Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: ESPN Rick Reiley: LeBron being LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowXX
    Isn't the metaphorical baby in this case the championship? Shouldn't it be more like Lebron went up to the tenth floor and saved the hat instead of the baby?
    This. The title is the most important thing.

I definitely see where the guy is coming from, though, and he makes some good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    You missed the point. One of the big 3 is injured and missed nearly 2 series' now. You can't have the same expectations for them when one of them isn't even healthy or playing.
    That's not how it works. They don't get to have it both ways. This is *still* a title contender without Bosh, as Heatstans were very quick to point to everybody in shouting range when they were manhandling the Pacers in three straight games with Lebron and Wade scoring 65-70 a night. Those same people were saying Bosh was actually a friggin' trade piece this offseason. Those same people are singing a completely different tune now, screaming up and down about how essential Bosh is to this franchise. Its ludicrous. These guys are pros and the expectation is to go out there and win.

Local High School Star

So to summarise the story, Lebron James is a perfect human being except he's just crap at basketball.

I'd rather take a jerk who will just win.

So Bosh, who has been constantly been mocked for being part of the Big 2.5 or Two And A Half Men show, is now suddenly holding the fate of the Heat in his hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    That's not how it works. They don't get to have it both ways. This is *still* a title contender without Bosh, as Heatstans were very quick to point to everybody in shouting range when they were manhandling the Pacers in three straight games with Lebron and Wade scoring 65-70 a night. Those same people were saying Bosh was actually a friggin' trade piece this offseason. Those same people are singing a completely different tune now, screaming up and down about how essential Bosh is to this franchise. Its ludicrous. These guys are pros and the expectation is to go out there and win.
    They are a title contender without Bosh, but aren't the favorites; nor is it championship or bust. You can't take away the third best player, who happens to be their only competent big-man, and still maintain the same expectations. Basketball doesn't work like that.

Who cares what people were saying? People were saying Bron was a side-kick to Wade and that Wade was the best SG in the league. Doesn't make it true.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Jack
    You missed the point. One of the big 3 is injured and missed nearly 2 series' now. You can't have the same expectations for them when one of them isn't even healthy or playing.
    Of course you can when the big 3 without Bosh is still the favoured team in the series. No one is going to feel sorry for the Heat when they still have a more than capable team.

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0WvEM9Cz8

Does Reilly defend Lebron for doing song and dance numbers a month after being swept, and then joking about it in the lyrics while saying he doesn't mind that much because he has so many endorsements and is spreading his brand?

Is it admirable for Lebron to spend his time learning song and dance routines instead of working on improving his game?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0WvEM9Cz8

Does Reilly defend Lebron for doing song and dance numbers a month after being swept, and then joking about it in the lyrics while saying he doesn't mind that much because he has so many endorsements and is spreading his brand?

Is it admirable for Lebron to spend his time learning song and dance routines instead of working on improving his game?
    And you know what he was doing the day after being humiliated by the Mavericks? Partying in the Bahamas like he had just won the title... but 6 months later here's what he said on ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWqMQduM0#t=00m50s Such a phony guy!

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowXX
    Isn't the metaphorical baby in this case the championship? Shouldn't it be more like Lebron went up to the tenth floor and saved the hat instead of the baby?
    I kinda see like the man proclaims to everyone that he will surely save the baby, tries cant break through, so he gets an extinguisher and an axe. Gets 4 feet near the baby then saves the dog, the cat, and the woman's jewelry box.
    Last edited by MontaEllis24; 06-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phong
    And you know what he was doing the day after being humiliated by the Mavericks? Partying in the Bahamas like he had just won the title... but 6 months later here's what he said on ESPN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIxWqMQduM0#t=00m50s Such a phony guy!
    what a scumbag-blatantly lying on national TV with a smile on his face

Still his bozo fans will defend that

The point that the anti-Lebron faction seems to avoid is this:

Yes, you can throw out what he does off the court and only focus on what he does on it, and treat him as such.....but what worries me about some of you is that you view him in a way that should in fact only be reserved for those who rape, murder, cheat, etc. off the court. That is the ultimate point that I would provide.

I think at times sports fans allow themselves to enter this alternate reality where they feel it's normal to view someone like a criminal for playing a GAME a certain way. Sports fans can lose their grounding very easily when they get emotional.

So ya, if you're saying "We aren't even worrying about what he does off the court, he promised this and that, and isn't delivering on the court" why are you treating him with the same vilification that you direct at people such as Jerry Sandusky?

As a human being it worries me...but I wonder if political advisors look at a phenomena such as this to study how easy it is to warp the reality of someone. Would be an interesting case study.

And to those who come here and bitch about him constantly and then say "I don't actually get that upset. I know it's just a game." Ya, when Lebron fails and you feel like you just blew a load inside a supermodel and run to your computer so you can talk to other kids about it on ISH.........again....alternate universe. lol

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

Yes, you can throw out what he does off the court and only focus on what he does on it, and treat him as such.....but what worries me about some of you is that you view him in a way that should in fact only be reserved for those who rape, murder, cheat, etc. off the court. That is the ultimate point that I would provide.

I think at times sports fans allow themselves to enter this alternate reality where they feel it's normal to view someone like a criminal for playing a GAME a certain way. Sports fans can lose their grounding very easily when they get emotional.

So ya, if you're saying "We aren't even worrying about what he does off the court, he promised this and that, and isn't delivering on the court" why are you treating him with the same vilification that you direct at people such as Jerry Sandusky?

As a human being it worries me...but I wonder if political advisors look at a phenomena such as this to study how easy it is to warp the reality of someone. Would be an interesting case study.

And to those who come here and bitch about him constantly and then say "I don't actually get that upset. I know it's just a game." Ya, when Lebron fails and you feel like you just blew a load inside a supermodel and run to your computer so you can talk to other kids about it on ISH.........again....alternate universe. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

I think you're drastically overexaggerating both sides of the equation with this.

Lebron gets exactly what he deserves...no more, no less. He has plenty of people who support him and defend him to the end and plenty more who like nothing more than seeing him fall flat when his mouth writes checks his ass can't cash. And then there's that group of irrational internet loons on both sides that comes with any two-sided issue that has ever been had between human beings. Most of us know to just tune those folks out completely.

And shame on you for bringing Jerry Sandusky into this. Lebron doesn't experience that level of derision on the worst of his days around these parts, and Lebron certainly wouldn't deserve it if he did. No one's saying Lebron should be thrown in a hole and forgotten about for not coming through in the fourth quarter repeatedly. What a shameful analogy to try and make.

Local High School Star gilalizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8...n-being-lebron

Pretty decent article. Does Lebron catch too much flak for being what he isn't?
    So being one of the most, if not THE most, gifted player ever in the game, and...

settling for multiple regular season MVPs and no championships (while on one of the most stacked teams in history, relative to era)...

is something to admire...

Got it.