Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: 6'7 Wade or 6'8 Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Duderonomy
    Sorry but police height charts are not guaranteed accurate - that pic has been posted thousands of times as if it makes Barkley's admission to being only 6-4 and 3/4 (and Chic Hearns suspcian he isn't even 6-5) and the 1992 Olympic's 6-4 and 5/8ths measurement totally irrelevant? It doesn't, it just means the police that arrested him have a shitty height chart that needs adjusted. And pic judging on a photograph with 600+mm's of zoom and both players slouching and not even on the same plane? really? Do you even know how misleading that is? C'mon now. And every pic of him with Jordan shows them about the same height. P.S. Jordan is also about 6-4 and 3/4 w/o shoes. MJ measured 6-4 and 7/8ths in that same 1992 Olympics.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 05-16-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Sorry but police height charts are not guaranteed accurate - that pic has been posted thousands of times as if it makes Barkley's admission to being only 6-4 and 3/4 (and Chic Hearns suspcian he isn't even 6-5) and the 1992 Olympic's 6-4 and 5/8ths measurement totally irrelevant? It doesn't, it just means the police that arrested him have a shitty height chart that needs adjusted. And pic judging on a photograph with 600+mm's of zoom and both players slouching and not even on the same plane? really? Do you even know how misleading that is? C'mon now. And every pic of him with Jordan shows them about the same height. P.S. Jordan is also about 6-4 and 3/4 w/o shoes. MJ measured 6-4 and 7/8ths in that same 1992 Olympics.
    Can we just call him 6'5" without shoes then? As for the height chart I'm sure Barkley was probably wearing shoes...

If Barkley was 6'4" then Jordan was 6'3"... because I watched those guys entire careers... and Barkley was taller than MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    If Barkley was 6'4" then Jordan was 6'3"... because I watched those guys entire careers... and Barkley was taller than MJ.
    Or Barkley wore thicker shoes - and since both were near as makes no different the same height w/o shoes (approximately 6-4 and 3/4) some slightly thicker shoes would make Barkley appear taller. Also, Barkley's shoulders might have been higher on his body, thus creating the illusion of additional height. Wilt Chamberlain was built with high shoulders, he often looked taller than other "7 footers" he stood next to - such as Artis Gilmore in the 72 ABA vs NBA ASG - the announcers were convinced either Artis wasn't 7 foot 2 or that Wilt must have been 7-4. The difference was merely how their body was shaped - the height to the top of their heads was about the same. P.S. who taught you how to round numbers? 6-4 and 3/4 doesn't round to 6-4.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 05-16-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Can we just call him 6'5" without shoes then? As for the height chart I'm sure Barkley was probably wearing shoes...
    Sure, I'm not trying to split hairs here I just post precise numbers because I can cite them. The 1992 Olympics did not say Barkley measured "6-5" nor Jordan. They said 6-4 and 5/8ths and 6-4 and 7/8ths. Obviously both guys are near-as-makes-no-difference 6-5. But if I take the liberty to round, some asshole at some point in time is gonna be like "you lied you said ____ when the sources really said _____" - i'm just trying to be factual

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Are you out of your mind? 6'3"???? Really?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Growing up watching them, I always felt Jordan was slightly taller than Barkley. They were very close.

At the end of the day, we're talking about fractions of an inch one way or the other. Jordan was probably technically closer to 6-5 than 6-6 and Barkley was closer to 6-5 than 6-4.

The point still stands, however, because neither guy was close to 6-8.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Growing up watching them, I always felt Jordan was slightly taller than Barkley. They were very close.

At the end of the day, we're talking about fractions of an inch one way or the other. Jordan was probably technically closer to 6-5 than 6-6 and Barkley was closer to 6-5 than 6-4.

The point still stands, however, because neither guy was close to 6-8.

As said, 1992 Olympics:

Barkley - 6-4 and 5/8ths (6-4.63" for those who don't like fractions)

Jordan - 6-4 and 7/8ths (6-4.88" for those who don't like fractions)

That's as precise a measurement as you guys could hope to get - they are only just now starting measuring players this precisely in the NBA draft.

So yes, MJ is a smidge taller than Barkley without shoes, however it could be imperceptible the difference is so little. Both guys heights could be rounded to "6-5" or "6-4 and 3/4" It just depends on how you want to round. NEITHER of them should be rounded down to 6-4. And one can argue that they are 6-6 if you want to take the stance of their in-shoes height (which technically was never measured, but could easily be hypothesized to be in the ballpark of 6-6)

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

A Prime 6'8" Allen Iverson

or

A Prime 10'9" Shawn Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    A Prime 6'8" Allen Iverson

or

A Prime 10'9" Shawn Kemp
    Neither. A 12'8 and 13/23rd's Shaq would own both.

College star

Barkley >>>>>>>>>>>> Wade regardless of height.

I wouldnt take either of them at different heights. Their basketball legacies wouldnt improve with a larger size. Their sizes are what made them what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    A 6'7 Wade is basically just Lebron James with a worse 3 point shot.
    Better shot blocker. No way to tell if he'd be better at boarding, but given how hard he goes, I bet he would. So basically it's like a BETTER LeBron w/ a worse 3 point shot and worse passing/court vision.

I'm surprised not many people said 6'7 Wade. It's no contest. Legit 6'7 is huge for a SG. Wade already played bigger than nearly every SG.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 05-17-2013 at 05:25 AM.

How about a 10 foot LeBron with little hands so he could still control the ball.

NBA rookie of the year

Probably Barkley. As sad as it is, a 6'8/6'9 Barkley would probably be the best center in the NBA today, forget just the PF position.