Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I rule the local playground dubnation's Avatar

Default Re: Curry is one of the most athletic players in the league

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    You're a fool OP - Steph's athletic prowess stems from his alien-like ballhandling skill.. That allows him to make athletic plays that would otherwise not be possible WITHOUT the handle.

But let's ask him to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7gpKonsnc&t=0m06s

forget about it, he can't come close.. guys like rose, lebron, wall, jordan, westbrook, kobe, many more ATHLETIC players can do it easily.. but not curry.. he's an all-time great specifically due to the existence of the 3-point line, which turns half his shots from the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a sub-40% 2-pointer), into the highest efficiency shot of all time (a sub-40% three-pointer).
    Dude, please stop. Just enjoy it. Steph is another legend in the making, no one except the most retarded posters are taking anything away from MJ, he's the GOAT. The 3 point line exists and it's part of the game -- stop f*cking complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    You're a fool OP - Steph's athletic prowess stems from his alien-like ballhandling skill.. That allows him to make athletic plays that would otherwise not be possible WITHOUT the handle.

But let's ask him to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7gpKonsnc&t=0m06s

forget about it, he can't come close.. guys like rose, lebron, wall, jordan, westbrook, kobe, many more ATHLETIC players can do it easily.. but not curry.. he's an all-time great specifically due to the existence of the 3-point line, which turns half his shots from the lowest efficiency shot in the game (a sub-40% 2-pointer), into the highest efficiency shot of all time (a sub-40% three-pointer).

so you are telling me Curry is the GOAT despite having inferior genetics (athleticism) something no one can control. He simply has better basketball skills than MJ and others alike. So much better that it makes up for the differences in their athleticism.

Gotcha!

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

His hand eye coordination, reflexes are otherworldly. Also, he is is VERY quick. Well above average. I've seen many times hes blown by defenders without a screen.

Banned

Talking Re: Curry is one of the most athletic players in the league

lillard is quicker,and will be him in the playoffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remember?dillard scored 51 points

and warriors lost by 32 points!

I disagree on this one. When it comes to the PG's, Westbrook and Wall set the bar in terms of freak athletic ability. I also think Lillard is more athletic than Steph as well. I tend to use freak athletic ability as the bar for this kind of post. So as great as Steph is, he doesn't really qualify in my opinion. Wall, Westbrook, Rose, Francis, Baron Davis, and KJ are guys who fit the bill in terms of top notch athletic ability at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I disagree on this one. When it comes to the PG's, Westbrook and Wall set the bar in terms of freak athletic ability. I also think Lillard is more athletic than Steph as well. I tend to use freak athletic ability as the bar for this kind of post. So as great as Steph is, he doesn't really qualify in my opinion. Wall, Westbrook, Rose, Francis, Baron Davis, and KJ are guys who fit the bill in terms of top notch athletic ability at the point.
    So balance, strength, hand-eye coordination, etc. aren't athletic traits?

I 100% agree he doesn't come close in traditional athletic measurements compared to those guys, but we should consider other things too imo. He's not just a shooter.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riks
    My point is it isn't only those things. Of course those things are ways of demonstrating athleticism.
    yea but if you start using things like hand eye coordination, balance, change of pace/quickness etc as athletic traits how do you even differentiate between a skilled player and an athletic one ?

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    yea but if you start using things like hand eye coordination, balance, change of pace/quickness etc as athletic traits how do you even differentiate between a skilled player and an athletic one ?
    Kobe is a skilled player. But he's not athletic, anymore. Just because you can't jump out of the gym or you don't have ridiculous top end speed doesn't mean you aren't athletic.

Steph has incredible pound for pound strength, balance, deceptive quickness, etc.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubnation
    Kobe is a skilled player. But he's not athletic, anymore. Just because you can't jump out of the gym or you don't have ridiculous top end speed doesn't mean you aren't athletic.

Steph has incredible pound for pound strength, balance, deceptive quickness, etc.
    op is saying curry is one of the most athletic players .. by that definition Dirk could be considered one of the most athletic for his incredible hand eye coordination and quickness / dribbling skill for a 7 footer.

But hand eye coordination is the most important athletic trait for becoming supremely skilled.. so idk, I would propose it to not have much signifigance in a whose more athletic debate. Westbrook, Wall, pre-injury rose were just far more athletic than Curry is right now.. but its their lack of Curry-like hand eye coordination and focus that makes them inferior overall skill wise.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

whatever you want to call it, its obvious he has the greatest communion of skill, athleticism and agility in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dubnation
    So balance, strength, hand-eye coordination, etc. aren't athletic traits?

I 100% agree he doesn't come close in traditional athletic measurements compared to those guys, but we should consider other things too imo. He's not just a shooter.
    Of course Steph is more than a shooter! U can look at his stats and tell he's more than a shooter!! But Steph ISN'T a freak athlete kind of superstar. When u are talking the best athletes in the league, u are talking freak athletes at the top. Steph DOESN'T fall in that class.

Westbrook's athletic gifts give him the ability to play BIGGER than his 6'3-6'4 height. Steph doesn't have that same athletic advantage. Hand eye coordination, strength, and balance are important attributes. BUT U CAN BE the slowest guy in the room and STILL have those same attributes. The greats who combine speed, power, and leaping ability the best WILL ALWAYS reign on top for this kind of post. Or AT LEAST they should....
    Last edited by bizil; 03-02-2016 at 06:30 PM.