Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Bryant Dunking on Kareem like he's a beetch *VIDEO*

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Bryant Dunking on Kareem like he's a beetch *VIDEO*

He actually looks to be a better one-footed leaper than his son. But I thought no one could leap before 2003?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    He actually looks to be a better one-footed leaper than his son. But I thought no one could leap before 2003?
    Baskets were about a foot shorter back then.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    Baskets were about a foot shorter back then.
    Forgot about that.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

He seemed to have jumped higher than his son.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Centers/PFs weighed 190-220 pounds on average. Much easier to jump when you are rail thin than the average 250+ lb C/PF nowadays. This is part of the reason why it was much easier for guards to penetrate as there was generally a lot more room in the lane. Also helped SGs/SFs in getting offensive rebounds because the disparity in size and strength between positions wasn't as great as it is now.

^ I really hope that's sarcasm. If not...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Centers/PFs weighed 190-220 pounds on average. Much easier to jump when you are rail thin than the average 250+ lb C/PF nowadays.
    You don't know wtf you are talking about if you think all the centers were rail thin and 220. That wasn't the case, but even if it were, you don't see KG getting abused inside by smaller guys do you? Weren't people clamoring he was the backbone of Boston's defense and DPOY? Not to mention you think all the bigs today are 250+. How stupid are you?

This is part of the reason why it was much easier for guards to penetrate as there was generally a lot more room in the lane.
    A lot more room in the lane? Guess what: they didn't have to leave the lane every 3 seconds. They didn't have to worry about the charge area. And the defense didn't have to spread the floor as much because teams weren't so focused on shooting the long ball. The lane was more crowded before compared to today. They blocked the lane more than today, which is why big bruisers like Mark Eaton blocked the **** out of teams because he was just a wall that camped the lane. You are a moron.

Also helped SGs/SFs in getting offensive rebounds because the disparity in size and strength between positions wasn't as great as it is now.
    Last edited by Showtime; 05-19-2009 at 03:24 AM.

shhhhhhh

that would be 1979-80 there..#31 is haywood, bryant would have been 25 years old in that video, first year with the clippers

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

eh wish they had more highlights of his dads plays

NBA rookie of the year

Centers/PFs weighed 190-220 pounds on average. Much easier to jump when you are rail thin than the average 250+ lb C/PF nowadays. This is part of the reason why it was much easier for guards to penetrate as there was generally a lot more room in the lane. Also helped SGs/SFs in getting offensive rebounds because the disparity in size and strength between positions wasn't as great as it is now.
    Totally disagree. Especially about the lane being less crowded than today, for many of the reasons cited by Showtime.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    You don't know wtf you are talking about if you think all the centers were rail thin and 220. That wasn't the case, but even if it were, you don't see KG getting abused inside by smaller guys do you? Weren't people clamoring he was the backbone of Boston's defense and DPOY? Not to mention you think all the bigs today are 250+. How stupid are you?

Average weight of center back then was 214 lbs. Today it is 245+. Darryl Dawkins and Lanier were the only ones over 250 lbs and Dawkins was probably the heaviest in the late 70s. For comparison's sake, KG is 253.

So yes, I do know what I'm talking about when I say they were "rail thin and sub 220".

edit: Joe Bryant played PF/C and he is listed at 185
    Last edited by Fatal9; 05-19-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Average weight of center back then was 214 lbs. Today it is 245+.
    Prove it. Where is your data? Are you just looking up a couple of college weights from basketball-reference.com?

Guys like Charles Oakley and Kevin Willis would eat this league alive. Look at Kevin Love. The guy gets his fat ass around the court, gets physical, and is praised as a top prospect in that class for post players. Are you kidding? Only in today's game.

And second, as I already pointed out, even if that false claim was true, KG has been a top defender in the league and he was around 220 and rail thin, especially at his peak in the early 2000's. So please show me how, because of his frame, that he gets abused on a nightly basis.

Darryl Dawkins and Lanier were the only ones over 250 lbs and Dawkins was probably the heaviest in the late 70s. For comparison's sake, KG is 253.
    Kg isn't 253. You are dreaming.

So yes, I do know what I'm talking about when I say they were "rail thin and sub 220".
    No, you don't. You haven't provided any factual averages, heights, weights, etc. You have said only two players were of comparable size to today's post players. That's all a bunch of BS.

And thanks for not trying to defend your claims about the crowded post because you can only make yourself look more foolish.
    Last edited by Showtime; 05-19-2009 at 03:46 AM.

owwwww

Dude, I just picked a random year from the 70s of centers and got 214.6 as the average weight. How are you even arguing this? Just LOOK at the players, there is a visible 40-50 pound difference between them and today's centers. This shouldn't even require a calculation(though I went ahead and made one). Go check the average weight for yourself.

KG isn't 253? Find me a listing that says he isn't.

Who was heavier than Dawkins at 251 in the late 70s? There is ONE player and he was a bench warmer. KG who is one of the wiriest players at the PF/C spot is heavier than him.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    And thanks for not trying to defend your claims about the crowded post because you can only make yourself look more foolish.
    In theory what say sounds right but watch the actual games. The difference between spacing is insignificant. Usually the two players on the wings would stand exactly where the corner side three point line is. Just because there wasn't a three point line doesn't mean players were confined to a 15 ft radius from the hoop. Secondly, the defender guarding the three point shooter is usually the one who ends up providing help so you need to get rid of this idea where defenders are glued to the shooter, especially when teams play zone.

Now, I will admit rotations were much quicker but what I say is especially true in cases where the defense wasn't set, which happened to be for a good portion of the game considering how fast paced it was.

Dude, I just picked a random year from the 70s of centers and got 214.6 as the average weight. How are you even arguing this? Just LOOK at the players, there is a visible 40-50 pound difference between them and today's centers. This shouldn't even require a calculation(though I went ahead and made one). Go check the average weight for yourself.
    What specific year? What is your source? Where is your information?

And if you did get them from bball reference, then you aren't getting accurate weights. Moses Malone = 215? Yeah, out of HS at 18, but not in his prime. C'mon, you can't be that stupid.

KG isn't 253? Find me a listing that says he isn't.
    Find me ANY source that puts him over 230. Did you just go to his Wiki page? LMFAO. He's been thin all his career, and hasn't built a large amount of muscle mass. He's bulked up since coming into the league, but he's not over 250.

Here's Moses Malone, who you think was 215 his entire career:

Early days:

Peak

Now here's a player who is of similar height, but who you think has 40lbs on Malone:

KG coming out of high school:

KG at his peak in 2004/05:

KG in Boston:

There's no way he has 40lbs on Moses.

I'm done with you.
    Last edited by Showtime; 05-19-2009 at 04:16 AM.