Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what is the difference between "peak" and "prime"?

I only read this on ISH. Ive alway thought that a players prime was when they were at their best. And last about five-six years from 26-32.

But i always read posters mentioning peak and prime as if theres a difference. Can you really be better than your prime?

Default Re: what is the difference between "peak" and "prime"?

Peak is your absolute best 1 or 2 year stretch. Prime is a sustained high level of play for several years.

Banned

Peak = Absolute best, when you were at your very best, like your very best season.

Prime = Close to absolute best and includes your absolute best.

Lets take Tim Duncan for example.

His absolute peak was probably in 2002 and 2003 while his prime probably was probably from his rookie season or 1998 to about 2007.

There are plenty of players in history who have had a high peak play but low prime play due to the fact that they were unable to sustain their dominance which is more times than not due to injuries at least with all-time greats. A perfect example is probably Tracy Mcgrady.

It's the same difference between the best and the absolute best.

7-time NBA All-Star

Yeah, prime is an extended stretch, typically around 5-6 years when you're game is at it's best, but peak is your absolute best, I've interpreted it to be a player's best season.

For example, Shaq's prime was around '98-'02 and his peak was '00. Or Magic's prime was '87-'90, but many consider his peak to be '87. Pippen's prime might be from '92-'97(though '94-'96 was his absolute best), and his peak is widely regarded as '94.

"Absolute best" seems kinda redundant. If your great, then your great. It seems as if perhaps people just look at a players best statistical season and call it their "peak". And forget the circumstances, roles, coaching chages etc.

Like duncan. Ive never seen a change in his game from even when he was a rookie.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    "Absolute best" seems kinda redundant. If your great, then your great. It seems as if perhaps people just look at a players best statistical season and call it their "peak". And forget the circumstances, roles, coaching chages etc.

Like duncan. Ive never seen a change in his game from even when he was a rookie.
    Nah, statistics aren't the only thing I use at all when I determine a player's peak or prime for that matter. Shaq put up 29/13/3 on 60% in '94, but he was raw and closer to a 7'1" Dwight Howard, so I don't even consider that his prime, or extended prime(which may be '95-'03).

And another example is that I sometimes lean towards '08 as Kobe's peak even though it is not his best statistical season, either '06 or '08 for me.

Bird's peak was '86, imo, even though he was better statistically in '85, '87 and '88.

I simply go by how well they play the game, what they've added to their game ect., sometimes that will reflect in statistics to some degree, but many things can't be measured in numbers, and nothing can be summed up in numbers.

Pippen's best statistical season was '92, 21/8/7 on 51%, but he was a better outside shooter, an even smarter defender and had a better post game from '94-'96 and was simply a better player to me than '92 despite his numbers being better than ever in '92.

Duncan was unusual, he entered the league closer to his prime level than any top 10 player I can think of, or any great period. But there were slight changes, very small in that his passing got even better and I think he became a bit more dominant defensively. And obviously, there's been a change since his prime. He's lost a significant amount of athleticism since the early-mid 00's and stamina.

A prime can last 10+ years. A peak is the absolute best season or 2.

Great college starter

Peak is when your on the top of your game, physically and mentally. Prime is playing at a high level over an extended period of years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

It goes:
    enter league->development---->prime------>peak->decline--->retirement.

I just dont see why the term peak is needed. Lets take magic for instance. 87 is considered by many to be magics best statistical season (what you guys would call peak) year. Why? He scored the most ppg in his career cuz riley asked him to assume a larger role in the offense as far as scoring. Does that make him better than say 86 or 88?

As a pippen fan, i feel his most impressive season was 95. Why? Not cuz he improved from 94. But cuz his role was so huge due to personnel.

I didnt see a change in birds game in 86. But his team the record record they had while bird was there.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Nah, statistics aren't the only thing I use at all when I determine a player's peak or prime for that matter. Shaq put up 29/13/3 on 60% in '94, but he was raw and closer to a 7'1" Dwight Howard, so I don't even consider that his prime, or extended prime(which may be '95-'03).

And another example is that I sometimes lean towards '08 as Kobe's peak even though it is not his best statistical season, either '06 or '08 for me.

Bird's peak was '86, imo, even though he was better statistically in '85, '87 and '88.

I simply go by how well they play the game, what they've added to their game ect., sometimes that will reflect in statistics to some degree, but many things can't be measured in numbers, and nothing can be summed up in numbers.

Pippen's best statistical season was '92, 21/8/7 on 51%, but he was a better outside shooter, an even smarter defender and had a better post game from '94-'96 and was simply a better player to me than '92 despite his numbers being better than ever in '92.

Duncan was unusual, he entered the league closer to his prime level than any top 10 player I can think of, or any great period. But there were slight changes, very small in that his passing got even better and I think he became a bit more dominant defensively. And obviously, there's been a change since his prime. He's lost a significant amount of athleticism since the early-mid 00's and stamina.
    Well stated. I am in full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I just dont see why the term peak is needed. Lets take magic for instance. 87 is considered by many to be magics best statistical season (what you guys would call peak) year. Why? He scored the most ppg in his career cuz riley asked him to assume a larger role in the offense as far as scoring. Does that make him better than say 86 or 88?

As a pippen fan, i feel his most impressive season was 95. Why? Not cuz he improved from 94. But cuz his role was so huge due to personnel.

I didnt see a change in birds game in 86. But his team the record record they had while bird was there.
    I agree, it's hard to pin-point one single year a player was at his best. For me peak is the best 2-4 seasons of a player, because like you mentioned they play at a certain absolute best level for more than a season. Thus Magic's peak would be 87-90 for me. His prime would be the next level down, including his peak, which for Magic was basically the rest of his career (80-91).
    Last edited by Gifted Mind; 06-03-2012 at 10:26 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    It goes:
    enter league->development---->prime------>peak->decline--->retirement.
    Pretty much...but I would add that both prime and peak come pretty early in the career of the greats. It's just usually a question of how long their prime career lasts.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    I agree, it's hard to pin-point one single year a player was at his best. For me peak is the best 2-4 seasons of a player, because like you mentioned they play at a certain absolute best level for more than a season. Thus Magic's peak would be 87-90 for me. His prime would be the next level down, including his peak, which for Magic was basically the rest of his career (80-91).
    Both Magic and Chamberlain had ENTIRE PRIME careers, with unbelieveable PEAK seasons (and some even separated.) They were both dominant from their first game until their last one (e.g...Chamberlain had a 43-28 17 block first game, and a 23-21 last game in game five of the '73 Finals.)