Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is Houston going 4-0 against San Antonio this season..

Either way, it's still kinda of weird that a team that's going to finish with the best record in the NBA had two teams they went a combined 0-8 against. Wonder if that's ever happened?
    Last edited by KG215; 04-15-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Either way, it's still kinda of weird that a team that's going to finish with the best record in the NBA had two teams they went a combined 0-8 against. Wonder if that's ever happened?
    Probably as weird as a 62 win team having no player average more than 16.7 ppg or 29.6 mpg.... Doubt that has ever happened.... Could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Duncan really didn't outplay Howard.

Duncan's team was way better is all, and they won. Howard was probably the best player on the court last season in their series.
    DH 17 pts 11 rebs
    TD 18 pts 8 rebs
    TP 22 pts 7 assts

Howard was not the best player on the court last season in their series. Once Duncan and Splitter neutralized Howard and Gasol, the backcourt was no contest. A superstar in his prime playing a 37 year old to a draw, and you think he was the best player on the court

Spurs don't have problems with big men (see Howard/Gasol and Gasol/Randolph swept last year). It's the teams with good jump shooting (see GSW and OKC) that trouble SAS. It won't be Howard but Harden who is the Spur killer.

Usually a team's regular season record doesn't matter against another team in my opinion. Every postseason I see the same "so and so was 4-0 or 3-1 against ____" and more often than not it's completely different in the playoffs.

That said, I think the Rockets match up favorably with the Spurs. Come to think of it... they match up well with everyone. I can't really think of a team boasting mismatches against the Rockets.

THAT said, I feel like a lack of consistent offense from the low post will hurt them in the playoffs. If Harden doesn't get his freethrows, the Rockets are going to be disappointed this post season. They have an iso-heavy offense (18th in assists) and maybe most significant of all they are 7th to last in points allowed in the league. Not exactly the perfect storm to make it out of the second round. Hell, Portland has one of those offenses that could absolutely go off for a couple games as well. It should be an underrated first round matchup between these two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by VIntageNOvel
    i didnt aks you, if you cant explain it then STFU

i didnt try to troll or anything
    that was a serious "i never watch spurs-houston game" question,
    so are you saying houston is a bad match up for spurs because healthy howard has been outplaying old man duncan this year? i thought duncan still put up a great number
    My mistake, yeah we've created problems for them down low all season. Harden also seems to play his best games against the Spurs as we'll.. As I mentioned Duncan has been great especially for his age but we have two elite defenders at the center position, when Howard checks out, Asik checks in. It'll tire him out .

Quote Originally Posted by toxicxr6
    I think rocket fans are getting ahead of themselves here.. They have a very real challenge in portland in the first round.. And if the rockets team are looking at the second round like some of there fans are... Both the fans and the rockets players will be watching the second round from their sofa
    I don't think we're getting ahead of ourselves, were simply replying to the topic which was about the Spurs and Rockets ...if they meet . Nobody saying were a guarantee win.. at your logic

I rule the local playground

I think the Rockets can very possibly take down the Spurs. They're just a bad matchup for the Spurs, and like him or not Harden's pretty much always been kryptonite for the Spurs; he was one of the biggest reasons OKC took down SAS in the 2012 playoffs I'd say.

Anyone remember when Lakers met Orlando in the finals years ago?

Orlando owned them in the regular season. Didn't work out for them.

All I'm saying is, playoff ball is different. I'd expect SA to advance. But Houston will give them problems.

West playoffs are no joke.

You`ll want to double Howard since he`s a horrible passer and he can`t deal with double teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    As a Spurs fan, not too worried about it...

SA was keeping up with HOU yesterday with half their lineup missing (Spurs were up in the 4th quarter 87-85 with about 5 minutes left).

3 of the Rockets wins came in November-January and I think the Spurs have gotten better since then, particularly Patty, Beli, and Kawhi. But the whole team is more gelled (naturally).

Reminds me of PHX suns winning the season matchup against SA in 05, or more recently in last season, losing both RS games to the Heat. ie. it's not always a clear indication of playoff ball.

- Kawhi missed 2 of the games against HOU, and if I'm not mistaken they fell to 8-8 without him on the season (62-19 team record).

- Tiago Splitter also missed 2 games against them.

- Danny Green also missed 2 games against them.

Either way...

Keys to beating HOU: Keeping Harden, Parsons, and Beverly out of the paint when they try to score for themselves or kick out to shooters. Cut down on second chance points. Make Dwight score one on one as much as possible without doubling him, make him catch it as far out of the post as possible. Get back in transition... On offense, attack as much as possible and don't settle for jumpers, HOU's rotations are weak and can get the best shot if they move the ball around. Parker must show up.

If Spurs can't do any of those things consistently, could see them having serious problems.

Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Kawhi's minutes will probably all increase. Spurs just tend to step up in the playoffs.

Two great teams, hopefully we get to see them matchup in the playoffs. Let the better team win

Pop went 0-2 vs. the Heat just last year and rested starters in that 2nd game.......

I'd rather face Westchuck and the Brooks' Thunder tbh. The Spurs are a great playoff team...

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Anyone remember when Lakers met Orlando in the finals years ago?

Orlando owned them in the regular season. Didn't work out for them.

All I'm saying is, playoff ball is different. I'd expect SA to advance. But Houston will give them problems.

West playoffs are no joke.
    Also remember when BDiddy Warriors owned Mavs in the regular season? They owned them in the first round of the playoffs too.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    DH 17 pts 11 rebs
    TD 18 pts 8 rebs
    TP 22 pts 7 assts

Howard was not the best player on the court last season in their series. Once Duncan and Splitter neutralized Howard and Gasol, the backcourt was no contest. A superstar in his prime playing a 37 year old to a draw, and you think he was the best player on the court

Spurs don't have problems with big men (see Howard/Gasol and Gasol/Randolph swept last year). It's the teams with good jump shooting (see GSW and OKC) that trouble SAS. It won't be Howard but Harden who is the Spur killer.
    You really think Howard was in his prime? I mean he's better this year than he was last year and he's still not what he used to be pre-injury. Last season was the worst version of Dwight Howard post-2008.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker
    You`ll want to double Howard since he`s a horrible passer and he can`t deal with double teams.
    Word... Disagree kinda. I say stay home on the shooters, rather than committing a double on Howard and leaving Houston's good shooters open. It's the way playoff teams (ATL comes to mind) have guarded Howard's teams the last 4-5 years and it's worked because it's often the shooters that kill teams.. not necessarily his post presence or relatively low FGA (he only takes 2-3 shots a quarter on average).

Play the Rockets the way we played the mid-2000's Suns. Cut off the head of the snake. Only instead of Nash (who's also a brilliant play maker) it's Harden. Make Howard beat us like the way we made Stoudemire try and beat us singlehandedly.

SA should be more focused on Harden and Parsons than the offense of Howard. It's when those guys start penetrating, Howard gets a putback, an alleyoop, a better one-on-one shot after Houston has gotten an offensive board, etc. Howard feeds off them, naturally.

Having said that, sometimes it's appropriate to crowd and double Howard. But shouldn't be every time. If he can hit a contested shot over Duncan, Tiago, or Banes, more power to him. But it's one less shot for Harden, who's a foul-drawing machine and great passer.

McHale is one of the worst coaches, so there's no possibility they're going to WCF with him. All league is completely safe from the rockets as long as they have a flopping leader, another crying leader and a terrible coach.