Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bulking up for Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    WOW, thanks for the help,
    But, just that?

I need 2 things..

- Increase my vertical, 5'9 (27 inches of vertical i guess)
    - Gain height, i'm 138 right now.

Check out the "Need some help guys" thread. I discussed the vertical jump and upper body strength with Swaggin and he gave me some great advice.
    There is probably all the information you need.

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
    Check out the "Need some help guys" thread. I discussed the vertical jump and upper body strength with Swaggin and he gave me some great advice.
    There is probably all the information you need.
    I'll check it, thanks

Not airballing my layups anymore Euroball5's Avatar

Yeah I'm trying to bulk and I'm taking a weight gainer supplement on the days i work out. I would recommend you and anyone who wants to bulk to take one too.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

How old are you? Don't gain weight for the sake of gaining weight. As stated, focus on clean eating and getting enough calories, and working on the court and in the weight room. "dead" weight will only hinder your basketball progress.

Example- two people with the same amount of strength/power, one weighs 140, the other 150- who jumps higher? who is quicker? who runs faster/accelerates?

Let it come "naturally" through those things mentioned. Weight gainer shakes are not needed, if you are young, whole nutritious natural foods are the way to go.

I would like to see someone making a plan to do in the gym .. but i guess it's too hard and to boring to make it.
    i did this a while back, ill try and find the thread

edit***
    See this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=138938
    me and suprageex put up our workout programs
    Last edited by Automajic23; 01-26-2010 at 04:11 PM.

I would like to see someone making a plan to do in the gym .. but i guess it's too hard and to boring to make it.

As a performance coach I will say that it is pretty hard to do over the internet. not boring, but need specifics on the person. In any case, a generalized program is not the best, but better than nothing. The programs in the linked thread above aren't too bad, maybe too much single joint stuff and slightly high on the volume. I would imagine most here are very young, 13-17 years old, inexpereinced in weights but play a lot of ball. Therefore they will make quick gains, but need to watch volume due to recovery and the amount of pounding they take on the court. Another issue is techique and mechanics of lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    As a performance coach I will say that it is pretty hard to do over the internet. not boring, but need specifics on the person. In any case, a generalized program is not the best, but better than nothing. The programs in the linked thread above aren't too bad, maybe too much single joint stuff and slightly high on the volume. I would imagine most here are very young, 13-17 years old, inexpereinced in weights but play a lot of ball. Therefore they will make quick gains, but need to watch volume due to recovery and the amount of pounding they take on the court. Another issue is techique and mechanics of lifts.
    true, sorry im 24. You're right though, my previous workout listed above is a bit high on the reps. I should revise it for proper use. I should also direct in how you want to be lifting (slow/resistance/focus lifting vs power/explosive lifting) Will do something about this when I get the chance

Im 16 years old. I workout a lot like when im at home I used to do 200 pushups a day, run stairs, pull ups, squats, dynamic stretching. This is because I just don't have access to a gym as of right now but I am dedicated. I don't mind putting on some fat because when the preseason/season come around I would have ran every last bit of fat off my body. Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN 40lbs by the beginning off next season but the thing is how can I do so while playing basketball frequently and not losing to much athleticism. My friend that went to hempstead was 5'9" 195lbs and was dunking like it was as simple as breathing. He would get to the rim at will because he was quick as lightning and could run you out of his way. I envy his ability to be doing that at his size.

The weight room exercises I think help gain weight are:
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    Squats (unfortunately my school doesn't have it)
    DB Rows

I just need a good routine to follow.

If you were avaliable, i could send my specifics (all that you wany) and you cold help me ..
    But i guess it's too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    Im 16 years old. I workout a lot like when im at home I used to do 200 pushups a day, run stairs, pull ups, squats, dynamic stretching. This is because I just don't have access to a gym as of right now but I am dedicated. I don't mind putting on some fat because when the preseason/season come around I would have ran every last bit of fat off my body. Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.

I WOULD LOVE TO GAIN 40lbs by the beginning off next season but the thing is how can I do so while playing basketball frequently and not losing to much athleticism. My friend that went to hempstead was 5'9" 195lbs and was dunking like it was as simple as breathing. He would get to the rim at will because he was quick as lightning and could run you out of his way. I envy his ability to be doing that at his size.

The weight room exercises I think help gain weight are:
    Bench Press
    Deadlifts
    Squats (unfortunately my school doesn't have it)
    DB Rows

I just need a good routine to follow.
    And Military Press with either Dumbells or Barbells. Also, weighted pullups are great back exercise for putting on size and weight (Or body weight pullups if you can't do 10) . All of those exercises are multi-joint and will give you your best gains.

Besides when you build muscle you gain fat regardless.
    While this isn't necessarily true, for the most part you do have to be willing to put on a little fat if you want to make quick gains. By quick I mean a 4-5 months quick... not a couple weeks quick like most people want but can't have. Your muscles are going to need a lot of nutrients/energy aka calories when building and you won't be doing a whole lot of cardio (if you are trying to do it the right way) so because of the extra calories you will gain weight. After 4 or 5 months though you can cut back some on the calories and you will really start losing fat because of the extra calorie burning muscle you packed on.

Or, you can just continue to do what you are doing and start lifting. It won't be as effective or as fast acting, but it will work especially since some of you guys have so much room to build.

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

Im trying to gain weight to and so far i have been somewhat successful. I lift twice a week after school (Monday's upper body/Thursday's lower body) and afterwards i drink monster milk (45g's of protein) and i have increased my food intake by a ton. It is working considering when i started doing this in mid november i was 155lbs (at 6'5" that is sickly skinny) to now 170lbs (had a week when i was sick and i lost 5-10 lbs so i think i would be more). Now i haven't been doing much running or speed drills but i haven't noticed much of a difference in those things at my indoor soccer games. My goal is to be 185-190 by next bball season...Does that sound good for a 6'5" maybe 6'6" big man?

Your workout program should consist of mainly compound exercices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
    Im trying to gain weight to and so far i have been somewhat successful. I lift twice a week after school (Monday's upper body/Thursday's lower body) and afterwards i drink monster milk (45g's of protein) and i have increased my food intake by a ton. It is working considering when i started doing this in mid november i was 155lbs (at 6'5" that is sickly skinny) to now 170lbs (had a week when i was sick and i lost 5-10 lbs so i think i would be more). Now i haven't been doing much running or speed drills but i haven't noticed much of a difference in those things at my indoor soccer games. My goal is to be 185-190 by next bball season...Does that sound good for a 6'5" maybe 6'6" big man?
    You ought to be at least 200 man. Kobe is pretty thin these days but still runs at about 205/210 and you guys are about the same height... So yea try to get up to 200. Obviously you want that weight to be lean though.

You have to work out more than 1 day a week for upper body though if you really want to put on weight. You should be in the gym 5 days a week working out different muscle groups and not bunching them all together. 1 day for lower body is fine. Hey at least you are getting in there and being consistent... that's a good thing.

How old are you? Don't gain weight for the sake of gaining weight. As stated, focus on clean eating and getting enough calories, and working on the court and in the weight room. "dead" weight will only hinder your basketball progress.

Example- two people with the same amount of strength/power, one weighs 140, the other 150- who jumps higher? who is quicker? who runs faster/accelerates?

Let it come "naturally" through those things mentioned. Weight gainer shakes are not needed, if you are young, whole nutritious natural foods are the way to go.
    Why shouldn't somebody young take a weight gainer supplement ?

If you were avaliable, i could send my specifics (all that you wany) and you cold help me ..
    But i guess it's too much work.

I'll send you a PM soon.