Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Peak Shaq vs. Peak Jordan

This deserves its own thread. Who do YOU think was better, and why?

Default Re: Peak Shaq vs. Peak Jordan

Peak Jordan was better, but Peak Shaq was more impactful on the court.

Why: he's over 7ft and >300lbs.

i'd take shaq's peak over anyone elses. he could change any modern team into an instant contender.

Shaq against any non-big.

Put up near 40-20 games in the Finals, and a ridiculous post presence. Nothing scarier as a defender than Shaq coming at you. Can't stop him without fouling, and he was great at passing out of the double team.

Jordan. He's the GOAT nuff said.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

2000 Shaq = GOAT

Tough call. If they're playing against each other in their peak, who gets the better of whom? I suspect Shaq

College superstar

ive never seen anyone more skilled than peak shaq...and the footage doesnt lie

go to youtube and type in "shaqs gangsta move on michael jordan". name ONE big man in the nba that can do that...i dont mean on michael jordan, just alone in an empty gym. i started watching shaq a year before he was drafted and was baffled even then when people questioned his skills. i had never seen such skills.

peak shaq = greatest player of alltime

Said this in moe's thread and I'll say it again:

I'll take Jordan by a hair, ONLY because he could be relied on in crunch time. Too many basketball games are close down the stretch, and Jordan was a huge asset in those situations. Shaq became a liability in crunch time because of his free throw shooting.

If it weren't for this crucial point, I would give Shaq the slight edge. His physical dominance was worth every bit of Jordan's skill and competitive spirit. Nature > nurture.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Shaq against any non-big.

Put up near 40-20 games in the Finals, and a ridiculous post presence. Nothing scarier as a defender than Shaq coming at you. Can't stop him without fouling, and he was great at passing out of the double team.
    This.

He was also a legitimate defensive anchor over those years. Shaq put a whole hell of a lot of effort into his game at his peak, very very few of the criticisms consistently leveled at him were valid then and he'll always have his 3-peat and Finals performances. His peak has come to really define his legacy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    ive never seen anyone more skilled than peak shaq...and the footage doesnt lie
    He's not more skilled. But a combination of his skills and size makes him more impactful than more skilled people.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Said this in moe's thread and I'll say it again:

I'll take Jordan by a hair, ONLY because he could be relied on in crunch time. Too many basketball games are close down the stretch, and Jordan was a huge asset in those situations. Shaq became a liability in crunch time because of his free throw shooting.

If it weren't for this crucial point, I would give Shaq the slight edge. His physical dominance was worth every bit of Jordan's skill and competitive spirit. Nature > nurture.

I agree with this.

2000 and 2001 playoffs were the only time Shaq really gave a shit on defense and he was the best defender in the league. He intimidated the shit out of everyone and locked down the paint, protected the rim. Scoring wise they were even but MJ was a better passer. Shaq had more defensive attention he literally drew triples regularly and even quadruples in the playoffs at times. He was also a much better rebounder and his size/speed was monstrous. It really comes down to MJ not being able to reach Shaqs level of dominance on the defensive end but its close these are the 2 greatest peak players by far in history

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    Peak Jordan was better, but Peak Shaq was more impactful on the court.

Why: he's over 7ft and >300lbs.
    Huh? So "better" = more skilled? Because if so TJ Ford and Jamal Tinsley are "better" than Shaq as well. Isn't impact what makes a player better at the end of the day?

NBA rookie of the year

Jordan strictly because sooner or later you will have to play in a close game down the stretch and Jordan was the best big time crunch player in the game, the Bulls had several games they probably should have lost that he single handedly turned into wins. Shaq in those situations not only is not as good but is a liability because of his free throws.

Shaq would be my no.2 choice for starting a franchise though, above anyone else.

Local High School Star CHi1PriDe's Avatar

Umm jordan obviously, was a tough mf and a superior leader. Beasted on both ends of the floor and having no glaring weaknesses. Don't forget about clutch factor too.

jordan rules >>> hackashaq

AINEC