Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Alex English: severely underrated or not that good?

Thats the question. I started watching basketball in the 90`s so I didnt watch Alex English play at all. Recently I was watching some LA Lakers 80`s games and they played against the Nuggets a couple of times, playoffs, regular season and so on.

I really got impressed by Alex English, I knew he existed and I knew he was good, but not this good, and I barely see people talking about him or his game. So I made some superficial research, looking for some stats and he was putting crazy scoring numbers on great efficiency. A SG-SF putting 28.4 ppg on more than 50 %, with 7 rebounds and 5 assists? thats crazy. They talk more about Carmelo Anthony or other guys, but I see Alex English being the better player. Severely underrated or not that good?

I have to do more research, perhaps he didnt achieve correctly with the Denver Nuggets, he didnt make the Finals one season if im not wrong, but its also true he played in the most difficult and stacked era in the history of basketball. I dont know, im probably looking for some more games and footage of him.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Alex English: severely underrated or not that good?

Just shows the lack of talent in the SG-SF position back in the 80s that a dude like English averaged stats of a Lebron James.

He's not that good.

In today's league he would be coming off the bench on more teams than he would start.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

English was pretty much the Carmelo Anthony of his era. All-Star player, amazing scorer, but never considered to be on the level Magic/Bird/MJ/Kareem/M.Malone. Just like Carmelo isn't on the level of LeBron/Kobe/Wade/Howard/Paul.

Value Ape.

He was on the wrong team. Not that good, not that popular, not on tv much ( his team). So he is just not rated at all by a lot of people. If I didn't watch/listen to the lakes back then, I probably would have never seen English at all. But every so often, lakes vs nugs, and it is like "Ohhhh yea, this guy..."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    Just shows the lack of talent in the SG-SF position back in the 80s that a dude like English averaged stats of a Lebron James.

He's not that good.

In today's league he would be coming off the bench on more teams than he would start.

Really? I mean, I respect everybody`s opinion but I think you are giving the guy absolutely no credit. I dont agree with the lack of talent argument, they were plenty of nice SG-SF`s in the 80`s, like I said, its the most stacked era in the history of basketball. You have Dr.J playing his game until the mid 80`s, the GOAT SF Larry Bird, you have a very young Charles Barkley starting as a SF with big man playing tendencies, you have a good talented offensive option in James Worthy. And im sure im missing people.

I highly doubt he would come off the bench in any of todays teams, except where Lebron plays.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

He's not that good.

Dumb post. Just look at the amazing SFs from the 80's. Bird/Dr.J/Dantley/Wilkins/English/Worthy/Aguirre/Mullin. English wouldn't start in todays NBA? GTFO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Dumb post. Just look at the amazing SFs from the 80's. Bird/Dr.J/Dantley/Wilkins/English/Worthy/Aguirre/Mullin. English wouldn't start in todays NBA? GTFO.

I knew I was forgetting somebody important, f*cking Dominique Wilkins.

He's not that good.

the guy is one of the 5 best mid range shooter of all time, if vandeweghe was not traded, they would have been in the WCF all years (then fat lever arrived). he is special cause he was at his best very late, 28-35 years old but never had the team he deserved.

the blade would be an MVP today, schooled every pseudo-star of today.

are you posting this thread cause you discovered him on basketball-reference or do you have already watched the guy?
    in all case you are stupid. he is just the best scorer of the 80's...

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    ask yourself this. Who is a better play Alex English or Lebron James?

Alex English shot 50% averaged 29 with 7 rebounds and 5 assists. That's pretty much Lebron territory. and this was common place in the 80s. Christopher mullin shot 53% for gods sake.

To me that suggest that defense and overall talent was thin in the 80s that player we can PLAINLY see to not be as good as modern day players had GOAT style stats.

oh i didn't see your dumb comment on the forwards of the 80's...they were just the best!!
    Dr J, Gervin (1st half of the decade), Bird, Dominique, Mullin, Dantley and Worthy.

can you leave please?

Banned

Dr.J, Worthy, English, Bird, Dominique, Gervin, Mullin, young Barkley.

The SF position was f*cking stacked damn, should have grown in the 80s.

National High School Star dough's Avatar

He's not that good.

Didnt you post in another thread that you missed Iverson's prime and started watching nba basketball when Iverson went to Ddenver? How are you talking about 80-'s basketball at all?

Quote Originally Posted by dough
    Didnt you post in another thread that you missed Iverson's prime and started watching nba basketball when Iverson went to Ddenver? How are you talking about 80-'s basketball at all?
    Date of Birth:
    February 10, 1990

Quote Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
    I dont really remember saying that, anyway, I stated in my first post, I didnt watch 80s basketball live and Im downloading a lot of old games to see this players, thats why I got impressed when I saw English vs the Lakers in 1985.

Anyway, nice way of missing the point of this thread and trying to fail me in front of everybody. Keep up the good work.
    He wasn't talking to you. His statement was a reply to heyhey's post.

He's not that good.

Quote Originally Posted by dough

National High School Star dough's Avatar

Failing you in front of everybody? Seems like you're doing a good job yourself.