Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: 2011 Slam Dunk Contest Participants leaked

A chance for McGee to embarrass himself even more..

I mean seriously why this guy? He barely gets off the ground, he just has a long wingspan

No LeBron....

Dunking on everybody in the park TheTruth11's Avatar

I like what this NBA.com pundit had to say: DRose all day

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/or...thejump_c.nba/

As it stands now, Blake will take it

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IamSofaKing
    A chance for McGee to embarrass himself even more..

I mean seriously why this guy? He barely gets off the ground, he just has a long wingspan
    I am personally a fan of McGee's unique dunking style. His freakishly weird build yields some pretty unique dunks. I'm glad he's in. I'm more worried about Brandon Jennings and Serge Ibaka. I would have much preferred, say, Westbrook and Rose (or Terrence Williams and Terrico White).

I have to admit to not knowing Jennings' true dunking resume, only the clips I've seen posted in this thread. I'm impressed by the between-the-legs finish, but he did not seem to complete it emphatically enough to make me think "Man, what else could he do?!" Instead, I got the feeling that was about as extreme as he's going to get.

In Serge Ibaka's case, I love his game dunks and that clip from Spain that was posted showcased his length, but he appears pretty pedestrian. Again, Ibaka and Jennings are kind of unknowns for me, but the early evidence isn't insanely promising.

McGee on the other hand, alluding to his previous unique style (LeBron23 posted some of these links earlier), is an intriguing choice for me. I acknowledge he appears to make a flurry of questionable decisions, but I think that has overshadowed some real dunking, new-era Larry Nance type of stuff.

Windmill (via LeBron23)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXged7PbPE

McGee Vince Windmill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuEqg7hEbI

Cradle (via LeBron23) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSP6aKGx6Wc

Weird Hip Dunk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWK472WPNU

I actually appreciate the fact McGee's willing to try all sorts of dunks, even if he truck sticks a James Jones every now and again.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Banned

at least nate isn't in it, should be a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I am personally a fan of McGee's unique dunking style. His freakishly weird build yields some pretty unique dunks. I'm glad he's in. I'm more worried about Brandon Jennings and Serge Ibaka. I would have much preferred, say, Westbrook and Rose (or Terrence Williams and Terrico White).

I have to admit to not knowing Jennings' true dunking resume, only the clips I've seen posted in this thread. I'm impressed by the between-the-legs finish, but he did not seem to complete it emphatically enough to make me think "Man, what else could he do?!" Instead, I got the feeling that was about as extreme as he's going to get.

In Serge Ibaka's case, I love his game dunks and that clip from Spain that was posted showcased his length, but he appears pretty pedestrian. Again, Ibaka and Jennings are kind of unknowns for me, but the early evidence isn't insanely promising.

McGee on the other hand, alluding to his previous unique style (LeBron23 posted some of these links earlier), is an intriguing choice for me. I acknowledge he appears to make a flurry of questionable decisions, but I think that has overshadowed some real dunking, new-era Larry Nance type of stuff.

Windmill (via LeBron23)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXged7PbPE

McGee Vince Windmill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuEqg7hEbI

Cradle (via LeBron23) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSP6aKGx6Wc

Weird Hip Dunk - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWK472WPNU

I actually appreciate the fact McGee's willing to try all sorts of dunks, even if he truck sticks a James Jones every now and again.
    Fair enough..

Im just saying there are ton of players i would rather see than this year's contestants (except Griffin)

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by IamSofaKing
    Fair enough..

Im just saying there are ton of players i would rather see than this year's contestants (except Griffin)
    I agree with you there. I keep getting this feeling the NBA has some sort of weird protocol to filling out their dunk contestants. Brandon Jennings seems to fulfill their yearly "small guy" contestant. Like I said before, I'd really like to see Derrick Rose, Terrence Williams, Terrico White (who's injured right this moment) or Russell Westbrook. The way they gather contestants has always been a mystery.

I say this every year, but even as recently as 2000, we the viewers were treated to six contestants who each had 3 first round dunks. Three finalists would then have two dunks a piece in the finals. Quick math would tell us that's 24 dunks.

Today, we have four contestants performing two dunks a piece in round one and two finalists dunking twice in the finals. That's a total of 12 dunks which is, yes, half of the total from just 10 years ago. Can we have a great dunk contest with just 12 dunks? Absolutely. But what happens when a couple of contestants crap out and miss half their dunks?

Well, in the year 2000, when Larry Hughes and Jerry Stackhouse were thoroughly unimpressive, there were enough other dunkers and dunks to overshadow their shortcomings (this was the year of VC, T-Mac, Steve Francis and Ricky Davis). In 2010, when Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace struggled, the cupboard was bare. We were left with one fresh face (DeMar DeRozan) and a player we'd already grown tired of three years earlier (Nate Robinson).

The fact that the 2010 NBA Dunk Contest was the worst in history was not a coincidence. With the way the contest has transformed over the past decade, it has been set up to fail. We're giving less players less dunks and expecting a show greater than anything that's come before. On top of everything else, there are players being rejected from the dunk contest (Joe Alexander, Russell Westbrook in '08) who want to be in.

The NBA is getting in the way of their own success here. The constant adjustments to fit timeslots or appeals to certain corners of the market have left us with a situation where every dunker (all four of them) have to give us the show of their lives in order to satisfy the masses.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-05-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm

im sorry but power dunkers in the dunk contest are boring as hell to me.

the only thing they ever do that looks cool is assault the rim but its just not that impressive when a big dude crushes it with nobody guarding him.

other than that they have no creativity and are forced to use stupid props to win (see idiotic Superman dunk that wasnt even a dunk)
    Cool Story to share

Back home in the PBA, one of our burly forwards joined the dunk contest (no need to be voted in) and used two of his teammates to dunk on. After the dunk he proceeded to stick his jersey out a-la Kobe while running around the court. That got him to the finals.

On the finals, he took another team's center beneath the rim so he could cram it to his face. But instead of just jumping straight up, the guy actually tried to block him, and he did a reverse layup.

The hilarity of the situation caused me to forget if he won or not.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

I agree, who makes these decisions? As a Thunder fan I can tell you, Serge Ibaka has hops, but he has never done a dunk that had any kind of style. He'd be a better prop to be under the basket trying to block everybody. That's what he does best.

Brandon Jennings? He's currently out with a foot injury. They say he should be back in time, but I can't imagine anybody in the Milwaukee organization, including himself, would want him competing in a dunk contest just returning from a foot injury.

Blake Griffin and Javale McGee I had no problem with. Don't let the fact he is a dunce blind you to his hops. He has a legit chance.

But like someone said, Westbrook has been trynig to be in it since his rookie yr and his in game dunk resume really suggest he has something for us. And especially if he gets snubbed for the big game, it'd be a great consolation prize. Joe Alexander wanted to be in, submitted a video of himself touching the rim with his head to warmup before practice, and everybody voted in Rudy Fernandez instead. Terrico White, maybe the league feels like he doesn't get enough pt or do it in games so I can live with that omission. But why no Sonny Weems? Derrick Rose? Hell, James Harden I have seen dunk between the legs and some nice stuff.

I believe the league just calls dudes and tells them they have to be in it.

Local High School Star

Lebron p***y

Quote Originally Posted by RandyOrton
    Jennings really that athletic? and Ibaka?
    Look at this and watch the video where they test his vert

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/serge-ibaka-vertical

Banned

in games dunks are enjoyable to watch. Dunk contests are retarded.

Again Lebron is an A$$HOLE!!!!!!

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Billy Hoyle was robbed!

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by kabalcage
    LeBron will never do it because he'll embarrass himself by failing to win or winning under dubious means.

He's not a great dunker. He's no Jordan. He's no Vince Carter. He's not even a Kobe Bryant.

Lebron won't even entertain the thought of being in the slam dunk contest. He's just afraid that he might lose to Griffin & lose his ego as a star. Griffin would just dominate Lebron in this contest, Lebron is only good with fast break dunks.