Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What rule changes could bring back bigs?

Some of us believe that the contemporary NBA does itself a disservice by enforcing rules which favor perimeter play. Eventually balance ought to be restored, and there ought to be measures taken to encourage more low post play.

The question is: should certain rule changes simply, at some point, be reversed? Or should the rules change to restore balance toward post play in another way entirely?

For example, we all know that the defensive three seconds rule has made it easier for smaller guards to attack the basket and make plays. This has helped generate a league and a game in which perimeter players dominate their offenses. If the NBA wanted to encourage low post play, would you like to see the defensive three seconds rule eliminated? Or do you have any other ideas that would accomplish the same goal?

Default Re: What rule changes could bring back bigs?

Talent

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Talent
    thread

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

My dad and I were just talking about this today. No hand check and defense zone rules have made this a PG dominant league. 15 PGs have a case for being an all-star.

You would find it a stretch to have 10 legit all star big men that truly are stars.
    I think big men suffer the most from the 1 and done college trend. Most of them do not finish growing until their junior or senior high school seasons. Sometimes they even grow during college. Because of this they are awkward and do not possess the skillful post moves and techniques needed to be dominant. Hakeem helps some of them out, but 3-4 years of skill training is essential. That is why you see break out years for bigs in their 3rd to 4th season. It is a shame.

Growing up watching so many legit bigs in the late 80s into early 90s makes me want more of that. So I am not sure if rule changes are needed, just at least 2 years of college.

Banned

I actually think that right now is the best talent of Centers in a very long time.

Rules have nothing to do with it. It's just all the centers/power forward these days don't want to practice posting up. They all wanna play like Kobe Bryant, shooting turn around fadeaway 3's even thought they're ****ing 6'11'' or 7'0''

Probably the hand-checking rule which has made point guard such a deep position (though not so much in the playoffs when more contact is allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    I think big men suffer the most from the 1 and done college trend. Most of them do not finish growing until their junior or senior high school seasons. Sometimes they even grow during college. Because of this they are awkward and do not possess the skillful post moves and techniques needed to be dominant. Hakeem helps some of them out, but 3-4 years of skill training is essential. That is why you see break out years for bigs in their 3rd to 4th season. It is a shame.

Growing up watching so many legit bigs in the late 80s into early 90s makes me want more of that. So I am not sure if rule changes are needed, just at least 2 years of college.
    Terrific post, agree a good deal. Particularly with the bolded.

So many kids now see seven footers excelling on the perimeter, thanks to watching guys like Dirk and KG making that play-style popular for bigs. Additionally, everybody still wants to be like Mike, Kobe, etc., and hit that game-winning 20-foot fadeaway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Probably the hand-checking rule which has made point guard such a deep position (though not so much in the playoffs when more contact is allowed).

So many kids now see seven footers excelling on the perimeter, thanks to watching guys like Dirk and KG making that play-style popular for bigs. Additionally, everybody still wants to be like Mike, Kobe, etc., and hit that game-winning 20-foot fadeaway.
    There's very solid young big men like Gasol, Cousins, Valuncinas and even Howard who play a traditional back to basket and around the rim style.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii

Thanks!

That fadeaway is pretty sweet though...

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    There's very solid young big men like Gasol, Cousins, Valuncinas and even Howard who play a traditional back to basket and around the rim style.
    Agreed. But like I posted earlier, it still takes them several years. Gasol and Valunc had the benefit of europe to help them to a degree. Boogie is finally hitting his stride after 4 frustrating seasons.

Banned

Agreed. But like I posted earlier, it still takes them several years. Gasol and Valunc had the benefit of europe to help them to a degree. Boogie is finally hitting his stride after 4 frustrating seasons.
    Yeah. I guess I am talking more generally about the Center position; I think we are in a Renaissance of sorts at the position, as at least half of the teams in the league now have a quality big man.

The only rule change that could bring back bigs is time traveling. Right now, time travel is impossible. But, if the laws of physics and quantum mechanics ever change, we could possibly bring back bigs.
    Last edited by sportjames23; 12-28-2014 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    Yeah. I guess I am talking more generally about the Center position; I think we are in a Renaissance of sorts at the position, as at least half of the teams in the league now have a quality big man.
    True. Us oldheads though want 7 foot mother****ers tearing it up though. Give me some Hakeem, Shaq and D Robinson up in this league!

Banned

True. Us oldheads though want 7 foot mother****ers tearing it up though. Give me some Hakeem, Shaq and D Robinson up in this league!
    :)

How about Griffin, Aldridge, Anthony Davis, Boogie Cuz, and Big Jonas???

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    The only rule change that could bring back bigs is time traveling. Right now, time travel is impossible. But, if the laws of physics and quantum mechanics ever change, we could possibly bring back bigs.