Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Most unique players to play in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Who comes to mind? In particular, I'm thinking of guys who had unusual skillsets or the ability to fill several different roles (different roles meaning you rarely see them embodied in the same player, for whatever reason) at a high level. Here are the first ten guys that came to mind:

Charles Barkley
    Larry Bird
    Kevin Durant
    Kevin Garnett
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Magic Johnson
    Dennis Rodman
    David Robinson
    Bill Russell
    Maurice Stokes

I've left out the point forwards we've seen since they're the most cited, but they're obviously worthy of mention so feel free to bring them up.
    Magic Johnson the first that came to mind.

Toni Kukoc could play all four position with the exception of center. Because of his height he was used as PF in his Bulls days and was considered the tallest pointguard in Europe. In fact his most natural position should be the SF position.

Michael Jordan could play at SG, PG and SF positions.

Charles Barkley is also unique as he could play even at center. He had such power game for his height.

Given the size - Arvydas Sabonis was 2.21 man (7ft 2) with the skill set of a pointguard in terms of vision, creativity and passes. Very unusual for a man his size. Very sad he do not fullfill his potential. Had he went to NBA at 20 I am sure he could be one of the greatest players ever. In my evaluation I think he would be more of a 22-24 ppg 14-15 reb pg 4 apg for 38 mpg player rather than 30 ppg 12 rpg as Shaq was in his prime. And he was used at PF for Soviet team untill he ruptured his Achilles. I believed that in his younger days he was better rebounder than D. Roninson for example. And the video footage from his two pre-NBA meetings shows that (he had 24 rebounds for him vs 15 rebounds for the Admiral).
    The fact that at 39 years he was the best player in Euroleague sums it all.
    Last edited by julizaver; 03-22-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Most unique players to play in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    allen iverson- shooting guard in a point guards body, best crossover until they banned it, crossed mj twice in his prime, played every game like his last, over 20 injuries and still played, best player to led a horrible team to nba finals, theres too much to say about this guy, he talked about tha actually game not practice, 6'0 but played like 6'6, one of tha true 50 greatest players

His 95-96 year isn't considered his prime. He was still BETTER than anyone, but that's not his prime. His prime was the early 90s.

The first person that come to mind was Dennis Rodman. His ability to rebound was just amazing to watch. I remember pausing a game between Knicks and Bulls. Ewing had an easy rebound, alone by himself, Dennis Rodman about 3 feet away behind him. Seeing that still, Ewing so freaking tall, going up for the ball with those long arms, there's just no way that Dennis Rodman could possibly get that rebound. I mean the ball was about a foot away from Ewing. Dennis Rodman got the rebound. It was just so entertaining to me.

Spud Webb - slam dunk champion at 5'7".

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    His 95-96 year isn't considered his prime. He was still BETTER than anyone, but that's not his prime. His prime was the early 90s.
    First of all that was 96-97, second, m.j was still in his prime

First of all that was 96-97, second, m.j was still in his prime
    It was a good play, but like many plays I feel like the hype was overblown. It was an effective move and it caught Jordan off guard but it wasn't some earth shattering move.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Stockton, never a short/skinny white guy was so tough

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    It was a good play, but like many plays I feel like the hype was overblown. It was an effective move and it caught Jordan off guard but it wasn't some earth shattering move.
    It probably was hyped up a Lil bit, but we talking about Iverson here, has one of a kind player

hes not unique hes a disgrace to mankind

Lebron James - I am honestly trying to be as unbiased as possible here but i would be lying to myself if i thought i saw something more unique than this... Ive never seen a guy with the combination of size, speed, strength, quickness, agility, endurance, cardio and injury tolerance/recovery he possess.... He has also great allround set of skills, one that sticks out as it does just for Magic is his ballhandling/vision/passing which for a guy 6'9"-260 is very unique aswell.... all this all in all allows him to play/dominate almost all positions and even efficiently guard all positions.... you cant say this about any other player in NBA history....... He is Magic offensively , He is Pippen defensively, both one of the most unique players ever in their own right, he is both and MORE...

Magic Johnson - 6'9" PG.... could play/dominate from almost all positions (offensively)... enough said...

Charles Barkley - Certainly maybe (i say "maybe" only because of Rodman) the most unique PF i ever seen, was 6'4" but played much bigger than that...

Scottie Pippen - Could do it all on both ends, especially defensively where he could extremly efficiently basically guard all positions.... a lighter Lebron offensively/overall, but with even more defensive focus/intensity... which is more than enough to say he was unique...

Kevin Durant - Perimeter scoring arsenal at near 7 feet, is a pure shooter, that moves like a cat.

Larry Bird - At 6'10" was perhaps the most skilled player i ever seen with my own eyes.... could score as anybody, could shoot as anybody, could rebound as anybody, could pass as anybody.... you name it...

Shaquille O'Neal - The most physical behemoth ive ever seen and could move, run, jump overall like nobody i ever seen at that ridicilous size...

Dennis Rodman - At 6'7" PF, the best rebounder & defender i ever seen....

Those stick out for now, there are many more that were unique in one way or the other... im sure maybe Russell, Wilt and Oscar would be up there aswell if i ever saw at least ONE game from their prime, instead of just listening to stories...
    Last edited by pauk; 03-22-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Shawn Marion is pretty unorthodox/unique. . His shot timing, awkward footwork, and shooting motion. They all throw the defenders natural rythym/timing off.
    Good pick. Unique makes think not of size/ability as much as style. Nash is unique to me for keeping his dribble alive going baseline and his variety of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Shawn Marion is pretty unorthodox/unique. . His shot timing, awkward footwork, and shooting motion. They all throw the defenders natural rythym/timing off.
    Exactly the player I thought of. On top of that his allround game is only rivaled by a few players.

queen James, manage to be overrated superstar with tha worst finals 4th quarters performances, unbelievable

And the stupid one upping of kobe vs lebron fans shows up after only 10 posts.

I hate kids these days

Also shaq has to be the most unique talent I've seen.

No way a guy that size should be as quick and agile as he was.

and oh... Jordan... just because he was so much better than everybody else...