Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fire Dwane Casey

this is why you get a good stretch before each game.

Default .

No offense to the guys in here, but I wouldn't listen to any non-professional when they are talking about icing/hot baths.

Give it time. Rest is a weapon.

On thursday I played the first 90 min soccer game last 1.5 years. No other sports since then, just playing lazy basketball with my neighbour. Played in a house league, so I played the whole game, and now my legs are killing me! I had intense lactic acid problems during the game that were dehabilitating so I've been eating many bananas. But my entire legs hurt, like yours, but I am just going to rest up a bit. Nothing else I can do.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

my gait is rather awkward

when I walk up and down steps, the front of my kneecap flares up

Banned

Have you been stretching properly before playing? That might be part of it. I'm certianly no expert though.

Dirk had problems with sore legs recently too.. and his trainer watched tapes and said he was running on the forwqard portion of his foot too much rather than the heelof his foot. You always want to land on the heel of your foot.

Not airballing my layups anymore

ice and rest. stretching immediatly after your workout will help you recover faster as well.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

oh well i should get more stretching in the future.

these games were all for recreation but were mostly running and gunning. there was a lot of cherry picking and a lot of long outlet passes I had to chase. not much tim efor rest and stretching.

Bucks fan

This is going to sound weird, but trust me... You need to make an ointment that's two parts semen and one part vinegar, and then massage that into your legs. Let it soak in for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water. You'll be back on the courts tomorrow morning feeling better than ever. Thank me later.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Why you want to ice

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    No offense to the guys in here, but I wouldn't listen to any non-professional when they are talking about icing/hot baths.
    Well the reason you don't want to apply heat is because the leg is sore due to localized swelling. Heat makes swelling worse. Ice to constrict blood vessels to aid recovery. Take it from me - I run marathons, this is pretty common knowledge amoung runners.

Also if you stretch, cold stretches are not a good idea. This means that if you want to stretch before the game - fine - but you have to run around a bit to loosen up first. Cold stretches can lead to injuries.

Quick googling of the subject:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml

[CODE]Remedy:
    To help the pain, ice the area immediately after running. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime[/CODE].

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

i thought you were the mature one on this board adamcz. :confused:

Bucks fan

Hey, if you don't want help, don't create a help thread.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

no need to start a flame war.

but common sense preaches you don't put *** into anythin except a lady... or a plastic cup for a sperm bank.

I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm Jerm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AKA AAP
    I use them quite a bit. I don't know about ankle injuries, but they definitely help with calf strains and cramps. Without it, there's a 90% chance I'll get a cramp...with it, it's more like 5%. And in both conditions, I stretch out before playing.
    You still insist you're not a fat kid?...

Unregistered
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default .

Well the reason you don't want to apply heat is because the leg is sore due to localized swelling. Heat makes swelling worse. Ice to constrict blood vessels to aid recovery. Take it from me - I run marathons, this is pretty common knowledge amoung runners.
    That's a bit misleading. You can't make a general statement like that without knowing the specific cause of the pain, or when even to apply the heat/cold. If it's an injury, ice helps. If just overuse, heat can be effective if applied after the muscles have sufficiently cooled down to increase blood flow. Your statement that constricted blood vessels aid recovery is totally false. Bloodflow and nutrients are what cause recovery, and less blood and nutrients get in to a muscle if its cold and constricted. Ice is only to reduce swelling.

Unregistered
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Hey VC, your symptoms are absolutely indicative of overuse. You need to rest your legs. If you're also having knee problems, that means you have a muscle imbalance and probably need to strengthen your quadriceps. If you are playing as much as you say you are, you're catabolizing your muscles and you're actually getting weaker legs as you play, which puts greater stress on your ligments and is what's causing your pain. What you need to do is:

1) Stop any high-impact physical activity with your legs for a week (no running, jumping. Swimming is ok).

2) Before returning to the court, spend another week strengthening your legs.

You'll run faster and jump higher the next time you return to the court if you give yourself that rest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    This is going to sound weird, but trust me... You need to make an ointment that's two parts semen and one part vinegar, and then massage that into your legs. Let it soak in for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water. You'll be back on the courts tomorrow morning feeling better than ever. Thank me later.
    I think the reason he's really sore is because of his run to the bathroom, and by the run to the bathroom I mean after he *********es and gets semen on his lap he runs to the bathroom to rinse it off with cold water. He's already using that damn ointment. You'll have to come up with a more potent solution.