Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Spurs new players and team

LaMarcus is going to stretch the floor for Leonard's drives and give room for Duncan to operate in the low post. The fit is a good but they are going to need a little time to build chemistry with the new team.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bukowski81
    Boris is definetely not better than Aldridge.

Aldridge can be very usefull and can give different options to the Spurs. For once he is an elite big man that can counter small ball on offense and defense. He is replacing freaking Thiaggo Splitter on the starting 5, how can the Spurs not be better with him??

It has just been one game, typically players need time to adapt to the Spurs. I guess we will have to wait to see how well he will fit.
    What's with the "freaking" part? Splitter is a REALLY good NBA player who does everything most players don't want to do, and he does it really well. I honestly from a spurs fit stand point am not SOLD Aldridge is better. Now, I honestly think he is due to having the ability to create shots and I think he can be a solid defensive player. Still, I'm not sold it's a fact.

If I'm being honest, I think the Spurs would have been better off this year if they brought back the same team as last year - but the Spurs need to plan for when Duncan's gone, and obviously you don't say no to a marque player like Aldridge who can be the face of the franchise with Leonard when Timmy's done.

It'll take time to work this out. Aldridge has never been an efficient scorer and I don't expect that to change here. What I'm hoping for is sustained defensive effort from him, which he seemed to have last night against OKC.

Of course, the biggest question is Parker. I agree with others that we need him to play well to win because he holds the ball in his hands so much and Pop has shown he won't bench him. He looked solid last night but his defensive was atrocious (Thunder went to Dion in the clutch over two of the ten best players in the world because Tony was guarding him), which is why Aldridge's defense will be huge - we can't be playing 3 on 5.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    yeah give it some time. spurs have a complicated offense.

there are five guys on the front line worthy of pt...

west
    duncan
    aldridge
    diaw
    bonner

we know duncan works well with either west or bonner... but he is getting old. he is especially less effective on the offensive end against bigger players.

honestly i like diaw/aldridge in the starting lineup

diaw and duncan tend to bog down team spacing. not horribly but its noticeable. all three of the other bigs listed above are more consistent and versatile shooters. playing these two together will work amazing most of the time just on the individual brilliance of either dude. but against certain opponents it can lead to stagnant offense.

maybe its heresy but moving duncan to the bench and bringing him in halfway through the 1st, then halfway through the 2nd... he'd be so much more effective against second units.

whatever the case, duncan will still close games cuz he flat out does not fck up. and pop will go with what works for the situation, between diaw and aldridge. neither of those guys are the types to complain or pout. not that the spurs lineup would remotely allow it
    Duncan's skill is defense and rim protection. that skill is needed against the other team's first unit. His offense being slightly better against a second unit doesn't offset the defensive value add. If we're just talking offense I'd agree.

NBA lottery pick

I'm with others that the biggest issue for the spurs are their guards. Green is sold. After him they're counting on Manu to play well and praying Parker can be better than patty mills. It's an issue and I'm not sure what they can do without making a trade (but trade what?)

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Splitter and Diaw arent guys that expect an offense to go thru them.

The whole reason Aldridge left Portland was because he felt they didnt appreciate him and they wanted to make Lillard their face instead of him. And even aside from that, hes a guy that wants to shoot jumpers from the block. Other than Timmy's patented banker, that's not really what the Spurs do.

I'm not saying it wont work. Just saying I'm not yet convinced. I personally like the way Diaw complements the starting lineup more than Aldridge, but I'm sure Aldridge is expecting to be a starter, play big minutes, get plenty of touches, and finish games. Im not sure that's what's best for this team, this year, but we will see.
    You're not convinced after 1 game? lol...

Well lets see how game 2 goes, then game 3, game 4, game 5, etc.

The season is a marathon. By the playoffs, nobody will even care about the first week of basketball.

There will be games where Aldridge shines more than others, then a game where Parker shines more than others and "takes over", then Kawhi, and so on and so on. The Spurs play much different than the Blazers and I'm sure Aldridge is fully aware.

As for midrange jumpers, it wasn't Tiago's forte (he's not a good shooter in general), but Spurs have had plenty of shooting from the mid range over the years. Even Rasho and Nazr of 10 years ago put up jumpers periodically, and they were centers. Antonio McDyess more recently shot alot of jumpers and Duncan shoots a fair amount throughout his career (not all bank shots either). Adding LMA is a solid move for the team in that respect.

Personally, I love that at any point the Spurs can post up Kawhi, Aldridge, or Duncan in the mid-high post. It will take some time to mesh but it's great to have that.

Think the Spurs will miss Belinelli's shooting though. He stretched the floor nicely when neither Patty, Green, or Manu were in the game

Game needed Boban tbh
    Even just for 5 mins to slap Kancer and Adams around

Local High School Star

Never considered alridge a winner. Anway I hope he blends well, he's overrated to me.

Honestly, when I was watching the game last night, I felt like the Spurs are going to have a dilemma this year - namely that Diaw is simply a better fit for them than Aldridge. Diaw should be getting more of the minutes and be playing in crunch time... But the sensitive Aldridge would probably not be happy about that.

West is a nice bench addition and I think he is willing to just contribute what he can when he can, and it looks like he def still has value as a rotation guy.

But I think Aldridge probably thinks hes better than he is and is going to be expecting to get "first option treatment." Which he prob will get more of once Duncan retires, but THIS year, Duncan-Diaw is their best froncourt tandem. Will be interesting.
    Aldridge is the best player on the Spurs.

You don't bench your best player for Boris Diaw, ever.

Why would you sign LMA to bench him for Boris Diaw? -You wouldnt, ever.

Splitter and Diaw arent guys that expect an offense to go thru them.

The whole reason Aldridge left Portland was because he felt they didnt appreciate him and they wanted to make Lillard their face instead of him. And even aside from that, hes a guy that wants to shoot jumpers from the block. Other than Timmy's patented banker, that's not really what the Spurs do.

I'm not saying it wont work. Just saying I'm not yet convinced. I personally like the way Diaw complements the starting lineup more than Aldridge, but I'm sure Aldridge is expecting to be a starter, play big minutes, get plenty of touches, and finish games. Im not sure that's what's best for this team, this year, but we will see.
    How do you come up with this stuff?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
    Aldridge is the best player on the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

Dont worry about how players fit man. Pop is literally a genius when it comes to basketball mechanics and getting a team to gel.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    spurs need to trade aldridge for cousins asap
    Pop wouldn't stand for Cousins' immaturity.