Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #31
Silverbullit
Good college starter

Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: why there are no good big man now

Thread title is wrong, there are many GOOD big man!
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #32
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

my guess is the OP isn't a fan of magic johnson
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #33
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemondude
When people look at big man they look at Dirk and say Dirk's game is great. Which to me is sort of misleading since big man are suppose to dominate the game with power not shooting. Even STAT is spending time on his jumper and less on his post up, sure not so much now, but just you watch in 3 or 4 seasons he'll be another Dirk.

Anyways, stop developing players like Dirk, Big man are suppose to spend time in the paint not the 3 point line that's the Guard's job.

Anyone else think Center and power should go back to owning the paint instead of the Three?

I think you have a pretty good point here when you consider why it happens.

Most big men throughout HS and even college can rely on their size and strength and/or athleticism to score inside. So instead of developing a post game they're told to work on 'a good 15ft jumper'.

So when they make it to the NBA and are playing against bigger and more talented players they fall back on the jumper and working the high post.

EDIT: There are good big men in the league today, but hardly any have a strong low post game.

Last edited by Put Back Dunk : 06-19-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #34
Gotterdammerung
God-killer

Gotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this boardGotterdammerung is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
dirk is nowhere close to a "big man." he's just "big." He stands at 7ft. that's it, as far as "big" is concerned. but in terms of gameplay, he's nowhere close to a "big man." a "big man" has inside game, has an interior presence, is not allergic to the paint, and defends the basket from small guys laying it up on his tall ass. dirk is seriously lacking in those departments. he is not a "big man." he's just a "big" guy who plays "small."

You are my favorite poster today.
Gotterdammerung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #35
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
i dont know about Nene...what about Oakafor?

I know, but I dont see to much upside for Oakafor in the offensive side he is more of a defensive player, maybe a Mutombo career or Camby, but good I think he can be include too,
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #36
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Yes. Yao Ming, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer, Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, all of them still own the paint.

O'Neal? Hardly. If he ever got healthy.

But none of those players you listed dominated in the same way as say.. Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem, Kareem, Younger Shaq, etc. etc.

And what happened to just solid defensive guys inside like Charles Oakley, X-man, Otis Thorpe, Horace Grant, etc.?

The big man today has become a running game type player, and there's really only one true running team in the league, the Suns, and at least to me, they've solidified the fact that a running game won't win you a championship, half court basketball does.

I think Scouts, GM's, analysts, fans, have put a lot more stock into have a more "skilled" and "athletic" big man, and in the process, they've lost the phyisical big man of the 90's.

I have a theory that the declining number of great big men coincides with the popularity of the league slipping.

All of these factors point to more popularity in the old physical NBA of the 90's.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #37
Moose

What about Marvin Williams? he should be good in 4 yrs. Or Frye.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #38
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

el_locoteee has decent reputationel_locoteee has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
What about Marvin Williams? he should be good in 4 yrs. Or Frye.

Could be.

And I forgot Cris Bosh in that list

Yes the past was dominated by Centers, this era will be dominated by PF and Wingmans.

The NBA has change now a guy who can only play the post is obsolete, Less fisical play is allow, Double team a player without a ball is allow, no more than 6 seg of backing up (The Barkley Rule), Zone Defense is permited. Now a Big guy has to be able of shooting jumpers, put the ball in the floor and run the floor. Thas why you will see more of PF that can play center, so team can go small. many of the great center of the past would have a hard time imposing their style of baskeball wih this new rules.
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: