Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "The Chief" Robert Parrish wasn't enamored by MJ

Parish left the Celtics in 1994 for Charlotte, where he played two seasons. His final year in the league was in 1996-97, when he played with Michael Jordan in Chicago and won another ring.

There, he regained an appreciation for Bird's leadership style.

"What set Larry apart from Magic and Jordan was he wasn't an in-your-face leader like they were," Parish said. "He had too much respect for us. If you weren't having a good night, he was more inclined to encourage you, or not say anything at all.

"But Magic and Jordan would jump all over you."

In one of his first practices with the Bulls, Parish botched one of the plays and was amused to find Jordan jawing at him just inches from his face.

"I told him, 'I'm not as enamored with you as these other guys. I've got some rings too,' " Parish recalled. "At that point he told me, 'I'm going to kick your ass.' I took one step closer and said, 'No, you really aren't.' After that he didn't bother me."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...-original-trio

Banned

Default Re: "The Chief" Robert Parrish wasn't enamored by MJ

Jordan getting punked by this bean pole. No surprise there, Jordan was a fake tough guy. Always trying to compensate for his baby dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    "I told him, 'I'm not as enamored with you as these other guys. I've got some rings too,' " Parish recalled. "At that point he told me, 'I'm going to kick your ass.' I took one step closer and said, 'No, you really aren't.' After that he didn't bother me."
    Boss.

So Jordan was a fake tough guy/bully

small package behavior indeed

Parish is not f'ing around.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Well maybe Bird should have taken notes from Magic's leadership while he watched Magic lead the Lakers over his Celtics 66% of the time they met in the finals..

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Parish left the Celtics in 1994 for Charlotte, where he played two seasons. His final year in the league was in 1996-97, when he played with Michael Jordan in Chicago and won another ring.

There, he regained an appreciation for Bird's leadership style.

"What set Larry apart from Magic and Jordan was he wasn't an in-your-face leader like they were," Parish said. "He had too much respect for us. If you weren't having a good night, he was more inclined to encourage you, or not say anything at all.

"But Magic and Jordan would jump all over you."

In one of his first practices with the Bulls, Parish botched one of the plays and was amused to find Jordan jawing at him just inches from his face.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/...-original-trio

Interesting perspective. I could see how the in-your-face motivation might add more pressure on teammates in already extremely tense situations.

Decent playground baller

I totally forgot he was on the Bulls. Did he not get a ring in 96 because of injuries?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Well maybe Bird should have taken notes from Magic's leadership while he watched Magic lead the Lakers over his Celtics 66% of the time they met in the finals..
    Magic's win and Birds loss in 1987 had nothing to do with leadership. LA should have swept Boston considering the circumstances.

For another thread, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Parish is a beast. I can't think of what movie star he looks like in that picture. Mj should respect his elders. Parish probably remembers kicking mjs ass in the 80s. Best word is amused. He's like lolok mj.

-Smak

Decent playground baller

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Siemens
    I totally forgot he was on the Bulls. Did he not get a ring in 96 because of injuries?
    He played for Charlotte in 1996 according to BBref. He won a ring in 1997 with the Bulls.

Yeah those 80s guys weren't intimidated at all by Mj. Think the whole intimidating mystique began 2nd 3peat iirc.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    Jordan getting punked by this bean pole. No surprise there, Jordan was a fake tough guy. Always trying to compensate for his baby dick.

Robert Parish was lowkey a goon though. He just appeared to be a nice guy. I seen him check the shit out of a couple of people in the 80s.