Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: John Wall's stats since March

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He's a game changing player, and his stats don't even do him justice. Some of the things he does on the court only a handful of players can do in the league.
    thats something i noticed too. His team usually loses but whenever he puts up good numbers it leads to actual wins. He doesnt put up empty stats

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    They drafted Beal to be the shooter. Wall is there to run the offense. His shooting will get better too. His form is good. It's not jacked up like MKG.
    If his form is already good and he still can't shoot, then there isn't much to fix. A max deal sounds crazy for Wall, but these NBA teams sure do like to throw money around.

Wall has nice court vision and extremely fast. He actually has a nice shooting form, hopefully he gets more confident with that stroke.

I bet he will get the max contract, teams throw around money like its nothing.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

The Wizards are like 17-12/18-12 when both Wall and Nene play, the guy seriously takes a lot of crap from everywhere without that much reason, the guy simply helps his team win theres not doubting that.

19.9 ppg, 7.6 apg, 4.5 rpg, 2.0 spg, 0.9 bpg, 51.3 fg%, 50.0 3fg%, 86.5 ft%.

Not including tonight in which he had 17/5/11 on 8-11 fgs and 3 steals.

Still think he doesn't deserve a max deal?

24.4 ppg, 9.14 apg, 4 rpg, 1.57 spg, 51.2% FG
    I guess Jeremy Lin deserves a max deal too during his 7 game win streak with the Knicks.

How else is Washington going to keep him unless it a max or near max deal? He still has like a year or two on his rookie deal to improve his consistency and after that he will almost certainly get a max deal.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    How else is Washington going to keep him unless it a max or near max deal? He still has like a year or two on his rookie deal to improve his consistency and after that he will almost certainly get a max deal.
    Agreed. Too much stock is put into Wall's one downside: his jumpshot. How about the things he does do well? As good as it gets at the pg position when it comes to shotblocking and rebounding, elite athleticism, good vision, good handles, and his defense is underrated. Like severely underrated, man and help. Would like to see him more under control, though he has improved in that department this year. I know, I know... lol @ .071 from 3

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    i know beal is a good shooter, and im not saying wall needs to be a great shooter, just not a terrible one, like he currently is.

when your primary ball-handler cant shoot at all, its really shrinks the floor. his shooting doesnt need to be a weapon, just something to keep the defense honest.

and maybe he does improve, i just wouldnt be very confident that it does.
    Here's why Wall being an average shooter is kind of irrelevant if you surround him with two players like Beal and Webster (and for the record, he's been shooting well this past month from 15+ feet, which also just happens to coincide with him finally getting back into basketball form after his injury): when Wall's on the court with Beal and Webster, they outscore their opponents by 15 points per 100 possessions and the main reason is because the trio kills teams from 3 point line.

Wall finds three point shooters (especially for corner threes) than just about anyone in the league. Even if defenders sag off him, Wall is able to cover enough ground quickly that it really doesn't make that much of a difference. He still has the ability to draw defenders towards him and get the ball to shooters. And when those shooters are Beal and Webster, things get interesting. When those three are on the floor together, they make 2.6 more three pointers than their opponents per 100 possessions while taking 6.1 fewer three pointers (and their percentage is about 25% higher than their opponents). This is significantly better than when Beal and Webster have played with any of the other three Wizards ball handlers this season (namely, Price, Temple, and Crawford). Despite his lack of a good jumper, if you surround him with players who can knock down shots, he'll find them and they'll be a beneficial jump in the teams production (and it's much better when he's finding disciplined players like Beal and Webster as opposed to Crawford and Young).

But to get to the larger point about why this month and next are important for Wall is fairly simple. For the first month and a half, he was getting back into basketball shape and finally looks to be approaching something like 100%. What were seeing now is more indicative of the progress Wall has been making in his off time than earlier when he was trying to get his legs, wind, and conditioning back up to his normal standards. I suppose, it's understandable for people to dismiss how he's playing for a variety of reasons (end of the season, playing against scrubs, good teams not taking them seriously, and so on), but if he continues to play this well, it's going to be hard to deny that he isn't starting to reach his potential and making large and tangible strides towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Here's why Wall being an average shooter is kind of irrelevant if you surround him with two players like Beal and Webster (and for the record, he's been shooting well this past month from 15+ feet, which also just happens to coincide with him finally getting back into basketball form after his injury): when Wall's on the court with Beal and Webster, they outscore their opponents by 15 points per 100 possessions and the main reason is because the trio kills teams from 3 point line.

Wall finds three point shooters (especially for corner threes) than just about anyone in the league. Even if defenders sag off him, Wall is able to cover enough ground quickly that it really doesn't make that much of a difference. He still has the ability to draw defenders towards him and get the ball to shooters. And when those shooters are Beal and Webster, things get interesting. When those three are on the floor together, they make 2.6 more three pointers than their opponents per 100 possessions while taking 6.1 fewer three pointers (and their percentage is about 25% higher than their opponents). This is significantly better than when Beal and Webster have played with any of the other three Wizards ball handlers this season (namely, Price, Temple, and Crawford). Despite his lack of a good jumper, if you surround him with players who can knock down shots, he'll find them and they'll be a beneficial jump in the teams production (and it's much better when he's finding disciplined players like Beal and Webster as opposed to Crawford and Young).

But to get to the larger point about why this month and next are important for Wall is fairly simple. For the first month and a half, he was getting back into basketball shape and finally looks to be approaching something like 100%. What were seeing now is more indicative of the progress Wall has been making in his off time than earlier when he was trying to get his legs, wind, and conditioning back up to his normal standards. I suppose, it's understandable for people to dismiss how he's playing for a variety of reasons (end of the season, playing against scrubs, good teams not taking them seriously, and so on), but if he continues to play this well, it's going to be hard to deny that he isn't starting to reach his potential and making large and tangible strides towards it.
    and corner 3's are the most efficient shot in the game. He puts a defender on skates, draws the help, and then whips if out for 3. It's so beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    and corner 3's are the most efficient shot in the game. He puts a defender on skates, draws the help, and then whips if out for 3. It's so beautiful
    You know, I watch most Wizards games and this is something that had to be pointed out to me (by someone on True Hoop, I think). Watching how Beal and Webster both instinctively float to the corners whenever Wall drives or is on a fast break is something (they don't do this quite the same when Price and Temple are pushing the ball). This is night and day compared to when Wall would play with Crawford and Young, neither of whom have a clue how to pick their spots or move to smart points on the floor when they don't have the ball.

Wall is so overrated it is sickening.

He isnt really a vertical athlete although he has blinding speed he can't jump like Shannon Brown or Derrick Rose.

He commits a lot of turnovers

His body language and attitude is questionable in my book....too much fruity boy dancing (just my opinion)

And despite the Wiz putting some good pieces around him ppl still blame his teammates for their sub par showing and not him....actually they are doing well considering so I retract that point.

Nene, Okafor, Beal, Webster, and Booker is a decent supporting cast in the East for a "superstar pg" though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    24.4 ppg, 9.14 apg, 4 rpg, 1.57 spg, 51.2% FG
    I guess Jeremy Lin deserves a max deal too during his 7 game win streak with the Knicks.

Jeremy Lin actually did get the MAXIMUM amount that a team was allowed to pay according to the CBA.

Also John Wall is a #1 pick with a lot more potential. Jeremy Lin went undrafted. I don't think it's fair to compare them in that way. Teams pay #1 overall picks a lot more than they do undrafted free agents.

Jeremy Lin actually did get the MAXIMUM amount that a team was allowed to pay according to the CBA.

Also John Wall is a #1 pick with a lot more potential. Jeremy Lin went undrafted. I don't think it's fair to compare them in that way. Teams pay #1 overall picks a lot more than they do undrafted free agents.
    That's exactly my point. They both had a great games stats-wise during that short stretch but both of them do not worth the max. Wall is all based on potential. The risk is so much greater when the player is so unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    And despite the Wiz putting some good pieces around him ppl still blame his teammates for their sub par showing and not him....actually they are doing well considering so I retract that point.

Nene, Okafor, Beal, Webster, and Booker is a decent supporting cast in the East for a "superstar pg" though.
    The line-up of Nene, Okafor, Webster, Beal, and Wall is one of the most productive line-ups in the NBA season as they outscore their opponents by nearly 28 points per 100 possessions (Booker really hasn't been healthy this season). When Wall's on the floor the Wizards at nearly 7 points better on offense and nearly 4 points better on defense. The only player on the roster with better on/off numbers than that is Nene. This on top of the fact that the Wizards are 17-14 since Wall's return and he's finally playing excellent ball since getting his conditioning back up to snuff.