Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default if kawhi could hand check

Pip was on the jump the other day talking About how much easier it was to defend when hand checking was legal. They were showing highlights of him defending magic and he was hand checking and hip bumping him the entire length of the floor. I would love to see a guy like kawhi being able to defend that way now against LeBron, kd,harden or even steph. He'd be terrifying on the defensive end if he could defend that way. Those are all great players so they'd still do there thing but he would certainly make life hell for whoever he was defending and I don't anyone would able to beat the clippers with kawhi, Bev and pg being able to hand check.

NBA should bring hand checking back. It be entertaining as hell.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Default Re: if kawhi could hand check

I don't want to go back to that boring 90s basketball where games finished 68-70

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98
    I don't want to go back to that boring 90s basketball where games finished 68-70
    Because it's a lot more entertaining when every single game is ending 140-139 with minimal offensive skill required to score compared to past eras with this non-existent defense.

Great casual take there Fanny

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Because it's a lot more entertaining when every single game is ending 140-139 with minimal offensive skill required to score compared to past eras with this non-existent defense.

Defense today takes 50x more skill than it did back then

Hand checking made playing defense easy af

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98
    Defense today takes 50x more skill than it did back then

Hand checking made playing defense easy af
    Even for you, this may be a new low in posting drivel.

Compared to past eras? Are you actually comparing data or are you imagining in your head that back in the day, teams scored less? Let's take a look, please click on the following link:

https://www.basketball-reference.com..._per_game.html

I don't know if you realize, but from 1957-1993, the scoring average per team was consistently above 105ppg. There are only 3 or 4 seasons where it wasn't like this. In 2019, the average was 111ppg, which is very similar to the 80's showtime era that made the NBA popular.

From 1995-2015, there were only 4 seasons where the league average was 100ppg or more (not going over 101ppg). Most of those seasons the average was in the mid to high 90ppg.

So if ANYTHING, those years are outliers and the way bball is being played today is the way it was being played classically from 1957-1993. Specifically speaking about high scoring games, not the actual way they play ie shooting three after three.

Quote Originally Posted by Elosha
    Even for you, this may be a new low in posting drivel.

I of course wouldn't say it is 50x harder, but he DOES have a point. It is more difficult to effectively defend today than it was in the mid 90s-mid 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    Compared to past eras? Are you actually comparing data or are you imagining in your head that back in the day, teams scored less? Let's take a look, please click on the following link:

I don't know if you realize, but from 1957-1993, the scoring average per team was consistently above 105ppg. There are only 3 or 4 seasons where it wasn't like this. In 2019, the average was 111ppg, which is very similar to the 80's showtime era that made the NBA popular.

From 1995-2015, there were only 4 seasons where the league average was 100ppg or more (not going over 101ppg). Most of those seasons the average was in the mid to high 90ppg.

So if ANYTHING, those years are outliers and the way bball is being played today is the way it was being played classically from 1957-1993. Specifically speaking about high scoring games, not the actual way they play ie shooting three after three.
    From your same link the Pace last season was the highest it has ever been since the 80s

Kawhi still very much handchecks in todays game

players do it all the time and it never gets called

From your same link the Pace last season was the highest it has ever been since the 80s

Correct...and considering the 80s was when the NBA gained popularity, I'd argue that is a good thing. I'd rather watch a faster pace than slower. Most would agree.

There is a reason why it was called showtime basketball back then, it was entertaining and fast paced.

If you look at MJ's 1st 3 peat, the pace in the league was very similar to todays.

1970's --- 105 average

1980's --- 100 to 102

1991 --- 97.8
    1992 --- 96.6
    1993 --- 96.8

1999 --- 88.9

2019 --- 100.00

This is pace, not ppg (ik you know..but for others reading). ppg during MJ's 1st 3 peat was 105.56, compared to todays 111ppg. Not a huge difference in terms of points scored.

Superduperdumb destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    Pip was on the jump the other day talking About how much easier it was to defend when hand checking was legal. They were showing highlights of him defending magic and he was hand checking and hip bumping him the entire length of the floor. I would love to see a guy like kawhi being able to defend that way now against LeBron, kd,harden or even steph. He'd be terrifying on the defensive end if he could defend that way. Those are all great players so they'd still do there thing but he would certainly make life hell for whoever he was defending and I don't anyone would able to beat the clippers with kawhi, Bev and pg being able to hand check.

NBA should bring hand checking back. It be entertaining as hell.
    He did that to Magic for the majority of the 91 Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Superduperdumb destroyed.
    You would know about getting destroyed

Correct...and considering the 80s was when the NBA gained popularity, I'd argue that is a good thing. I'd rather watch a faster pace than slower. Most would agree.

There is a reason why it was called showtime basketball back then, it was entertaining and fast paced with very little defense being played.
    added facts to your sentence.