Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony is currently the best player in basketball

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    people said the same about duncan's scoring. he was so fundemantally sound, he would be able to score forever, even when his athleticism was gone.

well, they were wrong, timmy can barely score in the post anymore

there is a difference between not relying on athleticism, and relying on the mediocre athleticism that you have.

in duncan's case, he was in that second group, and i think melo is too.

will melo be able to get the seperation he needs, when he is older and doesnt have the same athleticism? i doubt it
    Duncan isn't as good of a player as people think he is. Sorry, but it's just true. If he was as tough and skilled as people said, he would still be scoring. He should be wetting jumpers, too. No reason why dude doesn't have 3 point range. I mean he does, but he could be shooting 3s. He should be wet from everywhere and be able to score on anyone in the post. He didn't suddenly get smaller. There aren't suddenly better players guarding him.

Maybe he's not trying... but he should be able to do his thing still, and if he can't that says, to me, he's not the all time great people thought he was.

Edit: but on the other hand 15 and 9 is not bad.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 04-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Duncan isn't as good of a player as people think he is. Sorry, but it's just true. If he was as tough and skilled as people said, he would still be scoring. He should be wetting jumpers, too. No reason why dude doesn't have 3 point range. I mean he does, but he could be shooting 3s. He should be wet from everywhere and be able to score on anyone in the post. He didn't suddenly get smaller. There aren't suddenly better players guarding him.

Maybe he's not trying... but he should be able to do his thing still, and if he can't that says, to me, he's not the all time great people thought he was.

Edit: but on the other hand 15 and 9 is not bad.

-Smak

how can you re-evaluate his production from 5, 10 years ago, based on what he is doing now? thats just nonsense

as for 3pt range, duncan is a great passer, and a good offensive rebounder, both of these skills would be wasted out on the three point line, plus the spurs already have plenty of 3pt shooter. duncan would be wasted out there.

how can you re-evaluate his production from 5, 10 years ago, based on what he is doing now? thats just nonsense

as for 3pt range, duncan is a great passer, and a good offensive rebounder, both of these skills would be wasted out on the three point line, plus the spurs already have plenty of 3pt shooter. duncan would be wasted out there.
    Disagree man. 3 Point range is always worthwhile. Kevin Love is a great offensive rebounder and passer, too. It totally changes the game to have a big who can shoot the 3. Not talking about Okur... someone who can just float out. When you have people who drive like Parker and Manu, having spacing players is great. Plus it's a huge momentum changer. You don't think having a C hit a 3 makes the other C play differently on defense? He's less likely to help out.

And I am not re-evaluating his skills. I'm saying the same thing I always said. Duncan is a great player but he's not a top 10 player. I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.

-Smak

Disagree man. 3 Point range is always worthwhile. Kevin Love is a great offensive rebounder and passer, too. It totally changes the game to have a big who can shoot the 3. Not talking about Okur... someone who can just float out. When you have people who drive like Parker and Manu, having spacing players is great. Plus it's a huge momentum changer. You don't think having a C hit a 3 makes the other C play differently on defense? He's less likely to help out.
    citing love is kind of silly, hes probably the one player in nba history to be both a prolific three point shooter, as well as an offensive rebounder. and as far as love being a great passer, i disagree. and if he is a great passer, how many of his passes come from the 3pt line? very few.

thats why they have guys like matt bonner.

timmy is a master at passing out of the post, be it high or low, and helps parker and manu pentrate, with his passing

And I am not re-evaluating his skills. I'm saying the same thing I always said. Duncan is a great player but he's not a top 10 player. I can't believe anyone would argue otherwise.
    Duncan isn't as good of a player as people think he is. Sorry, but it's just true. If he was as tough and skilled as people said, he would still be scoring.
    . . .

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

people said the same about duncan's scoring. he was so fundemantally sound, he would be able to score forever, even when his athleticism was gone.

there is a difference between not relying on athleticism, and relying on the mediocre athleticism that you have.

in duncan's case, he was in that second group, and i think melo is too.

will melo be able to get the seperation he needs, when he is older and doesnt have the same athleticism? i doubt it
    I think thats a good point with the separation, but I think he'll still be able to get it done. People forget he's actually a very good ball handler for his size, and combine those solid handles with a perfectly placed hesitation or head fake and he'll be able to get some looks.

Worst case scenerio I see him playing similar to how Jordan played during his Washington days... Athletcism long gone but he took to the post, turn around fade-away jumpers, a timely spin followed up with a headfake if the defenders still in front of him, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    Worst case scenerio I see him playing similar to how Jordan played during his Washington days... Athletcism long gone but he took to the post, turn around fade-away jumpers, a timely spin followed up with a headfake if the defenders still in front of him, etc.
    my point is that these things still take athleticism. and timmy is a good case study for that.

if you arent a threat to blow by guys, with your athleticism, the defender can get way up into you, and make these shots much tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by miggyme1
    Ok kobe is sittin out right now so wats your point?
    His point is Kobe is now sitting out 4 or 5 games, and the last time he missed games was 2 years ago. The last time before that was 3 years prior, and all were for less than a handful of games. Doesn't equate with injuries Amar'e has had over the last few years.

U dont have one!why u worried bout the knicks anyway?
    No one is 'worried' about the Knicks but when someone makes a thread declaring a Knicks player the best in the world from less than 5 games, you have to expect some backlash.

melo has been showin improvement....that is a FACT
    Melo has shown improvement in 5 games after having by far the worst season of his career for about 45. It doesn't quite make up for it, nor does it even come close to justifying considering him the best in the world. Any time Kobe LeBron or Durant do this (hot streak) the response is always "let's see what they do in the playoffs" but when Melo does it, he's all of a sudden the best? How low the standards are set for him by his own fans should show you that at the moment, he's not in the same league as LeBron/Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    Now I know for sure your mother drank heavily when she was pregnant with you.

Let's play the retard game and use another 5 game stretch from this year.

March 17th-24th:

Carmelo Anthony

14. ppg / 5.8 rpg / 2.8 apg / 1.2 spg / 0.389 FG% / 0.117 3P FG%

Remember when you were........ oh right, you were nowhere to be found during then.

Figures a dickmuncher like you is only posting when Carmelo plays like the guy the Knicks traded half their team for.

Kill yourself. Please.
    I love how you conveniently leave out minutes per game. Why? Because in that beginning stretch under Woodson the Knicks were destroying teams, blowing them out very early in games and Melo as a result hardly played over 30 minutes in most games, which of course took a toll on most of his stats.

The word "now" is kind of a heavy qualifier to what this thread is discussing, jackass. Melo couldn't get a rhythm going earlier in the season because of injuries, and then subsequently being underutilized in the offense and misused as a jumpshooter and bailout shot taker instead of as a post facilitator, which is his natural game. If you think a sub40 FG% defines Melo's abilities in any way, lay off the crack pipe. A healthy Melo in this league is a 30 ppg scorer, and without any consistent scoring threat on the Knicks, he has led the squad to an 8-4 record without both Lin and Amare.

last 12 games he is at +30 ppg, +50% FG. u mad?

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    I love how you conveniently leave out minutes per game. Why? Because in that beginning stretch under Woodson the Knicks were destroying teams, blowing them out very early in games and Melo as a result hardly played over 30 minutes in most games, which of course took a toll on most of his stats.

The word "now" is kind of a heavy qualifier to what this thread is discussing, jackass. Melo couldn't get a rhythm going earlier in the season because of injuries, and then subsequently being underutilized in the offense and misused as a jumpshooter and bailout shot taker instead of as a post facilitator, which is his natural game. If you think a sub40 FG% defines Melo's abilities in any way, lay off the crack pipe. A healthy Melo in this league is a 30 ppg scorer, and without any consistent scoring threat on the Knicks, he has led the squad to an 8-4 record without both Lin and Amare.

last 12 games he is at +30 ppg, +50% FG. u mad?

Yeah these idiots try to skew stats. I'm not going to check but Im assuming that was during the winning streak we had under Mike Woodson, where we were frequently blowing out teams and Melo would sit the majority of the 4th quarter. He was playing around 28mpg if I remember. People expecting Melo to score 28ppg in 28mpg, what dumbasses
    Last edited by NewYorkNoPicks; 04-18-2012 at 10:38 AM.

is this a joke. the guys that melo were guarding scored a total of 58 points. pierce went 11-19 for 43 points and brandon bass shot 6-8 with 15 points.

best player in the league my ass. more like 1 dimensional streaky scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    is this a joke. the guys that melo were guarding scored a total of 58 points. pierce went 11-19 for 43 points and brandon bass shot 6-8 with 15 points.

best player in the league my ass. more like 1 dimensional streaky scorer.
    He had a Triple Double last night

I didnt know contributing extensively in 3 or more categories constitutes a 1 dimensional player

He had a Triple Double last night

I didnt know contributing extensively in 3 or more categories constitutes a 1 dimensional player
    and 1 games stats constitutes as the best player in the league?

Not surprising he's doing well in Woodson's iso-driven offense. It's the same system that got Joe Johnson a friggin max contract.

Problem is it doesn't work nearly as well in the playoffs when defenses lock down.

7-time NBA All-Star

He's obviously not the best player in general, but nobody in the league has played better the last month. Everyone knows about his scoring, he's as good of a scorer as anyone when he's healthy and motivated, but he's been consistently proving that he's a good passer(underrated, but some have taken more notice, Knick commentators have been talking about it all season), and he's one of the best rebounder SF.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Actually he sucked giant balls in the 4th, Knicks should thank Novak for closing the game like he did.
    Novak was phenomenal, but Melo had an amazing all around game. I love having Novak, you need shooters like that, but there's really no way to diminish Melo's game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    amar'e and melo are just a disaster. but i'm remembering it wasn't THAT bad last year. wasn't great, but wasn't that bad. why? because amar'e was hitting that 18-20 foot jumper very well. if you watch highlight tapes from amar'e from last year, his 25+ point games before melo featured a lot of points in the point. after melo came along there were a lot more jump shots. not ideal, because it makes amar'e less efficient, but I'd rather see that than the mess that has been most of this season.
    They weren't anywhere near this bad together last season. You're right, Amare's jumper looked much better last night, but he was also more explosive.

Part of the problem is that Amare seems to play better at center offensively because he has more room for his jumper and more of a quickness advantage offensively over the man guarding him. Aside from that one stretch after the Shaq trade in '08, his best offensive basketball has always been at center.

Remember, he got off to a slow start last season, was switched to center and started playing arguably the best basketball of his career before the Melo trade.

Even after the trade they were a pretty high scoring duo last year. Here are their numbers after the all-star break.

Melo- 26.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3 apg, 2.4 TO, 46.1 FG%, 57.5 TS%
    Amare- 23.5 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.6 TO, 1.3 bpg, 49.1 FG%, 55.3 TS%

Obviously Amare wasn't nearly as good as he was before the trade, and it strangely brought down the other parts of his game, but about 50 ppg between a duo is pretty damn good. Only went 14-14, but that's not bad with a supporting cast of Billups(who missed 7 of those games), Toney Douglas, Landry Fields, Shawne Williams, Ronny Turiaf and Anthony Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by airchibundo507
    last 5 games:

31.4 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.6 spg, 52.2% FG, 37% 3P FG

and against elite defenses such as chicago, miami and boston

find me better numbers, btch
    Last 12 games(since Lin and Amare went down)

30.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.9 TO, 1.6 spg, 50.4 FG%, 59.3 TS%

2 things wrong with this. Duncan was not a mediocre athlete for a 7 footer when he was young, and he's playing very well right now at about 36 years old.

He's had knee problems, and his stamina also hasn't been the same, which have affected his game. I did probably expect him to have stayed elite longer than he did, but how well he's playing right now at his age deserves a lot of respect, and he's remained an essential part of an elite team. Not many stars can make that transition so smoothly as they decline.

Duncan should be shooting 3s? What the hell are you talking about? That would make no sense...at all.

He's always had a nice shot up to about 18-20 feet, and I wouldn't want him out any farther than that.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    Not surprising he's doing well in Woodson's iso-driven offense. It's the same system that got Joe Johnson a friggin max contract.

Problem is it doesn't work nearly as well in the playoffs when defenses lock down.
    Well, there's a massive difference between Joe Johnson and Melo. I don't think anyone other than the Hawks thought giving Johnson a max contract was a good idea.

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

You pretty much had nothing to say in your reply aside from the fact that youre upset. Boohoo wahhhhh somebody doesnt like your team and it rubbed you the wrong way lmao. "wahhhh somebody doesnt like my Rockets wahhhhhh". Youre retort mirrors that of a 5 year olds temper tantrum, alot of noise and whining but when its over nothing of value was said or accomplished. What a loser so mad somebody isnt a Rocket fan
    What the f*ck you just say? Seriously. Everything that you just said makes 0 sense. Wow you're an ever bigger retard than I initially suspected.