NBA lottery pick

Default Laker News: Mitch Kupchack Extended

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to a multiyear extension with general manager Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers, in response to an ESPN.com report earlier Tuesday night, confirmed the new deal for Kupchak to reporters late in the fourth quarter of a 145-130 loss to the Houston Rockets. Kupchak has presided over four NBA championships since succeeding Jerry West as the Lakers general manager in 2000. He has been with the organization since retiring as a player in 1986. ESPN LA

The timing of the extension is also effectively a vote of confidence to reflect the Buss families' trust in him to shape the future of the organization, sources said. ESPN LA
    I didn't really see this coming yet. I guess his first responsibility after inking this deal is to find a new coach :)

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Default Re: Kupchack Extended

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I didn't really see this coming yet. I guess his first responsibility after inking this deal is to find a new coach :)
    This seems to be the year for multiyear extensions ...hmm wonder if I can get a job as...what's Jacksons job with the Knicks? Oh yeah President of Basketball Operations with a multi-year contract and job security

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Kupchack Extended

i am glad this happened. now the family needs to get together work their crap out. let the people they hire run the business just add input on the big stuff.

Default Re: Laker News: Kupchack Extended

I should have said this last week, Mitch and Buss should have talked to MDA that he's not coming back that they'll make up a story that he's had a some kind of condition like depression that he's rehabbing in their vacation house in Hawaii and that they have asked Mark Madsen to take over.
    Madsen is very smart, went to Stanford who was not very skilled but found a way to play a few years in the NBA bec of his wit. Should have given him about 7-10 games to prove his worth as a coach, like an audition. If not, well....

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I should have said this last week, Mitch and Buss should have talked to MDA that he's not coming back that they'll make up a story that he's had a some kind of condition like depression that he's rehabbing in their vacation house in Hawaii and that they have asked Mark Madsen to take over.
    Madsen is very smart, went to Stanford who was not very skilled but found a way to play a few years in the NBA bec of his wit. Should have given him about 7-10 games to prove his worth as a coach, like an audition. If not, well....
    I think for the next head coach they'll go after a college guy. Calipari, Izzo, Coach K, Olli, there's a few others too. I think anyone with significant NBA experience just isn't going to feel right. Someone that has a fresh record might get a little more of a pass in LA while the Lakers build it back over the next year or two.

I think for the next head coach they'll go after a college guy. Calipari, Izzo, Coach K, Olli, there's a few others too. I think anyone with significant NBA experience just isn't going to feel right. Someone that has a fresh record might get a little more of a pass in LA while the Lakers build it back over the next year or two.
    Fresh record like Mike Montgomerry, Tarkanian etc Calipari I felt had an unfair shake at New Jersey bec of injuries but still a huge risk IMO.
    If they are going to lure these great college coaches, then they will have to pay them a lot, why not use the $ and add a huge bonus if they go far on proven ones like Jeff Van Gundy. Offer him 5 mil/year for 3 years plus 2 Mil if they go as far as WCF, 1 Mil exra if they go past the 2nd round.

NBA lottery pick

I don't ever consider JVG a candidate. I don't feel like he wants to coach.

??? So, if the Lakers went 10-0 you would actually hire him as a NBA head coach???
    Don't get me wrong, Mark Madsen is one of my all-time favorite people who played for the Lakers, a smart guy and complete class act.......but he really needs coaching experience at a lower level and work his way up.

NBA lottery pick

I wouldn't be happy with a Mark Madsen hire.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    ??? So, if the Lakers went 10-0 you would actually hire him as a NBA head coach???
    Don't get me wrong, Mark Madsen is one of my all-time favorite people who played for the Lakers, a smart guy and complete class act.......but he really needs coaching experience at a lower level and work his way up.
    I know you like Mad Dog too.
    But my question to you is what's the harm?
    I like you would prefer not just a veteran coach but a PROVEN WINNER TOO.
    I can't help to ponder tho his potential. I mean how Riley, JVG etc Heck even Pops, they had to start somewhere.

I know you like Mad Dog too.
    But my question to you is what's the harm?
    I like you would prefer not just a veteran coach but a PROVEN WINNER TOO.
    I can't help to ponder tho his potential. I mean how Riley, JVG etc Heck even Pops, they had to start somewhere.
    If you are talking about the last 10 games of a season.....heck, even last 20 of THIS season, I would've been ok with that.......but to hire him as head coach for a real season would make us look like complete idiots, even worse than hiring the last 2 horrible coaches.
    We would lose any credibility for the near future and could forget signing any high profile FAs. We really can't afford to do a real season coaching tryout.

Let Mad Dog get experience elsewhere and then if he's good he will come home to lead us.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Might as well extend him. They're all making plenty of bank no matter what they put on the floor.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers could have Staples Center empty for all their home games and still turn a profit from their TV deal with TWC alone

Of course I'd like to believe they have some incredible master plan and all possible contingencies worked out to get the ship righted and headed for championship contention next year

Here is what I see as the current state of the team:

* Finished with a 27-55 record (.329)

* 2nd worst in the NBA for points allowed per game at 109.2 (only PHIL was higher at 109.9)

* 4th worst point differential per game

* 6th worst W/L record in the league

* Worst season in franchise history?

* The Lakers have MDA signed for three more years.

* They extended KB for two more years at a questionably high salary given the current conditions.

* The current management team has bungled almost everything they have had their hands on for the past two years (at least).

* The Lakers have supposedly set themselves to sign some top level talent this off-season, and possibly next season as well. Many of the current players are only on one year deals, so the team has options. The problem is that there isn't likely to be much top tier talent that seriously would consider the Lakers as a destination worthy of signing with.

As hard as this season was to endure, I don't see next year being significantly better. A snowball has a better chance in hell than the the Lakers have of contending for a championship next year. Just making the playoffs would be a more realistic expectation.

It will be in the two seasons after next season that the Lakers will have a chance to get properly reloaded and possibly contend. Such a team will have almost no connection with the current squad IMHO.

No matter which way it plays out, the Lakers appear to be playing with house money, with no one to truly answer to, and no real compelling reason to put a contending product on the floor next season.

That's why I wouldn't be too surprised to see MDA back next year. Conventional wisdom would have him hitting the bricks by tomorrow morning, but I think even the Lakers know they need to buy another year of sadness and disappointment before they can really bust any serious moves.

It's going to be rough, but we'll just have to work through it and see what shakes out after next season. Patience grasshoppers. We're going to need it.