Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bird will always have more respect from tru hoopheads than MJ/Bran, no statpadding

For his PURE skill, dedication, focus, intelligence, ruthlessness. The REAL hoop heads, not the casuals that watch for drama/celebrity shit and bandwagon athletic guys.

"During breaks in games, Jordan has been wandering over to the scorer`s table to get updates on how many rebounds, assists and points he needs to fill his three double-figure quotas.

"The guys at the scorer`s desk let me know what I need," he said. "They tell me, `You need three assists; you need two rebounds."

Jordan also has been double-checking the figures with Chicago assistants.

"They keep me in tune," he said. "They keep reminding me when I come back to the huddle, how much I need."

Last Sunday, at home against New Jersey, the 10th assist was Jordan`s final goal.

"I knew I had nine assists," he said, "and I looked at (forward) Brad (Sellers), and said, `Brad, can I count on you for my 10th?` And he said, `yeah` and hit a jumper from the baseline."
    Bird had 30/12/10/9 in 33 minutes against the Jazz on February 18, 1985.

Bird sat out the entire fourth quarter. After playing the third quarter, head coach K. C. Jones informed Bird that he was one steal away from a quadruple-double and asked if he wanted to stay in the game. Bird declined, saying that he "already did enough damage."

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Bird will always have more respect from tru hoopheads than MJ/Bran, no statpadding

"I think it's just God disguised as Michael Jordan." - Larry Bird

Default Re: Bird will always have more respect from tru hoopheads than MJ/Bran, no statpadding

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    For his PURE skill, dedication, focus, intelligence, ruthlessness. The REAL hoop heads, not the casuals that watch for drama/celebrity shit and bandwagon athletic guys.

Bird sat out the entire fourth quarter. After playing the third quarter, head coach K. C. Jones informed Bird that he was one steal away from a quadruple-double and asked if he wanted to stay in the game. Bird declined, saying that he "already did enough damage."

You done lost half your mind.

[COLOR="White"]You still my nigguh doe[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    You done lost half your mind.

[COLOR="White"]You still my nigguh doe[/COLOR]
    MJs 2nd GOAT (KAJ is GOAT) but he was a statpadder breh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

solid.. you get an A

it would suck to see Bird or MJ in today's game though - they'd just be running boring drive-and-kicks and simply wouldn't need the nuanced skill required to navigate no-spacing environments and defenders that are all bunched together.

then again, they would dominate more WITH today's spacing, than the no-spacing they played in, so they'd be MORE exciting today actually.
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-25-2015 at 10:31 AM.

OP knows himself them badass white ballers Bird & Dirk

But we can't see eye to eye on this Kobe/Bron thing

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Kg and Cp3 stat pads more than any of these guys

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    OP knows himself them badass white ballers Bird & Dirk

But we can't see eye to eye on this Kobe/Bron thing
    Bird or Lebron ? For all time ?

Everybody known that. Lebron,Kobe,Jordan are advertising kids and Bird is an old school country guy.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

True. But I remember a finals game where MJ scored 35 points in the first half and somehow only scored 4 points the rest of the game. Must've been that defense.

College star

Yea but he's got less respect from racists who don't understand basketball.
    So it's a wash.

Good High School Starter

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Playoff PER[/COLOR] (10 year Prime)

Jordan : 28.7
    Shaq : 28.7
    Lebron : 27.4
    Bird : 21.8

Wilt's career playoff PER (22.7) is higher than Bird's 10 year prime, and yet Bird is considered clutch, and Wilt a choker.

Wilt's playoff prime is around 28 (6 years) btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Wilt's career playoff PER (22.7) is higher than Bird's 10 year prime, and yet Bird is considered clutch, and Wilt a choker.

Wilt's playoff prime is around 28 (6 years) btw.
    Wow, its a great thing PER is the final measure for greatness.

I've always respected Bird for not going for the Quad double in a blowout.

Another thing he did, that most players would not is he ended his career a few days before he was guaranteed a major bonus from the Celtics. In fact, the Celtics GM knew about this upcoming date and told Larry to go home and think about a few days. Bird said I know what you're trying to do. If I'm not going to play, I'm not going to take the money.

Looking for a link to that story, I can across this great profile of Bird before he joined Indiana State. Lots of detail I never heard before. I knew Bird went to Indiana to play for Bob Knight and left after a month, but he also briefly went to another school and left. Larry Bird was not Mr. Basketball in Indiana his senior year....I think Jerry Sichting! was
    as a senior, soared to 6-7, his body and skill level finally in harmony. In his last season, Bird scored 55 in one game and grabbed 38 rebounds in another. On the year, he averaged 30.6 points per game and 20 rebounds per contest, leading Springs Valley to a 21-4 record.

But Bird, whom fans from outside the Valley labeled a kid from nowhere playing nobodies, failed to capture the state’s imagination. He wasn’t even considered one of the top players in Indiana—the 1974 Mr. Basketball title was shared by two other boys; Bird, who had signed to play with the Hoosiers over Purdue and Indiana State, was only a third-team all-state selection. That summer, stung by a lack of playing time on the Indiana Boys All-Star team in its annual series with Kentucky, Bird twice refused to enter a game at Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse to play mop-up minutes.
    Paul George on Bird the Pacers executive.
    At a team shootaround, “He picked a ball up that had rolled over,” George told SLAM magazine. “He rolled up his sleeves and made about 15 in a row, and just walked out like nothing just happened. It was the craziest thing I’ve seen. We were speechless. We didn’t know whether to keep shooting or just to end practice. It was sweet, man.”
    and check this out from before Bird played a game of college basketball.
    The coaches weren’t about to let Bird go anywhere. Earlier that season, Mel Daniels, the Indiana Pacers and ABA great, had visited Terre Haute at the request of King, who had coached Daniels at the University of New Mexico. Daniels brought along Pacers teammate and future Naismith Hall of Famer Roger Brown for an afternoon of pick-up ball with some of the Sycamores, including Bird. After the game, Daniels, himself a future Hall of Famer, offered King and Hodges a scouting report on Bird.

“Let me tell you something, Coach,” said Daniels. “That’s the best damn player I’ve ever played against.”

Brown, who rarely, if ever, gave compliments or praise, agreed.

“Ah, come on, Mel,” said Hodges. He laughed, noting that Daniels had played among the likes of Connie Hawkins, Julius Erving, and George McGinnis.

“I’m telling you,” said Daniels, “the best damn player I’ve ever played against.”