Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who did this?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Who did this?

When you say....only player in history...when guys were scoring more and not doing it...how is it not downplaying the past?

A guy could have scored 72 points a game....led his team to the title...and not scored 600 total points in 1964.

How would we then exclude such a guy...when it was virtually impossible to have performed better?

As I said...its a stat that includes the word "History" while the nature of it makes most of history ineligible.

Its just misleading...unless...like me...you know off the top that it couldnt be done for much of the history in question.

Please love my Kobe.

[COLOR="white"]chazzy gave me this idea[/COLOR]

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    When you say....only player in history...when guys were scoring more and not doing it...how is it not downplaying the past?

A guy could have scored 72 points a game....led his team to the title...and not scored 600 total points in 1964.

How would we then exclude such a guy...when it was virtually impossible to have performed better?

As I said...its a stat that includes the word "History" while the nature of it makes most of history ineligible.

Its just misleading...unless...like me...you know off the top that it couldnt be done for much of the history in question.

Dude ... it's not even my choice in wording, it's a stat I saw and CnP'd to generate discussion.

The salt is real right now.

I see that Lebron had 697 in 2013. Far as I can tell....the third most playoff points ever scored. Jordans 759...AI 723.. I think Kobes 695 is next. But Rick Barry puts up 35 a game...and only scores 554. Less than all of them....on a higher ppg.

You just know that eventually this BS stat is gonna get to an ESPN playoff post game and Elgin Baylor is gonna call into mike and mike and humble rant about it.

Dude ... it's not even my choice in wording, it's a stat I saw and CnP'd to generate discussion.

The salt is real right now.
    I believe you. As I said ive seen it before with playoff assists.

Networks do it and flat out miseducate the public who arent gonna look into it.

Its like...why mention "Of all time" or "IN history" when you know all those guys didnt have a fair shake?

Its disrespectful and it bothers me every time I see it.

Its even worse than the manufactured "records" which begin in 1983 to prop up Durant because George Gervin and Elvin Hayes would have them otherwise.....other than of course Wilt...who has them all.

Just feels to me like...when people say history...or record...it should be true. It should be fair.

If you have to screw someone over or pretend they dont exist....maybe just do without that stat for a segment?

That whole Durant "record" was just embarrassing to the history fan in me.

I think Spencer Haywood, Gervin, Hayes, and Wilt all topped versions of it(they altered the standard as they went)...but they cut it off at some random year in the 80s after Gervin did it....to make it look like a record to people who now....wont even know those dudes existed and give them their due respect?

Cant stand that shit.

*edit

I may be thinking of a 30 point game streak they mentioned on Durant. I'll have to find an old topic to see. Someone had a list espn was disregarding.

Alright, cool.

I see it was Moses I was remembering. 13 straight games over 30 points....but ESPN cut it off at 1982 so they didnt have to count him. Imagine that....you know you have at least the post merger record(A halfway reasonable point to cut it off if you must). But ESPN just decides to only count...after you did it. So they dont even need to put you in the graphic....

Id be somewhat pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I see it was Moses I was remembering. 13 straight games over 30 points....but ESPN cut it off at 1982 so they didnt have to count him. Imagine that....you know you have at least the post merger record(A halfway reasonable point to cut it off if you must). But ESPN just decides to only count...after you did it. So they dont even need to put you in the graphic....

Id be somewhat pissed.
    Now that you mention it, they do this type of shit alot.