Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question for Dexter fans

The british chick in retrospect was kinda meh tbh

1 > 4 > 2 > 3 >>> 5 > 7 > 6 > 8

The problem with the later seasons was two-fold.

1) The obvious one that you guys have been talking about. So many potentially great story arches and the writers had no clue what to do with them so they're lazily wrapped up and we all move on.

2) This is one that not many people bring up but what truly ruined the series for me, the writers didn't have a clear view of what they wanted Dexter to become. At some point he just became a normal guy who happened to kill people occasionally. He went from being a total nutjob that we loved to a guy with loads of emotions, and then supposedly back to being a nutjob in the final season. In contrast, look at how well Gilligan developed Walter White. From beginning to end, he had a clear picture (and as a result we had a clear picture) of what he was becoming.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    1 > 4 > 2 > 3 >>> 5 > 7 > 6 > 8

The problem with the later seasons was two-fold.

1) The obvious one that you guys have been talking about. So many potentially great story arches and the writers had no clue what to do with them so they're lazily wrapped up and we all move on.

2) This is one that not many people bring up but what truly ruined the series for me, the writers didn't have a clear view of what they wanted Dexter to become. At some point he just became a normal guy who happened to kill people occasionally. He went from being a total nutjob that we loved to a guy with loads of emotions, and then supposedly back to being a nutjob in the final season. In contrast, look at how well Gilligan developed Walter White. From beginning to end, he had a clear picture (and as a result we had a clear picture) of what he was becoming.
    You hit the nail on the head bro

Personally I thought that, because they had him develop as a sociable human during the first 4 seasons.... With getting married, having a kid..., and with the way season 4 ended... The downward spiral should have immediately begun from there... In a perfect world, I would have wanted him to start dropping the ball majorly in S5, setting up for an epic s6 finale where he is on the run ala last season of Breaking Bad... Instead they had made S5 as a redemption of sorts, which essentially just rebooted everything from S6 onwards....

He should have developed into more erratic and dangerous, eventually losing his moral ethics, and essentially turned into a straight out killer without purpose... Would have been the best way to finish it, he tried to be a normal human, but in the end his true being couldn't be contained, and not even the code could no longer keep him in check.... A tragic end to an ultimately sick and twisted individual that somehow had it's viewers cheering for him. That would have really sent a good message to the viewers, asimilar to Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight...

Aaah, the potential.

Banned

I can just imagine the fallout of the trinity killer and the ending of season 4 unravelling

Dexter gets to a point where to save his ass he starts bending his justifications for killing people, to where it gets to the point where he has lost total moral reasoning... Quinn follows up on the Kyle Butler identity... Miami Metro follow up on the trinity stand off with dexter footage in the homicide department... Also follow up on how he got to the Mitchells house so quick.... All these things...

So much freaking potential

All great points. Reminds me of another flaw; Quinn somehow not revisiting his suspicions of Dexter when LaGuerta pretty much announced to the entire department as she brought Dexter in that she has proof that he's the BHB. The only reaction Quinn had to that entire situation was a confused face. Then in Season 8 when Deb literally confessed to killing LaGuerta, he thinks nothing of the situation yet again. He is really the worst cop of all time.

I'll tell you one thing though. If anyone ever gets bored and decides they wanna try out serial killing, you want Miami Metro to be the ones after you.