Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ☆Official Jim Buss Thread: Jimmy will QUIT if team doesn't compete in 3-4 years

We may not be stuck with him forever after all
    Maybe he'll decide 2 years is enough instead of 3-4 years.....lets pray!!!!

LINK
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 05-01-2014 at 12:43 AM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: Jimmy will Quit if team doesn't compete in 3-4 years

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    We may not be stuck with him forever after all

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ntender-status

Maybe he'll decide 2 years is enough instead of 3-4 years.....lets pray!!!!
    Fast-forward 3-4 years and if they haven't contended I don't see him stepping down for some reason, just sounds like something to be used as motivation for employees by an owner looking to put himself on the line but I wouldn't see him actually doing it, do you? Even if it was at a business meeting I just don't see that as a sincere offer, if he goes back on his word it's not like he can be removed unless the whole family or something consent to it so it's not like anyone can force him to leave if he decides to stay? I just see it as a spare of the moment comment that will be forgotten even if it was during a business meeting unless he signed a contract on it or signed an affidavit/written oath then I somehow don't see/trust it as being a sincere comment or a promise.
    Last edited by $LakerGold; 05-01-2014 at 12:42 AM.

NBA lottery pick

I wish he would step down, but I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I wish he would step down, but I don't see it happening.
    Not that I disagree with you......I don't BUT.......what happens if the Lakers suck the next few years, the fans stop going to games, the writers and fans call for his head and players don't want to play here, we can't get a quality coach....now all revenue streams die down except TV contract and Jimmy is a hated figure throughout LA. At that point it is possible he may actually step down.......ugh, dark, dark times!!!!

Default Re: Laker News: Jimmy will QUIT if team doesn't compete in 3-4 years

You guys really think Jim is the problem?

What about just some bad freaking breaks?

We lose CP3 to bball reasons...
    Howard leaves...
    The Mike D decision is what we can hang on him I guess...
    And I think he overplayed Kobe which lead to his injury...

But really we had some bad luck.

NBA lottery pick

Not that I disagree with you......I don't BUT.......what happens if the Lakers suck the next few years, the fans stop going to games, the writers and fans call for his head and players don't want to play here, we can't get a quality coach....now all revenue streams die down except TV contract and Jimmy is a hated figure throughout LA. At that point it is possible he may actually step down.......ugh, dark, dark times!!!!
    It could happen, but I don't think things are going to be quite that bad. I don't expect next season to be great either. It takes a few years to rebuild, but it can be turned around pretty quick.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner

Howard leaves...

I would say Howard left because of 'antoni and Jim. I blame that on him too. The CP3 thing was just bad luck. The league really screwed over the Lakers with that one.

Howard leaves...

I was thinking of the same things. Not saying Jim is a great executive but it seemed like he made more than 10 major mistakes that caused ALL THESE.
    Yes, he picked 2 bad coaches but after that?
    Got rid of not ONE but TWO damaged players in Odom and Bynum.
    Almost had CP3...
    Yes, I heard he let TWO really good conditioning coaches/trainers but what else?

Howard leaves...

Sure some bad luck, no doubt about it.......but Jimmy is a complete dumbass, I warned you guys years in advance that we would be terrible if he took control.
    If any one else was in charge.....would they blow the Phil Jackson layup?
    Would anyone else interview the terrible coaches that he did.....don't forget that he interviewed Mike Dunleavy twice Maybe he thinks a guy named Mike should always coach the team???
    He is a dunce, and don't expect a dunce to do smart things or be successful, it's just not going to happen.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

I believe he is the major cause, yes I do.

The Lakers have had some bad breaks, but they have also made some piss poor decisions.

The Lakers were hosed by both the new CBA and the CP3 situation. That, I will grant you.

Howard leaves...
    Howard said that if Phil was coaching here instead of D'Antoni, he would have stayed.

Damn right we can hang that on him. All on him. Nobody else.

I think Kobe was at least as much to blame for that as anybody.

Some of that 'bad luck' was brought about by Jim Buss' decisions, especially the one to hire anybody-but-Phil. Not that I could guarantee a championship run if Phil was here, but I think some things would be different if he was here.

#1) Phil is the coach instead of D'Antoni. I also would envision PJ putting together a succession plan to transition to a younger coach with the winning system continuing to be the cornerstone of the team's identity.

#2) Howard stays. DH is not perfect, but he's worlds better than Chris Kaman and Robert Sacre.

#3) If PJ and Howard are here, even if the Lakers had a rough season, they would still be a free agent destination rather than a second-rate punchline to be avoided.

#4) Pau Gasol is utilized in a way that maximizes his potential. Probably wants to stay much more than he does now.

Is Phil perfect? Certainly not. But there would be much more hope than there currently is. I believe the Laker's basketball problems can be solved. I don't believe the current people in charge of the Lakers can solve those problems.

I would like to see that guarantee on paper, and signed. Otherwise, it's just smoke and hot air.

NBA All-star

I don't know why Phil left for the Knicks besides the fact he played there before
    I think it would be tough to say that Health wasn't a factor in not keeping Phil

What happens with the Knicks, in terms of Phil's conflict with Dolan, as well as who he hires as the GM is still yet to be seen.

We can't nessecarily say it's going to be guarnteed success over there

Would it have helped?

I think we go back to Phil's health concern, but I guess the man is just truly passionate about basketball, and just got that itch that needs to be scratched.

That Kobe contract, is going to reflect what type of fans Lakers fans are.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Default I owe Jim Buss a public apology

I have made statements on ISH that basically (or outright) declared that Jim Buss was the 2nd best owner of an NBA franchise located in Los Angeles, and that Donald Sterling was a better owner. I was wrong about that.

As much as I abhor what Jim Buss is doing, he has never shown himself to be such a completely despicable chunk of fecal matter wrapped in human skin as Donald Sterling has revealed himself to be.

I will not be spending one thin dime to support the franchise until he no longer the owner of the team.

Hey guys! Been a while. Decided to read in because all I hear now is the sterling situation.

Jimmy Buss, hmm. He's much of a gambler as his father was (R.I.P.) and a lot of his stubbornness is what can kind of tick us off. For example, why didn't D'Antoni get fired after nearly the entire fan base pretty much revolt? I guess the difference we all seem to overlook is that some gambles end up being very lucky jackpots.

Its what the great Jerry had done when he was a young and energetic owner. He gambled, and it paid off most of the time. Jerry's accomplishments were more surrounded by the amount he had changed the game. Halftime shows, cheerleaders, and creating an environment for the largest basketball fan base that made it really fun to attend laker games. It'll be damn near impossible to ever see any new innovation.

What I like about Jim is one thing though, the man seems to have some big balls of steel. He makes the really tough decision. He makes the decision that most people wouldn't dare to make and he'll take the hate for it. Additionally, he believes in having a superstar as much as his father did.

On the other hand I think 3-4 years is good enough to prove himself. Miss you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Hey guys! Been a while. Decided to read in because all I hear now is the sterling situation.

Jimmy Buss, hmm. He's much of a gambler as his father was (R.I.P.) and a lot of his stubbornness is what can kind of tick us off. For example, why didn't D'Antoni get fired after nearly the entire fan base pretty much revolt? I guess the difference we all seem to overlook is that some gambles end up being very lucky jackpots.

Its what the great Jerry had done when he was a young and energetic owner. He gambled, and it paid off most of the time. Jerry's accomplishments were more surrounded by the amount he had changed the game. Halftime shows, cheerleaders, and creating an environment for the largest basketball fan base that made it really fun to attend laker games. It'll be damn near impossible to ever see any new innovation.

What I like about Jim is one thing though, the man seems to have some big balls of steel. He makes the really tough decision. He makes the decision that most people wouldn't dare to make and he'll take the hate for it. Additionally, he believes in having a superstar as much as his father did.

On the other hand I think 3-4 years is good enough to prove himself. Miss you guys!
    Welcome Back!!!!

Uh.....you are being WAY too kind to the dummy......you know, someone could say an insane person makes the tough decisions that no one else would....right? Dumb people make dumb decisions that smart people wouldn't make.......it's a simple as that. I think 99.9% of Lakers fans would have taken Phil over 'Antoni....but hey, stupid is as stupid does. I'm not going to sugar coat a thing because he's not done screwing up yet.

Welcome Back!!!!

Uh.....you are being WAY too kind to the dummy......you know, someone could say an insane person makes the tough decisions that no one else would....right? Dumb people make dumb decisions that smart people wouldn't make.......it's a simple as that. I think 99.9% of Lakers fans would have taken Phil over 'Antoni....but hey, stupid is as stupid does. I'm not going to sugar coat a thing because he's not done screwing up yet.
    Thank you sir!

Well here is his chance....He's got the chance to hire a good coach. Everyone is talking about Byron Scott but I don't like that hire. Whats your take on that?