Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default Kam Harris & Liz Warren try & outstupid each other. Fully back reparations for blacks

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/u...ce-policy.html

[QUOTE]Last week, on the popular radio show

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Kam Harris & Liz Warren try & outstupid each other. Fully back reparations for blacks

Which Black American today is impacted by slavery??

Laughable.

Default Re: Kam Harris & Liz Warren try & outstupid each other. Fully back reparations for blacks

Stupid.

This would never happen, they're saying this for votes.

this is outrageous. even any reasonable liberal would think so too.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Which Black American today is impacted by slavery??

Laughable.
    I dont think impacted is the right word. It impacts the lives of the living by handicapping the ancestors when family wealth and upbringing are often factors in how you live.

It wasnt as long ago as it feels. Its like asking how anyone alive was impacted by the civil war when there are living children of civil war vets still around....but even if there werent it clearly changed American history.

Living people knew slaves.

If you round up all the trafficked south east asian girl slaves and then release them is there any chance what they went through wouldnt impact the lives of their children? And thats in a world they could live as equals once freed. Hell they would be pampered if America knew the situation. There would be gofundmes and pledges and all kinds of help in modern America. They wouldnt be released into a world where they were still seen as subhuman for decades.

Their kids would still be impacted by them growing up as sex slaves though. How not?

Parents and grandparents play a huge role in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    This would never happen, they're saying this for votes.
    harris is for sure, but warren? i doubt it. i mean, she fights the good fight vs. the banks, but she's pretty out there.

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz
    harris is for sure, but warren? i doubt it. i mean, she fights the good fight vs. the banks, but she's pretty out there.
    You know Warren was a Republican until she got into politics. Magically, when she decided that she wanted to get involved in politics in a very blue state, she suddenly decided that she was a Democrat.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

imagine being a self-respecting white man who would vote for reparations in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    You know Warren was a Republican until she got into politics. Magically, when she decided that she wanted to get involved in politics in a very blue state, she suddenly decided that she was a Democrat.
    nope, had no idea. reading up on it meow.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix

And that she was an Indian

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    And that she was an Indian
    So is Kamala Harris

One of the less obvious goals here is to force Sanders into a choice he doesn't want to have to make: either back reparations or risk the "Bernie is terrible on race issues" crap becoming more pervasive.

I don't agree with Harris/Warren on this. It's the wrong approach. If you're going to try to right historical wrongs with money, you do it by taking real steps to make the future will be better for them (criminal justice reform, guaranteed health insurance, FULLY taxpayer-funded public colleges), not giving people another excuse to demonize minorities...

I don't have a staunch opposition to policies like affirmative action or even reparations, I just think it's hard to overlook the social drawbacks to approaching these problems in that way.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I fully support reparations for Shitting Bull Warren and her tribe.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

It doesn't make sense because 95% of white people came from lineages that didn't own slaves... If you could trace the specific families and descendants and tax them alright, but still it would ignore all the other injustices that happened to,many other groups and lead to a slippery slope of everybody getting reparations thus limiting their impact relatively. Stupid.