Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Even as a fan for well over 2 decades I still must say..I dont think the NBA owes me.

incase you didnt know, FANS pay these players salaries.

so yea, they OWE us.
    The public pays everyones salary. Doesnt mean everyone owes the public.

Players get fans money fans work at companies kept afloat by consumers many of them no doubt people they support themselves by buying the products those people depend on.

Circle of life isnt just a Lion King concept.

Its all us. Not us vs them.

And as I said....most players and owners probably spend more than average fans do on the NBA and NBA related things.

Ive not been to an NBA game this year. But Derrick Rose owes me money for watching on TV just like he does when hes not playing?

Nobody owes anyone anything in exchange for them having a desire for the service they provide. All you have to do is not support it. But you do. you enjoy(often for free) what they work to provide you. You are owed nothing.

nobody worships their athletes quite like Basketball fans.. its something about being able to pick up a ball on any given day and pretend youre Kemp dunking , or Jordan hitting a gamewinner ,or Magic giving a no look.

you got millionaires refusing a 50/50 split?
    And billionaires refusing a 53/47 one. It happens.

Jordan got paid like 800,000 a year . You got scrubs like Fisher, getting paid millions, and acting straight juvenile.

OWNERS FTW
    Jordan himself fought for the right for those players to make the money they do. Not the best example. If he followed his own advice he would sell his team to someone who can afford to operate it under a 57% split which is actually LESS than he wanted the players to get.

Default Re: Even as a fan for well over 2 decades I still must say..I dont think the NBA owes me.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    We as americans dont give enough back in a lot of ways but we also dont have near the money or means like they do to make a difference. We can give what.. a couple thousand dollars a year to charity as grown adults.. me as a student I have 50 dollars in my savings account and thousands in debt. How am I supposed to help others in a less fortunate position than me? I do community service right now and I did it in HS. Other than that I cant really contribute much more. I may be very well of in the world but I dont have the means to help a lot of the people below me.

These guys on the other hand, have the time, resources, money, and power to influence people and make a difference in a way I cannot no matter how comfortably Imaybe living. A lot of them are role models to future generations growing up. They hold a lot more responsiblity than I do.. it's a big difference. The morals are the same but the opportunity to make a difference isnt even close.

We all have enough to change lives. I could probably buy insect netting for 10 bucks that might save 3-4 lives in parts of the world infected with malaria. And while its a nice idea.....im probably not gonna do it. Not because im evil. But because I...have other things going on.

Ive done charity. still do. Im quick to help someone worse off. But I dont do all Ican. At all. Few do. ANd im not gonna hate on others for it like im sitting aside all my extra to send rice to flood victims. My xbox cost more than the average yearly income of a couple countries....

And most rich people do make a difference. At least NBa player/owner rich. You know how many people are on these guys to give? I remember Barkley said he would tell rookies the first words to learn is "No". this world tries to bleed newly rich people dry. Family and friends are the reason many of these guys go broke so fast without a check coming in. Formerly broke people are quick to try to make everyone who struggled with them better off. It happens with lottery winners too.

These guys get rich...the whole family is rich. I remember Shammond Williams little brother getting a Benz and he barely made the NBA.

They dont know shit about money for the most part. But the yare hosting Katrina charity games, building playgrounds, and churchs, and community centers, and hospitals in africa, and donating halls to schools and setting up funds, and grants, and so on.

That money goes out. Few are just sitting on 100 million if they made 100 million. Wherever it goes....even blown on garbage...that money is going back out into the world.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    We all have enough to change lives. I could probably buy insect netting for 10 bucks that might save 3-4 lives in parts of the world infected with malaria. And while its a nice idea.....im probably not gonna do it. Not because im evil. But because I...have other things going on.

Ive done charity. still do. Im quick to help someone worse off. But I dont do all Ican. At all. Few do. ANd im not gonna hate on others for it like im sitting aside all my extra to send rice to flood victims. My xbox cost more than the average yearly income of a couple countries....

And most rich people do make a difference. At least NBa player/owner rich. You know how many people are on these guys to give? I remember Barkley said he would tell rookies the first words to learn is "No". this world tries to bleed newly rich people dry. Family and friends are the reason many of these guys go broke so fast without a check coming in. Formerly broke people are quick to try to make everyone who struggled with them better off. It happens with lottery winners too.

These guys get rich...the whole family is rich. I remember Shammond Williams little brother getting a Benz and he barely made the NBA.

They dont know shit about money for the most part. But the yare hosting Katrina charity games, building playgrounds, and churchs, and community centers, and hospitals in africa, and donating halls to schools and setting up funds, and grants, and so on.

That money goes out. Few are just sitting on 100 million if they made 100 million. Wherever it goes....even blown on garbage...that money is going back out into the world.
    And how are you going to get that insect netting to Africa? You cant set up a charity.. you cant provide the means to help others.. unless you want to devote a huge part of your life to it, which, for a lot of americans, wouldn't be completely possible since most have full time jobs. You can do it through other people that have more means than you. And those people either have to be rich, or they have to devote their whole lives to it. The thing is NBA players can get it done without devoting their whole lives to it, and they can usually draw a lot more support because their names draw crowds.

The point is NBA players can make a huge impact without giving up many of their possesions. I'm talking about the big names here.. not 500000k a year bench players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    incase you didnt know, FANS pay these players salaries.
    And they currently aren't receiving any salary.

And the players create the fans in the first place.

Little busy right now but i wanted to answer something you said....

How to donate? Id google donate mosquito nets and do it with 10 dollars on one of the sites setup to do it. Its easy. But people still dont do it. We only care enough to point out that others dont care enough.

For the record......im sending the net money. Ill show a screenshot of the confirmation page. Perhaps we can band together in this topic and show if we really do care about the less fortunate.

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

The only reason these people have jobs is because the fans are willing to pay to watch it. So yes, the players and owners do owe the fans.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

For the record......im sending the net money. Ill show a screenshot of the confirmation page. Perhaps we can band together in this topic and show if we really do care about the less fortunate.
    Damn man.. wish I had a credit or debit card. This is what I'm talking about.

The only reason these people have jobs is because the fans are willing to pay to watch it. So yes, the players and owners do owe the fans.
    And only reason anyone has a job is people willing to pay for whatever their job offers(a product...or a service). Doesnt mean everyone owes everyone else. It means people buy and sell...the sellers dont owe the buyers for paying for what they want.

we should just all agree the dr dre owes us detox

http://www.nothingbutnets.net/

Every 45 seconds, a child dies from malaria -- which is easily prevented through the use of an insecticide-treated net.

A net costs just $10 to purchase, deliver, and educate the recipient on its proper use. Bed nets are a simple, life-saving solution, but we need your help to provide them to those in need. Join us today.

I was amused to see "NBA cares" on the list of places to choose where you heard of them from. anyway....

There. perhaps someone gets to live over a trivial sum of money for an american.

But most of us arent gonna pay it. And I may never do it again.

But we sure dont mind hating on other peoples greed.

And only reason anyone has a job is people willing to pay for whatever their job offers(a product...or a service). Doesnt mean everyone owes everyone else. It means people buy and sell...the sellers dont owe the buyers for paying for what they want.
    But they're not doing their job right now.

Which is why we arent buying anything. And nobody is being wronged.

Arguably some cities due the money the teams bring in or....the Tv networks which have to pay the NBA with or without games to show. But thats it.

Im not paying. Im not getting. Im owed nothing.

Season ticket holders I imagine will get the money back. Thats what the NFL planned. If not...thats something owed.

We are. We've made these owners and players rich and now they're not playing.

We didnt make the owners rich. At least not as basketball fans. You dont buy an NBA team...then get rich. You are rich to begin with.

And the players...just sellers of a service. We buy it. Us watching it....deal is complete.

Unless you have a ticket they didnt return the cash for they dont owe you anything. And even if you do...it wouldnt be the players owing it.