell out of Lebron. Aside from his passing I think Lebron's offensive game is tailor-made for Pippen to slow down. The quicker players with explosive first steps like Grant Hill and Penny used to give Pippen trouble but Lebron has an average first step at best which is why he needs a screen and a head of steam to beat most defenders. Pippen has also defended bigger players (Barkley, Webber, Larry Johnson, etc) with post games 3x better and more refined than Lebron's mediocre post game.
    I agree with pretty much all of this. As LeBron has bulked himself up over the years, his first step has slowed down. He almost looks sluggish now when he starts to drive. Pippen has the speed to keep up with him.

Butler gave LeBron a lot of problems in this series. You can say that LeBron wasn't himself and his shot was inconsistent, but a lot of that was down to Butler and the way he prevented LeBron from getting into rhythm. And we're talking about Pippen here...

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    One on One Lebron is just way to big/strong/fast/quick/explosive accompanied with great ballhandling he will keep blowing by or overpowering anybody standing in the way.... Not one man on this planet or this planets history could contain Lebron one on one... he is not cautious / hesitant to attack on the man infront him but the multiple men behind that man doubling/traping/shading/headdiving in to flop charges etc.... one man infront of him will be just on a island by himself trying to guard the freight train coming at him.. a freight train that changes direction like a gazelle

yes homo
    Alright.

LeBron averaged 23.6 on.438 (16 FGA) against Butler and the Bulls this post season, i think Pip would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry
    LeBron averaged 23.6 on.438 (16 FGA) against Butler and the Bulls this post season, i think Pip would be fine.
    He was destroying Butler, overpowering him in the post or blowing by him... just like anybody who ever stood in his way.... but like i said, its only team defense (5 guys) that can contain Lebron... each time for example Lebron had an iso against Butler notice Noah/Boozer/Gibson in the paint or right behind zoning ready to trap Lebron or draw a charge or immediately sending help.... thats the ONLY thing Lebron looks at when he gets the ball offensively, how the TEAM defense will play him...
    Last edited by pauk; 05-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.

He was destroying Butler, overpowering him in the post or blowing by him... just like anybody who ever stood in his way.... but like i said, its only team defense (5 guys) that can contain Lebron... each time for example Lebron had an iso against Butler notice Noah/Boozer/Gibson in the paint or right behind zoning ready to trap Lebron or draw a charge or immediately sending help.... thats the ONLY thing Lebron looks at when he gets the ball offensively, how the TEAM defense will play him...

oh man, this is such a joy to read

thats the ONLY thing Lebron looks at when he gets the ball offensively, how the TEAM defense will play him...
    Maybe he should have been looking at the basket, he only shot .438

I love Scottie, but I don't see him being able to stop Lebron. No single player is gonna stop him or even slow him down. It's always team defense that's gonna slow him. Lebron stopped paying attention to his main defender years ago. It's always the 4 other defenders that are ready and willing to leave their man to come over and double or triple team him once he gets past his primary defender. I guess haters will say otherwise. I'm just being honest and unbiased.