Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Derrick rose = shooting guard

and its not as simple as a sg scores and pg passes this is not football every single player on the floor should be able score pass and do things without the ball thats how the best teams are built.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    and its not as simple as a sg scores and pg passes this is not football every single player on the floor should be able score pass and do things without the ball thats how the best teams are built.
    Then what's the point of having positions.....? Just because every play should be able to do all these things doesn't mean a center shouldn't be significantly better at rebounding than a guard. Just because football roles are more defined doesn't mean there's not a role that each position should fill in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    The coach of the team defines that....cant think of any opposing arguments.
    This. And the media to some extent. Like the whole Tim Duncan thing . Or how some people look at Jefferson as a center even though the only reason he's playing it is because of being on teams with undersized frontcourts.

I do NOT agree.

1. WRONG. Tony Parker and Zeke....also, Billups and maybe you could say Archibald.

2. WRONG AGAIN. Dude averages close to 8 assists a game. That is good for a point guard. But if you watch the Bulls you'd see we NEED him to score. It's not his fault, Boozer, Brewer, Korver, Noah and Deng need to step it up offensively.

He would be a VERY undersized shooting guard at 6'2", would take more punishment guarding bigger stronger players, and he just ins't a 2-guard, he's a scoring point that does what his team needs.

If when we get another scorer he will adjust his game accordingly.

But as a franchise and a team we ASKED Rose to shoot more threes and to takeover games. It's not exactly his style.
    - Tony parker was the spurs 2nd highest scorer in 07' and was clearly their second option.

- Isiah was barely their leading scorer. The pistons whole ethos on offense was to share the ball and have as many people as possible contribute in scoring.

- Billups & archibald? Seriously? Now you're really stretching.

- He's 6"3, 1 inch smaller than dwade.

- So do honestly believe that he only scored more because the bulls needed him to? By that logic, he will settle back into a playmaking/facilitating role as soon as the bulls have enough around him on offense right? WRONG! he has showed us that he is a 25+ point scorer, a bonafide stud who can and will carry the bulls offense for years to come.

Ultimately, i think its better to score that many points, and in the manner in which he scores those points, as a 2 guard rather than a point guard, that's all.
    Last edited by oolalaa; 11-14-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    - Tony parker was the spurs 2nd highest scorer in 07' and was clearly their second option.

- Isiah was barely their leading scorer. The pistons whole ethos on offense was to share the ball and have as many people as possible contribute in scoring.

- Billups & archibald? Seriously? Now you're really stretching.

- He's 6"3, 1 inch smaller than dwade.

- So do honestly believe that he only scored more because the bulls needed him to? By that logic, he will settle back into a playmaking role as soon as the bulls have enough around him on offense right? WRONG! he has showed us that he is a 25+ point scorer, a bonafide stud who can and will carry the bulls offense for years to come.

Ultimately, i think its better to score that many points, and in the manner in which he scores those points, as a 2 guard rather than a point guard, that's all.
    1.) I watched the games and TP was the man that year. Better than Manu. Better than even Tim (as far as offense).

2.) Every team's ethos is share the ball and use everyone. I remember the Bulls used to try and get everyone shots in the first half. Luc Longley got a lot of easy dunks in the first quarter. But in crunch time you give it to the man. And in crunch time you knew Zeke was the man, the guy who could snap off on you. As for Chauncey he was the same way, "Mr. Big Shot." He was a shoot first PG, still is kinda, maybe balanced is a better term but he has never averaged a high number of assists and he isn't necessarily a creative passer.

3.) Rose is 6'2" brother. Trust and believe me not that NBA hype.

4.) There is no one in the league that could bring the ball up better than Rose that would be feasible to acquire.

Do you know how many easy points we get by just giving the ball to Rose and let him run past people?

Rose scores like a 2-guard a lot, look at his highlights, he is awesome at v-cutting, he passes the ball on the break a goodly number of times so he can fly ahead of the pack and finish for alleys and easy scores, and now he's even started to pull the trigger on spot up 3's.

Speaking of three's he didn't WANT to shoot them but the team ASKED him. He was perfectly fine NOT taking them and visibly uncomfortable with the shot for awhile.

We're just waiting for the right personnel and then Rose will blossom (damn what a horrible pun), just wait...he's only 23.

Positions are somewhat over-rated. Just because he's a scorer doesn't mean he shouldn't be a PG. I honestly think it matters on his team because if he was on a team with another good PG he'd be able to spend a lot of times covering SGs but his offensive game would be almost identical. If you watch Wade or Kobe play, they bring the ball up more than their PGs... it would be the same with Rose.

5-time NBA All-Star

It was a poor series but they were the better team. I mean that's what it boiled down to. Dude won 62 games CARRYING us and integrated what, 7 new players?

That's a big adjustment for a PG....not to mention coaching.

Remember when Bron made it to the finals as a young player and got trounced by the veteran Spurs? That's what happened to Rose in a nutshell...with more experience he'll learn to do what all greats vets do which is be fresh for the playoffs.

Ya'll need to stop holding onto these antiquated "Hoosiers" basketball theories...
    And thru the injuries. Leadership has it's taxation on energy as well.

Welcome back, G Get. Rose was spent, and mentally spent because he had to ad-lib a lot as well. Guarding Wade, not knowing how to pace himself deep into the playoffs, compensating for injured players all year, playing thru the injury, guys (Booze) totally busting up plays, defensive speed of Miami as a team, high number of close games throughout the playoffs, teams played him physically and he wouldn't always get the call... .

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    And thru the injuries. Leadership has it's taxation on energy as well.

Welcome back, G Get. Rose was spent, and mentally spent because he had to ad-lib a lot as well. Guarding Wade, not knowing how to pace himself deep into the playoffs, compensating for injured players all year, playing thru the injury, guys (Booze) totally busting up plays, defensive speed of Miami as a team, high number of close games throughout the playoffs, teams played him physically and he wouldn't always get the call... .

People act like we don't realize it's not wise to rest your scoring load on an "NBA midget." Like we can't see it's harder and more taxing to score, especially at the rim, the shorter you are. That it's hard for scoring PGs to win it all...

But it is possible....even more possible with a balance in scoring. And let's be real, Bogans and Brewer is not making any 2's stomach turn with anxiety.

Deng is a good scorer, just not a good improviser.

We really need(ed) Booz to step the **** up. We need to get another 2 in here pronto. Just let him be able to guard someone, hit an open shot, and handle a bit we will be a match for any team I think.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 11-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    This. And the media to some extent. Like the whole Tim Duncan thing . Or how some people look at Jefferson as a center even though the only reason he's playing it is because of being on teams with undersized frontcourts.
    The reason why he was used as a center is because the Wolves didn't have any other player they can confidently use as the starting center. When the Wolves got Ryan Hollins and Darko, Jefferson had his minutes split between the 4 and the 5 spots.

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Derrick Rose needs to move to shooting guard as soon as this pathetic lockout is over!

I think this for a couple of reasons...

1. It's incredibly hard to win a championship with a slashing point guard who is also your main scorer. In fact, it's so hard that no team in history has done it (A.I came closest in 01').

2. His skills are more suited to the 2 guard position. He is a good playmaker but not a great one and is always looking to attack the rim.

Although he would be a slightly undersized shooting guard, he has more than enough athletic ability to make up for it and he wouldn't be burdened with the task of running an offense.

Does anyone else agree with me?

I completely agree.. Anyone notice that tyreke evans is a sg now??.. That's where Derrick rose should be .. Why should he be the pg?..the best part to his game is scoring .. N no matter what .. No nba teams NEEDS a pg to take more than 30 fga n I seen Derrick do it alot like he was Kobe or something .. If Derrick rose Is a pure pg why shouldn't lebron be.. He's the guy running plays n making the tempo N was a pg his rookie year.. The nba position labels always been stupid to me.. Derrick is a sg .. Plan n simple

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_korver
    I completely agree.. Anyone notice that tyreke evans is a sg now??.. That's where Derrick rose should be .. Why should he be the pg?..the best part to his game is scoring .. N no matter what .. No nba teams NEEDS a pg to take more than 30 fga n I seen Derrick do it alot like he was Kobe or something .. If Derrick rose Is a pure pg why shouldn't lebron be.. He's the guy running plays n making the tempo N was a pg his rookie year.. The nba position labels always been stupid to me.. Derrick is a sg .. Plan n simple

Derrick bring the ball up the court, initiates the offense, is the leader of the team, and Thibs says, "he's our point guard."

You have no argument other than "I dislike his style as a PG."

Banned

oolalaa = retard

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_korver
    I completely agree.. Anyone notice that tyreke evans is a sg now??.. That's where Derrick rose should be .. Why should he be the pg?..the best part to his game is scoring .. N no matter what .. No nba teams NEEDS a pg to take more than 30 fga n I seen Derrick do it alot like he was Kobe or something .. If Derrick rose Is a pure pg why shouldn't lebron be.. He's the guy running plays n making the tempo N was a pg his rookie year.. The nba position labels always been [COLOR="Red"]stupid to me[/COLOR].. Derrick is a sg .. Plan n simple and Im stupid

Derrick Rose is a Combo Guard and more Towards a Point Guard so what does that mean

DERRICK ROSE = POINT GUARD [COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="Blue"].[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Then what's the point of having positions.....? Just because every play should be able to do all these things doesn't mean a center shouldn't be significantly better at rebounding than a guard. Just because football roles are more defined doesn't mean there's not a role that each position should fill in basketball.

A lot of teams don't use these positions in the classical sense anymore, just go by numbers instead.

Say you play spread pick'nroll a lot with 3 guys along the 3pt line as shooters. 2 weak or 2 strong side. You'd want to change the positions in which the players set up switching between left and right corner, and left and right slot so the defensive players has to do the different rotations. A sg and a sf would have the exact same responsibilities, so why call them something that would seem they do different things?

On my team we have a "4" position and it's being the trailer in a two guard front. Even though I say guard, we can use all players in this position, usually we use a 2nd big here or a 2nd guard, what we can do from the position obv changes depending on who's in it, but it's still the 4 position.

If we don't use numbers we define our positions as guards, wings and bigs.

A good coach won't let his players be defined by position, but his positions defined by his players i guess..

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
    Derrick Rose is a Combo Guard and more Towards a Point Guard so what does that mean

DERRICK ROSE = POINT GUARD [COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="Blue"].[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Derrick rose averaged more fga than Kevin Durant!!?? What other pg does that!!!??.. The scoring leader in the nba!.. Get real